1633s unable to read dvd-r disc after burning

vbimport

Hello, iam new at dvd burning lingo so here it goes. I am having trouble burning dvd-r discs, they burn ok, but i can not read them back from the 1633s drive. i also have a Pioneer dvd rom in the same computer and it will play them with no problems. I bought some dvd+rw and they seem to burn and play back from the same drive ok.
the dvd-r disc i am using are made by Memorex and i think they are produce by phillips.
the dvd+rw discs are made by HP

my 1633s firmware is "BS0R"
aspi ver is 4.60
Nero ultra

before i updated nero and the firmware on the 1633s, ii kept getting writing leadout errors , i have also made sure the aspi driver was working ok in nero.
any help would be greatly appreciated

CPU AMD +1700
MEM 512
Vid GeForce 4
Curtis

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:

It’s hard to say but it’s most likely a media problem. Odd that they read ok in the DVD-ROM drive. Use DVD Identifier to find out the media code and report back. What speed did you burn at and can you set a lower burn speed on this media? When you say they won’t read in the 1633S, does it detect that the disc is inserted?

thanks for the reply…i downloaded the “DVD indentifier” and it would not read a disc that had a movie i burned and witch plays ok in all my dvd players at home.
It tried a blank disc of the same kind and this is what it gave me…

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF01]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

and yes after burning to these discs my 1633s does detect any disc in its tray. If i remember correctly i think these discs have been burning around 8x.
I just tried burning at 4x , everything burns ok, just cant read it back on my dvd burner, but comes up fine in my Pioneer dvd rom drive. when i tried to read it using “DVD identifier” it says unable to initialize disk…

well…i decided to take back the 1633s that i got for Christmas because of this problem, i really hate it when things dont go right!..
Bought a “Sony DRU-710A”…being a dummy i did not know at the time i was buying exactly the same dvd burner but with a different name on it ha ha ha on me…I am still having the same problem of not being able to read a DVD-R disk after burning unless i use my Pioneer dvd rom in the same computer. Works great on dvd+r discs…i can burn and read from the same drive!!! Guess i will just leave it the way it is …i have read other posts with people having the same problem and nobody has figured it out yet…maybe some day