1640 - Bad/Marginal Burns w/ TY?

I’d like to get some feedback on these scans. I’m new to the DVD scene and I’m trying to learn so please bear w/ me. Attached are the first three burns/scans on my 1640. Something tells me I should be getting better results. I’m most concerned with the scan which received a 59 QS and would like to get some input as to why I keep a getting sloping/spiking behavior near the end of the burn. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Media: Fuji DVD+R 8x (MIJ - TY)
Burn Speed: 8x
Firmware: BSLB (Except 1st burn - 93 QS was with BSHB)
Nothing besides firmware changed (Qsuite isn’t even installed)

Also, sorry about the crappy pic format. I forgot to use the built-in screen cap.

The burns seem fine except for the spikes at the end. Some might even say the burns are within the realm of normal given wide variations in hardware and disc quality. Would you happen to know if the edges had fingerprints or dust that might account for the spikes? It also could be misreading the edges. Maybe try a firmware upgrade to BSMB and rescan to see if there is a difference.

Download and install QSuite 2.0(use this with BSLB) and activate the Solid Burn. This allows the burner to learn “trouble” areas of the disk and seems to smooth things out with “not so good” media.

Give the above a try and repost results.

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I installed QSuite 2.0 and enabled SB. (I left WOPC at default - ON)

I may try with WOPC off for my next burn.

Burned @ 8x from same stack. :frowning: (Still getting the spike)

im having the same problem with my fuji’s, a lot have higher than normal error rates at the end of the disc when scanned on the 1640, most look ok on the 1620 though.

apart from a few with very high error rates at the end. will not be using them for anything important as i dont trust the edge of the discs on my remaining 8 tubs.

Hi :slight_smile:
gr33dy
When using Solid Burn, you’ll need two to three runs for the learning process to evolve. So don’t give up just yet.
The spike may well be found through the whole batch. This might be down to stockists storage, so that the media as a whole is good. Spikes like the one your encountering tend to look far more concerning than they need.
PIE/PIF counts are very good as is the QS.
BSLB may not be the best f/w for you & TY. So don’t be afraid of trying other f/w. Just remember to use Solid Burn the f/w needs to be BSKB or later (BSLB/BSMB/BEFB).

I get phenominal results on T02 when swapping the write strategy with T03 via Ala42’s MCSE tool, then burning at 12x. try it :smiley:

I must respectfully disagree. From what I’ve read about the features, SolidBurn is just a learning algorithm that the drive has to “learn” the best writing strategy to use on the media in general. The “best” strategy that it “learned” would then be used on the whole disc of all discs that match that “learned” media code. This is why you can turn it on or off independently for supported or unsupported media codes.

The BenQ feature that monitors areas of the disc it is burning at the time (regardless of media code) and adjusts for disc-to-disc variations in quality is WOPC. Many people seem to have confused what these features do and for some reason WOPC has gotten a bad reputation because of this. People seem to say, “Oh you’re not getting perfect burns? Turn off WOPC.”

To gr33dy, I was getting scans similar to yours when I was putzing around with the feature settings and turning WOPC off, but when I read BenQ’s description of the features, I turned WOPC back on and basically set everything to the default configuration (WOPC = ON, SB supported = OFF, SB unsupported = ON, OS = OFF). Lo and behold, my 1640 has started to consistently give me discs with QSs of 97s and 98s. (I’m happy with anything 96 or above)

But I should also mention that I have crossflashed to the external firmware (BEFB) despite running it internally. You might want to give that a shot.

Do NOT disable WOPC - it will only make bad media worse.

I get QS of 99/98 consistently with the Yuden T02 disc (Fuji Brand, MIJ from BestBuy) and my settings are SB=ON for supported discs, OS=OFF, WOPC=ON. I have tried both BSLB and BSMB, and the result is the same for me.

I had similar problems with TY DVD-R media (TYG01) and this is how I solved it. (See my other thread on TYG01 burns in the 1640). Here is what I suggest you try:

• Reflash with whatever firmware you are using - this will reset everything
  • Set SB=ON for supported discs, ensure OS=OFF and WOPC=ON
  • Make sure that the SB media table is emty - if not press CLEAN to empty it.
  • Before you burn any disc for the first time, perform a ‘FULL’ QScan at the maximum rated speed of the disc (this will take a while, but you need to do it only once for very media code and I think it is worth the time).
  • Once the Qscan completes successfully - meaning, it says that the media can be burnt at that speed, then burn the disc (I use Nero or Imgburn and get excellent results with both).

Note: BSMB and QSuite combo is known to crash your system, in that case switch to BSLB.

For the last few days, I enabled OS and am doing my burns at 12X and am still getting consistent QS of 98/99 - no need to start swap with T03.

I’ve used alot of these Fuji T02 discs, no problems. But I’ve heard of some of these Fuji discs having scuffs/scratches/glue/adhesive or occasional odd dye issues at the very edge of the discs.

Look closely at the bottom of the ‘bad’ discs at the edge, see any imperfections?

I’d just like to add to tony2442’s post.
It is true that WOPC monitors the quality of the whole disc.
“WOPC (Walking Optimal Power Control) is a technology that dynamically adjusts the laser power rate according to disc condition. BenQ DVDRW products, by default, have this function enabled to maximize quality.” (Just like tony2442 has stated.) However, if you are confident that your DVD media are of superb condition, you can disable this function to reduce reduce burning time (not to improve quality). Or you might need to disable WOPC on poor-quality DVD-R media under low-speed (<4X) burning to increase chances of successful burning. So there might be benefits for you in certain conditions.
tony2442’s bit in relation to Solid Burn does have an error in that on each insertion of a disc. A test undergoes to ascertain the best writing strategy algorithm, this is checked with learned memory for likewise, but even in the same batch there can be variations. So the learned memory may be updated.
Hence quite often a noticable difference initially over the first couple of burns & although things then appear to settle the process is ongoing. However tony2442 is right that this “optimal writing strategy” is set for the disc as a whole.
A combination of Solid Burn/WOPC should ideally result in not only quality, but consistancy too.

casperg
Just a few queries. When you say set SB for supported media,I take this to mean known media. I agree.
QScan is in my opinion not relevant to known media, I know a lot of people are having problems with this feature & even when it works, it can be just a little fierce. Leading to imply that media is bad for certain speeds when in fact it’s not. So don’t read too much into this. I’m not saying don’t do it, but it’s not essential. When you say QSuite crashes system do you mean that, or that QScan simply locks up.
Finally I’d like to bring to your attention that a problem can arise when using the current Solid Burn OverSpeed combination. To achieve optimum results Solid Burn with OverSpeed engaged means that often Solid Burn takes more sampling to achieve the required result. The end product is often slow disc recognition, even no disc recognition at all. This is rare & usually relates to poor media. I suggest that you use SB & enable OS only if writing times are exceptionally slow. Although the media you use shouldn’t be a problem.

Wow, thanks everyone for the feedback! :slight_smile:

Well, I may have found out what is causing these bad burns.

As “scoobiedoobie” suggested, I took a closer look at the discs. I brought a few from the stack into a lit area and examined the bottoms w/ a flash light. I noticed that each disc contained very small, speckled “dots” on the outer rim. These “dots” are mostly in one section of the disc; they’re not spread around the entire rim. These imperfections are very hard to see w/o proper lighting and a proper “tilt” on the disc.

Instead of wasting more discs, I tried scanning a few blanks with QScan. Out of 3 scans @ 8x, each received the warning, “The disc is not recommended for writing under this speed setting.” The QScan graphs are very similar to the results I was seeing and leads me to believe that my batch may just be junk. If this is the case, this is really unfortunate. My main concern is quality, not speed and it sounds as if quality media is really hard to find locally. :frowning:

Again, this is just what I believe is causing these bad burns. I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion.

Thanks again.

Just for kicks, here’s a QScan @ 4x. It indicated that I shouldn’t have a problem writing to the disc, but it certainly doesn’t look that great considering the speed.

That’s your problem, using WOPC, SB, etc. isn’t going to resolve the issue. I couldn’t recall specifically if they were scuffs or what, but that was the issue, specks. I haven’t noticed them on my discs but it is a fairly uncommon but known problem with some of the Fuji TY discs.

Again, I’ve not had them so I’m not sure if you can do anything about them - if they are on the surface, you may be able to wipe them off with something, just be careful what you use to remove them. Otherwise you’ll just have to settle with the results you are getting or don’t burn past about 4200MB, or return them or get them exchanged via warranty. I’ve used other discs with similar surface blemishes to these and they’ll give similar raised PIF levels, but they don’t seem to be a serious issue and they can still play back OK. I just tend to use them for less important burns.

If you have the blemishes throughout most of your discs, I’d return them or make a warranty claim. There are probably more specifics of these issues somewhere in the forums here.

gr33dy, Welcome to the world of poor/inconsistent media. Like most other people here,
I have done sooo many test burns, trying different settings, but there is so much variation between discs in a pack of even supposedly high quality media that it is nigh on impossible to come to any substantial conclusions. And I have certainly had experience of spikes through a run of discs in a spindle, only to find the spikes appearing in another place in a different spindle from the same batch.

I recently turned a bay cooling fan off that had become a little noisy, but essential for my previous Plextor PX712A during the warm weather, but I wondered whether the vibration right next to the Benq may have been having an influence. An instant improvement in the scans seemed to ensue, but I have had similar before and I really don’t know whether it is just a good run of blanks.

there was a bad batch of Fuji Taiyo Yuden DVDR’s (i think early - mid 2005)… im guessing you got one of those batches.

your middle scan looks ok, but the other 2 look un-taiyo yuden-like. that was exactly the problem with this batch of Fuji TY DVDR’s; the quality was variable.

I’m going to try and return these to Best Buy. Any suggestions as to what I should pick up as a replacement? I was thinking about getting some Verbatim’s or some MIJ Sony’s (even though I don’t think they’re TY anymore). I don’t want to buy any unbranded TY online because they don’t contain a matte finish like the branded stuff. “Avsgenie,” I know what you mean… I wish there was some consistency.

if you live in North America (im guessing you are since i dont think there is a BB elsewhere correct me if im wrong), Sony MIJ +R’s are Taiyo Yuden. -R’s are usually Sony’s own media, which is also good, but not as good as TY.

I can confirm that the MIJ Sony +R spindle I got at BB is TY02. They’re on sale through Sat.!