1640 & TY02 - Best Firmware & Settings?

Hi Guys,

I unexpectedly scored a new 1640 OEM drive :bigsmile:

I’ve been using a 1620 flashed to be a Pro drive, I don’t have the firmware version handy right now.

I have it set to book type to DVD-ROM and I’ve never messed with the WOPC so I assume it’s turned on.

I use Taiyo Yuden 8x +R white inkjet hub printable discs, I believe they are media code TY02 and I usually burn them at 8x.

The results have been stellar - just feed discs in and great burns come out!

Tomorrow I want to play with the new 1640. The plan is to burn a couple discs to make sure the drive is OK and then to flash it over to Retail firmware.

I know that there are no hard and fast rules and things vary depending upon the particular hardware, software, moon, stars, and planet alignments, but what is the general consensus for a firmware version that works well with this media? Should I leave the Solid Burn turned off for known media or is it a good idea to turn it on? Should the WOPC be on or off? Any other tips, tricks, etc.?

Thanks! :bow:

Steve

Well since no one replied I didn’t play too much - it came with BSMB on it and I burnt a couple discs and they quality scanned as well as my 1620 burns did. :smiley:

I downloaded BSMB just in case and then I downloaded BSRB, the most recent firmware, used MCSE to remove the rip lock and then flashed the drive. It flashed fine and it read a disc fine but alas I’m out of DVDs to burn (darn kids anyway - they keep raiding my stash of discs!) so further testing will have to wait.

I also downloaded Qsuite and used it to set the book type to DVD-ROM, but I left the WOPC and SolidBurn options at the default.

So far so good though!

Steve

hey steve:
can’t remember exact settings for the 1640 (don;t have one any more). but i have a few 1655 and i think the same process applies. qsuite is a good start, book type dvd-rom is correct. my benq’s always like dvd+r’s better than dvd-r’s. and when i’m burnin good media i turn off wopc and leave solidburn off. i get great great results with ty t02 media. good luck with burner.

Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it!

I was really interested in what firmware seems to work the best for everyone but evidently no one is using their 1640 any more, or no one uses the TY 8x +R injet printables from Rima :confused: .

It came with BSMB and some test burns showed it seemed to be as good as my 1620 was burning. I’ve flashed the drive to the latest firmware and when I get more media I’ll do some test burns and see what I get, if I’m not happy I think I’ll just back up one revision and try again . . . and repeat that process until I find the “sweet spot”. I figure each revision fixed something so if I work backwards I should end up with the best burning firware for my particular drive and have the most issues resolved (I figure I would give up some bug fixes for burn quality which is why I’m not going for the latest firmware and not doing any further testing).

Thanks again, take care and I hope you’re having great holidays!

Steve

[quote=SLR_65;1957317]Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it!

I was really interested in what firmware seems to work the best for everyone but evidently no one is using their 1640 any more, or no one uses the TY 8x +R injet printables from Rima :confused: .

It came with BSMB and some test burns showed it seemed to be as good as my 1620 was burning. I’ve flashed the drive to the latest firmware and when I get more media I’ll do some test burns and see what I get, if I’m not happy I think I’ll just back up one revision and try again . . . and repeat that process until I find the “sweet spot”. I figure each revision fixed something so if I work backwards I should end up with the best burning firware for my particular drive and have the most issues resolved (I figure I would give up some bug fixes for burn quality which is why I’m not going for the latest firmware and not doing any further testing).

Thanks again, take care and I hope you’re having great holidays!

Steve[/quote]
I use mine all the time, and I use BSLB firmware in the DW1640. It works the best for the two media types I use, MCC004-16X Verbatim and Yuden -000-T02-000 8X Taiyo Yuden media.

well I use BSLB and TY 8X -R inkjet printable from RIMA.

I personally cant justify to pay around 8$ more for +R.

I dont have any devices that doesnt accept -R discs.

In terms of burn quality on my -R inkjet printables, I see absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I did have some sony +r 8X TY that I used a long time ago.
Cant say that I saw any differance between them and sony -R 8X TY.

Thanks Guys, I will give BSLB a try!

As far as -Rs . . . I did have a couple issues with -Rs burnt in my BenQ not playing correctly in an old Apex player and my son’s PS2 didn’t like them either, though both of them were happy with -R burns from my old LiteOn 451s. The BenQ -R bug is actually kinda well known in the PS2 forums. +Rs fixed both issues so I’ve stuck with them.

TTYL,

Steve

If you booktype the +R media it will be compatible with any player. Get the Taiyo Yudens 8X, you will be happy with + or dash media.

Yep, booktyping the +R to DVD-ROM has solved all my issues. If I gotta pay 8 cents a disc more that’s just fine.

I agree too - the Yuden discs have been EXCELLENT discs for me!

What’s the scoop on Solid Burn?

I see in QSuite that it’s turned off for known media . . . wouldn’t it be good to have it dynamically learn all the time - even for known media?

Well I did a scan of my rima inkjet TY 8X-R. I have not scanned a dvd 5 in a long time so. So I burned and scanned one just for fun.

Burned and scanned with 1640 BSLB, solidburn on for known and unknown media.

I enable Solidburn for both known and unknown media. Here’s a good set of answers on SB, especially from Zebadee. Solidburn basically ‘learns’ how to write the media progressively, as opposed to having SB off and using the defined write strategy. Also, I’ve always left WOPC on. The only time you might want to turn it off is when you’re using very high-quality TY from Rima.com.

BSLB was probably the best firmware for the 1640, although I find BSPB seems just as good in results with TY and MCC mids (no difference I can tell)–plus under BSPB, your FE/TE test on blank media only takes ~ 45 for a scan (MUCH faster than under BSLB for a normal scan).

[QUOTE=Quema34;1969637]I enable Solidburn for both known and unknown media. Here’s a good set of answers on SB, especially from Zebadee. Solidburn basically ‘learns’ how to write the media progressively, as opposed to having SB off and using the defined write strategy. Also, I’ve always left WOPC on. The only time you might want to turn it off is when you’re using very high-quality TY from Rima.com.

BSLB was probably the best firmware for the 1640, although I find BSPB seems just as good in results with TY and MCC mids (no difference I can tell)–plus under BSPB, your FE/TE test on blank media only takes ~ 45 for a scan (MUCH faster than under BSLB for a normal scan).[/QUOTE]

I also use BSLB. This is the only firmware that I know of that doesn't slow down over & over while scanning (Haven't tried BSPB) but for burning, wouldn't the latest BSRB be the best, since these firmwares have progressed?

I thought about trying BSRB and I have indeed downloaded and have it, as well as most every firmware release I’ve found for the 1640, ready but most seemed to like BSLB so that’s what I tried first. I figured if I didn’t like it I would start at BSRB and run some tests, if I didn’t like it I would backup one release and try again and keep moving backwards to the firmware where QSuite was first supported (I don’t recall what version that was right off hand) and then compare results and choose the firmware that seemed to work the best.

To my pleasant surprise BSLB has been working just fine on my two 1640s - the PI Failures are usually 4 maximum and usually less than 100 total. :slight_smile:

Since nothing is broke I haven’t tried to fix anything! However I think I’ll turn SolidBurn on for my next few burns and see if perfection can be improved upon. :bigsmile: I’ll post back what the results are.

Steve

[QUOTE=SLR_65;1969799]I thought about trying BSRB and I have indeed downloaded and have it, as well as most every firmware release I’ve found for the 1640, ready but most seemed to like BSLB so that’s what I tried first. I figured if I didn’t like it I would start at BSRB and run some tests, if I didn’t like it I would backup one release and try again and keep moving backwards to the firmware where QSuite was first supported (I don’t recall what version that was right off hand) and then compare results and choose the firmware that seemed to work the best.

To my pleasant surprise BSLB has been working just fine on my two 1640s - the PI Failures are usually 4 maximum and usually less than 100 total. :slight_smile:

Since nothing is broke I haven’t tried to fix anything! However I think I’ll turn SolidBurn on for my next few burns and see if perfection can be improved upon. :bigsmile: I’ll post back what the results are.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, but as I said before scanning sucks on BSRB, and don’t you think that BSRB would have updated writing strategies since it is 2 years newer than BSLB??

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1969835]I totally agree, but as I said before scanning sucks on BSRB, and don’t you think that BSRB would have updated writing strategies since it is 2 years newer than BSLB??[/QUOTE]

No, I wouldn’t be surprised if the write strategies were the same. Going back to “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” . . . if BenQ write strategy developers developed a write strategy for a particular media and the strategy was providing excellent results I don’t think they’d be overly motivated to continually try and improve upon it - especially since there’s lots of write strategies they’d have to be working on. (and come on, lets face it - they’ve already made their money when we bought the drive so there’s not a lot of finanacial motivation for them to keep spending money on research and development for new firmwares)

Basically I think when a media manufacturer releases a new media they develop a write strategy for it and when they find one that works well they incorporate it into a firmware. I doubt they spend much time revisiting the strategies after that. I’ll bet future firmware releases just include strategies for newer media, and they may delete out strategies for older media that’s no longer necessary.

I imagine the new firmwares also address other operational issues for the drive, and contain tweaks to the code to address those issues and unfortunately those changes probably affect the drives performance so I would guess that’s why although the write strategy it’s self may remain the same the burn quality can vary between firmware releases.

Anyway, just my guess - I doubt they revisit the strategies much. I may be wrong though, they may very well track which medias are the most popular and concentrate their efforts on improving those strategies. It’d be interesting if a software guru could compare the write strategies in the various firmware releases and see if they do change them and whether some change more than others.

Personally, BSLB is working just fine in my drives with the media I use (TY +R inkjet printables from Rima.com). I don’t scan every disc, but I do scan occasionally, if I see a problem developing I’ll take action then. Till then, it aint broke so I’m not fixing it! :bigsmile:

TTYL,

Steve