Thanks for the head’s up. I had actually visited your page and downloaded the older firmware already before I saw your post.
I noticed that at some point Windows had dropped the drive into PIO mode, so the first thing I did was to uninstall/reinstall the Secondary IDE, which brought it back up to Ultra DMA Mode 4.
I then reflashed back to BS0C. No luck. Then I tried seting the drive up as a Slave, still no luck.
Installed Kprobe and it installed ASPI, but that made no difference, not that I thought it would…
Lite-On’s technical support said that if flashing the firmware didn’t work, there was no other solution. The rep was reluctant to issue an RMA and was fairly insistent that I return the drive through the distributor…
So, it’s going back today. I’m a little concerned, as this is one of two SOHW-1366S drives that I purchased together, and the other one is intended as a gift. I’m hoping this problem isn’t related to a batch or lot, because then it may turn out to be bad as well.
Also, in thinking about it, I’m certain the drive was working recently, for both CDs and DVDs. It is possible that it stopped working after I upgraded the firmware.
I am attaching the extremely long Nero InfoTool report to this post. Offhand I notice that the read speed seems to be wrong.
The only other thing that may look a little odd is that it reads the location as 3:1, which is because my system shows as having two Primary IDEs and two Secondary IDEs. I believe this is because both the SATA and PATA interfaces are enabled. I doubt that it would have anything to do with it, considering that it was working previously.
Thanks for your help.