1640 and Linux problems

vbimport

I have a new BenQ 1640 that works great under Windows 2000 (reading and writing disks works fine), but has problems reading disks under linux using a 2.6 kernel. Is anyone sucessfully running this drive under linux?

I’m running it on an Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard and while you can boot an old version of Knoppix (kernel 2.4) it won’t boot later knoppix’s or a Suse 9.3 or Ubuntu 5.04 installer. Under Ubuntu 5.04, I get the following errors when I try and read longer files:

hdc: cdrom_read_intr: Bad transfer size 65534
This drive is not supported by this version of the driver
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 28360
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 7090
hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hdc: status error: error=0x00
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

Any ideas are welcome.

I have a Benq 1640 that is used in linux fine. All of my drives work fine in linux. I am running a 2.6 kernel Mandriva 2005 LE w/ kde 3.4.2 and lots of other updates. I dont know why the problems.I have an Nvidia chipset.I use k3b and nero without any problems at all. Maybe your motherboards ide chipset doesnt like the benq with the driver module linux is using?

Thanks for the reply.

What firmware version are you running? (I’ve got BSJB).

Try replacing the IDE cable. Check to make sure it’s connected securely. It may sound stupid, but disconnect and reconnect it to be sure.

I’m not the only person with this problem - see:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20607

(maybe I should get an NEC…)

I have ran BSJB,BSKB and now am running BSLB.

Just a naive question… How are you flashing the Benq device? Have you setup a dual boot machine? It is my impression that Benq is not particulary good at supporting linux.

FWIW I am have my share of problems getting cdrecord and k3b to burn a CD via a just-installed Benq 1640. K3B reports no media. xcdroast reports a similar problem. In each case I have loaded a fresh CD blank into the drive.

system: fedora core 4, latest updates

I have no problems using the 1640 under Debian sarge (kernel 2.6.8). However it seems I can’t keep the speed down, select 24x speed for CD-R and it goes up as high as 40x and keeps going up and down

I have a Benq 1640 and I can’t get the CD Audio to play. Soundcard is an Audigy; I know it’s not the card or the CD or the cable. Anyone have the same problem? I’m trying to use cdplay to play the CD.

Question: are your issues in a Linux distro? There are driver issues
and lack of many drivers and support from Creative for their sound cards. I have an Audigy 2 and no real support from Creative.:frowning:
My 1640 is fine in all my Linux distros.

Debian, with self-compiled vanilla kernel 2.6.12.

Creative point you to an obsolete page that says to use ALSA. The emu10k1 chipset is very well supported by ALSA and it is NOT the soundcard or the drivers or the CD or the cable. It is the drive. I’m just wondering if it’s a design “feature” or a fault with the drive itself.

Can you play CD audio using cdplay, Kscd, xmms (with the “Digital audio extraction” disabled) etc? If so I know it’s a faulty drive and I can return it.

Can you play CD audio using cdplay, Kscd, xmms (with the “Digital audio extraction” disabled) etc? If so I know it’s a faulty drive and I can return it.[/QUOTE]

I’m running Suse 10 with xmms I haven’t disabled
digital audio. I’m just beginning in Linux and I guess
I’ve been fortunate. I’m not comfortable enough to
try Gentoo or Slackware yet. I’ve stayed the more noobe
friendly versions like Ubuntu & Mepis.

In xmms, go to Options >> Preferences >> CD Audio Player (on Audio I/O Plugins) >> Configure. Is the play mode Analog or Digital Audio Extraction? If it’s Analog then I know it’s this drive and not all drives.

Analog,
I’m using the onboard audio connection on my BD7-II motherboard because I didn’t
want the hassle of the Creative card in Linux. I bought the Audigy2 card on ebay
and I had to go all over to find the software to support it. The updates, as I’m sure
you know, on the Creative web sight (Windows) are worthless without the original
software. I wrote Creative about buying a software disc and drivers for Unbuntu
and they sent me a form e-mail that was a total joke! I’m using Audigy 4 software
from a Russian site to run (quite well) on my Windows box.:smiley:

</pre>

xmms and ksCD both play audio CDs under mandrake 10.1/KDE 3.2 without issues. Analog is selected in xmms. 1640 BSLB is slave on secondary IDE.

Thank you

I told you, ALSA has good support for the emu10k1 chipset, which the SB Audigy series is based on. On my Debian system, all I need to do is run alsaconf (from the alsa-utils package) and follow the friendly menu. It detects my Audigy without issue. After that, run alsamixer (or some other mixer application) and change the volume settings to your liking. It couldn’t be simpler! You don’t need to get drivers from Creative. Linux natively support the card![/QUOTE]

I told you, ALSA has good support for the emu10k1 chipset, which the SB Audigy series is based on. On my Debian system, all I need to do is run alsaconf (from the alsa-utils package) and follow the friendly menu. It detects my Audigy without issue. After that, run alsamixer (or some other mixer application) and change the volume settings to your liking. It couldn’t be simpler! You don’t need to get drivers from Creative. Linux natively support the card![/QUOTE]

Many,many thanks :clap:
this will save me lots of grief. Now if I could find an
app that runs as well as DVD Shrink in Linux I’d be set

Glad I could help :slight_smile: Unfortunately there’s no direct equivalent of DVD Shrink for Linux. I’ve heard claims that it works under Wine though :stuck_out_tongue:

Update on my problem: I returned the drive to the store I got it from and got another one. (The other drive scratched my mum’s Beethoven piano CD in-store so she’s not happy, but she’s getting one with a DVD attached.) Anxiously, I installed it and got no CD audio.

I just received my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and installed it. Again, I tried the CD audio to make sure it wasn’t the card and again it played no sound. So I tried it with the S/PDIF CD cable they supplied, and sure enough I got my CD playing! Now listening to track 9 of “From Here On In” by The Living End :slight_smile:

So I’m guessing there’s a jumper on the drive for Analog or S/PDIF output and it may or may not output both at once.

Hi,
i’m currently thinking about getting a 1640 in exchange for my Plex 716A. The problem I have with the Plextor with Linux is that I can’t set the DVD writing speed correctly. If I set it to 12x it writes at 16x nevertheless and so on.
I’m using Ubuntu Breezy (k3b 0.12.2 installed) and have no luck with the Plextor. Can anyone confirm that the 1640 works correctly (burning to DVD±R/±RW) with the selected speed with k3b? And is it possible to erase DVD±RWs with this drive?

Thx in advance for your answers.

/blade_ctn

You shouldn’t have any problem erasing DVD±RWs with any DVD±RW drive. I’d suggest you take a look at the 1640 review; it might have some of the information you want.