1655, few errors but data verification fails?

vbimport

My 1655 has worked near-flawlessly since I got it, with only a handful of discs failing verification. I had to replace a dead motherboard with an ECS KM-400-M2 and remove a bad stick of ram, leaving me with 256MB. I’m not entirely sure that one is all good either.

Now most burns fail data verification, but show no problems during burning and a low number of errors in a scan. This is with all the same media I used before, Verbatim, hp, and Memorex. From the same package even.

The log file has the nero log, then a comparison using the command line comp, then the logs from the quality scan. This is on a Verbatim MCC 004 disc. Could it be a problem with the ram or motherboard?

Here’s another scan and data check on an HP dvd-r.

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD LS DW1655
Firmware: BCAB
Disc: DVD-R (CMC MAG. AE1)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 12
Average: 4.03
Total: 18617
PI failures
Maximum: 9
Average: 0.11
Total: 560
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 9.7 %
Average: 8.68 %
Scanning statistics
Elapsed time: 5:27
Number of samples: 7955
Average scanning interval: 8.05 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

C:>comp
Name of first file to compare: e:*
Name of second file to compare: c:\downloads\videos*
Option:
Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e01.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e01.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e02.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e02.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e03.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e03.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e04.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e04.avi…
Compare error at OFFSET 412C267
file1 = 68
file2 = D5
Compare error at OFFSET 412C26F
file1 = 7B
file2 = C9
Compare error at OFFSET 412C277
file1 = 85
file2 = 27
Compare error at OFFSET 412C27F
file1 = B2
file2 = 10
Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e05.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e05.avi…
Compare error at OFFSET A3FB137
file1 = 0
file2 = 73
Compare error at OFFSET A3FB13F
file1 = 0
file2 = A2
Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e06.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e06.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e07.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e07.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e08.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e08.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e09.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e09.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e10.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e10.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e11.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e11.avi…
Files compare OK

Comparing E:\Ghost in The Shell s2e12.avi and C:\downloads\videos\Ghost in The S
hell s2e12.avi…
Files compare OK

Lots of things can cause a file compare failure.
The disc can be perfectly playable and still fail file compare.
Why not burn a whole disc, then scan it @8x instead of
@maximum? 8x is the standard scan speed for BenQ.

Try changing the IDE cable to your BenQ burner. You should use an 80 conductor cable - not the older 40 conductor cable.

If you are overclocking your system, then try removing the overclocking.

Your data is probably being corrupted on the way to and/or from the BenQ drive, and this cannot be detected by a PIE/PIF scan.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I also suggest you to clean out your lower/upper driver filters. :wink:
(Probably there once was/or is a Roxio software or like installed, [I]CDR4_2K.SYS[/I] and [I]CDRALW2K.SYS[/I].)
You can read here how.

Thanks for the help. I was using an 80 conductor cable. After replacing it with a spare, I still get the same problem. I don’t overclock. This is a fresh windows install, the only nero ever installed on it is the one that came with the drive, which used to work fine.

BENQ____DVD_LS_DW1655_BCAB_27-April-2006_00_05.txt (9.14 KB)

Hey Chuck44,

Which one of your 2 BenQ’s you like better and why? the 1640 or 1650?
BTW, what firmware are you running on your 1640?

Thanks! G!

Hi Stone Rhino,

There is NEW version of “NERO CD-DVD Speed” available online and is free. Install that and try your tests.

Also, what program do you use to do your burns? Are you making and ISO file then burning it? If so, try using “ImgBurn” program … works Great.

Gonwk!

So far, my 1640 gives a little more consistant quality
burns, but I’m hoping that will change as the
1650’s fw gets upgraded.

Your problem is RAM related AFAIK.

Try test your Ram with MemTest (there is bootable ISO) or any other tool.

Hope this help you.

Indeed, same thing (unexplicable verification errors; I also had RAR and PAR failures) happened to me a while back; changing RAM modules helped.