1650 - odd failures with -R media.. any ideas?

vbimport

My 1650 unit warks flawlessly with +R media.

With -R media, from time to time (about 1 burn out of 4-5) the burn stops with an error. As I burn ISOs with DVDDecrypter, the error message doesn’t mean much but I post it nevertheless. The failure never happens at the same place, it’s totally erratic.

Before you ask, the failed burns happen with high quality -R media as well (MCC02RG20, MCC03RG20, TYG02 - all 100% genuine), also with both firmwares I’ve tried (BCDC, BCFC). But never with +R media (several different MIDs).

Of course this drives me nuts. Never happened with my (now dead) 1640.

Any ideas? Could it be some incompatibility 1650/dash media/Decrypter? Faulty burner? System? :confused:

Why not burn with ImgBurn?

:iagree: give imgburn a try.

to: SantaKlaus
are you using QSUITE 2.1 with your 1650 drive? i use the same DVD-R media that you mentioned with no problems. I burn with imgburn,decrypter and nero burn. If you’re using QSUITE then maybe the problem could be the drive itself. are you sure the dvd media is genuine? post the media ID for other members to see. Generally Benq drives do favor DVD+R media but with all the firmware upgrades for 1620, 1640 & 1650 DVD-R media can be burned just as well as DVD+R.

IVE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM
Just got a RMA drive back from benq as i contacted them about this issue

burnt -r media and got terrible results and tried a +r media and got excellent results.

As you can see in my screens my -r TY disc gives terrible end results, where my Verbatim +r gives perfect results.

Yes I do. I tried SB ON/OFF for known media too.

i use the same DVD-R media that you mentioned with no problems. I burn with imgburn,decrypter and nero burn.
Thanks for the input, this probably means it’s my unit that is at fault then.
are you sure the dvd media is genuine?
100% positive, you can trust me on this :wink: The Verbatim MCCs do have the right stampercodes as do the TYG02 (also Verbatim-branded). Besides this also happens with other -R mids.
post the media ID for other members to see.
I did! :confused:
Generally Benq drives do favor DVD+R media but with all the firmware upgrades for 1620, 1640 & 1650 DVD-R media can be burned just as well as DVD+R.
Yes I’m aware of that, when the burns succeed the burn quality is excellent. :iagree:

No you don’t! You’re talking about burning quality, not failed burns. :confused: - as I mention in my post above, when my -R burns succeed the burning quality is excellent.

As a sidenote, your so-called “terrible” scan of TYG02 looks more like defective/smudged media than burner quality issue (jitter stays low), but that’s only conjecture I admit.

Besides I’ve read that BCHC has issues, don’t know if this could be related to your problem.

ive had the same problem, when ive burnt discs they become unreadable
Im getting pretty frustrated with this drive and spent too many coasters on it

But that TY02 wasnt smudged, i’ll add another one, but notice AGAIN at the end of the disc i get massive errors, the disc becomes unreadable at the end

My drive has been replaced and nothing has improved???

So as I said above: probably it’s your media. When you see PIF clusters like these 99% of the time it’s the media that is defective (bad dye spreading) or damaged, or sratched, or dirty. When you encounter such PIF clusters, [I]the first thing to do is to rule out the media issue by trying different discs.[/I]

Once again You are [I]not[/I] experiencing the same issue as mine. I never have PIE/PIF quality problems or readability problems, I experience [I]burning failures[/I] and they happen at erratic places during the burn, not at a specific place. Our issues are totally different.

Ok, when i burn the same disc on my Pioneer A08, the media works perfectly

As i said if i use +r media it works fine, if i use -r media i get massive errors

People can blame stuff on media, but unlesss you try other devices its generally the original unit at fault.

Maybe your media is bad ???

Why dont you post some images of -r quality scans???

Yes but have you tried different -R media.

People can blame stuff on media, but unlesss you try other devices its generally the original unit at fault.
In my experience it’s more often the media. But whatever.
Your original post shows dvd decryptor READING a disc that fails
:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It’s a WRITING process failing. Did you actually READ my original post? Looks like you didn’t. Which probably explains why you’re highjacking this thread with an off-topic issue that has nothing to do with mine.
Why dont you post some images of -r quality scans???
Why on earth should I? Just to put even more clutter in this thread? For the last time, my problem is NOT burning PIE/PIF quality. :disagree:

Why don’t you just open [I]your own thread for your own personal issue[/I]?? You’d be better off, and so would I.

What batch/serial number are those TYG02’s?

How about posting the Nero info tool log Klaus? Maybe some of the more experienced members can deduce something from that??

SantaKlaus wrote:

The Verbatim MCCs do have the right stampercodes as do the TYG02 (also Verbatim-branded).

If I am reading correctly you’re saying TYG02 is also VERBATIM branded. There’s your problem because TYG02 is NOT Verbatim media. TYG02 is TAIYO YUDEN media code and is not VERBATIM brand. You may have fake TYG02 discs. Please post the MEDIA CODE by using DVDINFO PRO or DVD IDENTIFIER. I’ve never heard of VERBATIM using TAIYO YUDEN to manufacture their dvd media. :wink:

DVD_ADDICT, the Verbatim Pastels embark TY dye.

SantaKlaus, at what speed did you burn the media ?
Try restricting to certified speed, 8X for example.

SantaKlaus: if the drive can burn +R excellently, I see no reason that the drive is defective.

So it turns error every 1 out of 4-5 burns no matter which -R media you tried? How about for the +R media, did you try to burn +R more than 4-5 times in a row?

@[B]people asking about the TYG02[/B]: these are genuine TYG02 with GGXXXXX serials. Believe me I know my stuff when it comes to media. :iagree:

@[B]DVD_Addict[/B]: Verbatim has sold lots of TYG02 discs in Europe last year when MCC stopped the production of 8X media. Right now they’re also selling YUDEN000T03 and TYG03 16X media. MCC03RG20 has disappeared so the only MCC own code here under the Verbatim brand, now, is MCC004. Apart from the possible backstock in some street shops, of course.

@[B]gregtherotterius[/B]: I don’t burn with Nero so I don’t see how I could post the log… I’m doing heavy ISO duplication these days. I don’t like to burn image with Nero but I can give it a go so maybe I can post a Nero log in the newt few hours.

I did, though, try to use Imgburn instead of Decrypter, as suggested, but still experienced the same issue at my 7th -R burn… :frowning:

@[B]Zevia[/B]: thanks for the insightful input :iagree: - Yes I’ve burned several +R in a row and didn’t experience any problem. I’ve burnt about 130 discs in the last few days, among these +/- 60 discs were +R (YUDEN000T02, CMCMAGE01, TDK003), all perfect burns. :cool: (mmh… perfect, in the case of the CMC discs, must be read “acceptable” :bigsmile: )

The odd burn failures happened only with -R media. At first I thought it was the media quality (I was burning questionable Ritek G04 discs when the issue first happened) but then the same happened with MCC and TY discs :frowning:

I never overspeed. :disagree: (EDIT: not when doing “serious” work, I mean. I DO overspeed from time to time for testing purposes :wink:

Please post the MEDIA CODE by using DVDINFO PRO or DVD IDENTIFIER.
That wouldn’t help in identifying fakes :rolleyes: - fake discs fake the MID, which is what you’re asking for. Fakes can be told apart from the [I]stampercodes [/I]and [I]serials [/I]only. FYI.

Sweet media. To bad it’s hard to find nowdays.

Almost any burning application produces a burn logfile. :wink:
Nero InfoTool log can also be useful in this occasions.
What type of PSU do you have SantaKlaus?

I like ImgBurn for ISO burning, you can continuously burn multiple images with the “Queue” mode without interruption.

When you encounter another error, please post the log file here in

tags. Looking at your first post, if the error is "Invalid Address for Write" I would guess it's a bad batch of media. Especially now you got error at your 7th -R burn (previously 4-5th).

Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

@[B]Pinto2[/B]: I have a 400W stabilised PSU (Akasa). But er… do you think the PSU quality could make a difference between +R and -R burns? Never heard of this possibility, but who knows… :confused: - besides, the successful -R burns are of extremely high quality…

@[B]Zevia[/B]: I’ll do post the log of my next failed burn. About Imgburn: I’m starting to really like it :iagree: . Didn’t think of using it since it’s the same burning engine as Decrypter (AFAIK) and got used to Decrypter…
Bad batch of media? :eek: SEVEN bad batches? :bigsmile: - I don’t think so. 3 different batches of CMC-made MCC02RG20, 2 different batches of TYG02 and 2 different batches of RITEKG04 (though I admit these are probably not to be trusted despite the very good scans of most succesful burns).
Besides, some of the +R I’ve burnt yesterday are of questionable quality (Datasafe-branded CMCMAGE01) and 12 burns went without a glitch. The scans, on the other hand… :disagree: :bigsmile:

I need a second 1650 unit anyway (I have 4 other burners from other brands but I NEED SolidBurn because of the questionable MIDs I sometimes have to burn :doh: ), so what I’ll do is buy a new one, start burning only to -R with it and see what happens…

Have you considered trying a recent Lite-ON burner, 5S/6S series drive, they have a similar technology to Solid Burn in the latest firmware called Hyper Tuning/Online Hyper Tuning which has been shown to give good results so far (even though it is technically a test firmware).