1655 in external case

prolific of course.

anyone try it in an external enclosure?

or should i wait for official external 1655 f/w?

wfm

what’s wfm?

lol. sorry. works for me. prolific 3507 with latest firmware.

Works fine with latest firmware BUT…

You will be limited to 12x over USB or firewire (bo some test burns in CDDVDSpeed as I can only do 8x over firewire, I used the test burn function in Qsuite to save from burning lots of discs).

When BenQ release an external DW1655 we will be able to hit 16x on firewire.

What would be really nice is if someone found the instructions in the DW1640 external firmware that changed the IDE transfer rate by compairing it to the DW1640 internal firmware and see if it can be changed on the DW1655 firmware.

I am sorry if I am not following what you mean here. In the external 1640 firmware BEFB or BEGB the firmware is UDMA 4, in the 1655 in an external enclosure using a Prolific 3507 chipset the firmware is UDMA 2 because there is no external firmware available.

What would be really nice is if someone found the instructions in the DW1640 external firmware that changed the IDE transfer rate by compairing it to the DW1640 internal firmware and see if it can be changed on the DW1655

If there is no external firmware for the 1655, how can it be changed? What instructions? Excuse if me I do not understand, I am not that knowledgeable about the inner workings of firmware structure.

I am sorry if I am not following what you mean here. In the external 1640 firmware BEFB or BEGB the firmware is UDMA 4, in the 1655 in an external enclosure using a Prolific 3507 chipset the firmware is UDMA 2 because there is no external firmware available.

Yes, correct. No UDMA4 firware exists currently for the DW1655.

If there is no external firmware for the 1655, how can it be changed? What instructions? Excuse if me I do not understand, I am not that knowledgeable about the inner workings of firmware structure.

Ok, we have both a DW1640 internal & external firmware, the difference between them is one is UDMA2 and one UDMA4 (appart from a name change). If the difference in the 2 could be found then it may be possible to change the DW1655 firmware from UDMA2 to UDMA4 as the interface chip is the same, just a different revision. This would then allow 16x burns in an external case.

I will admit that sometimes I dont make any sence, so please feel free to call me Mr Flibble.