1620pro second thoughts

vbimport

considering all the great and brilliant reviews for this drive i feel a bit disaapointed.
Numerous ppl say its good with any media thrown at it, however i find it cant even deal with basic normal discs.
Been burning coasters on my massive stash of daxon az1, imation cd-rs and not too mention all my cd-rws not one worked…
All cd-rs and rws have worked in my asus burner in theory should work well with dvd burner; well that doesnt matter cause ill use cdrs and rws with my asus…however what about my dvd media :frowning:

Having tried a number of different brands ( verbatim, Sony, TDK, Ritek) I now only buy FUJI +R 8X - made in Japan i.e Tayo Yuden YUDEN000 T02.

If one of these produces a coaster with a BenQ then I would look for a system problem.

true…true…
the thing is i bulk brought my disks bout ~200 of em in taiwan
and since im a student away from home…cash is scarce
hopefully, benq can come up wiht a logical and easy fix for my problem

Are you on the latest firmware B7U9?

Try burning cheaper media at slower speeds (ie do not overspeed) and see if you get better results. Only with non brand marked media do I have issues with this drive (as with any drive). Also, make sure you have the latest firmware. Try some Taiyo Yuden T02s and if you do not get a good burn then you should look at returning it for another drive as it may be defective. To identify the true manufacter of you dvds use dvdidentifier.

im using the b7s9 firmware…im gonna wait for benqs reply and see…if i have to ill update my firmware to the t9…cause benq uses daxon discs in their oem disc …so in theory it should work
nah i burn at the lowest speed…2.4x

You burn at 2.4x, but you are not afraid of disc readability after some years even on crappy media! The slower you burn, the longer it lasts! :slight_smile: I also burn at 2.4x though i have possibility to burn at 16x… it’s just the way it is, just my opinion, when i start burning, i leave my pc and go watching tv, when i come, i see a shiny disc and i know it will last very long and i’m not afraid of data loss inside the disc

A good burn is a good burn. There is nothing to suggest that a disc burned @ 2.4 has any more “life span” than a disc burned @ 16X. The resulting quaility scan is the variable…

Regards-

Actually BenQ’s own DAXON discs aren’t very good…

Next time please say that is your own opinion since I can’t find any literature to prove your comment, and I am confident what you said was FALSE. In fact, there is no writing strategies in the firmware that supports 2.4x write for DVD+R.

You can select the speed whatever you want, but please don’t mis-educate the people here.

You burn at 2.4x, but you are not afraid of disc readability after some years even on crappy media! The slower you burn, the longer it lasts! I also burn at 2.4x though i have possibility to burn at 16x… it’s just the way it is, just my opinion, when i start burning, i leave my pc and go watching tv, when i come, i see a shiny disc and i know it will last very long and i’m not afraid of data loss inside the disc

First of all I :iagree: :iagree: with zevia about mis-educating people on this forum site. :rolleyes: Slow burning a disc has nothing to do with the longevity of a dvd disc. Using cheapo brands of dvd media like PRINCO will surely shorten the life span of the disc. :rolleyes:

Try to burn princo @ 4x, and another princo @ 16x, then compare the quality after some time, when there are scratches on the disc and so on… I don’t mis-educate forum guests, but as zevia is teaching me… IT IS ONLY MY OPINION!

Well Zevia, again, i think you have misread “it’s just the way it is, just my opinion”

//zilvinas

I hope you to take this seriously. If you open the 1620’s firmwares you’ll realize that “2.4x strategy for each media” doesn’t even exist. I think someone tried to mention this in a few replies earlier.

That means every media is treated equal, so… when burning some +R media at 2.4x, 1620 will “play it by the ear”. It’s probably because 2.4x burn is so easy, but it also means that the drive makers don’t consider 2.4x burn as a serious option. (Please correct me if someone knows I’m wrong.)

That’s my understanding too. It confuses me why someone would underspeed a disk using “generic” 2.4x write strategies when the BenQ firmware has optimized a write strategy specifically for that MID at a higher speed.
I haven’t tested it yet, but it seems that you would get a better result using the specifc optimized write strategy in the firmware.
Am I crazy???

Hi guys thanks for your assistance …
Hey spitfire…all my discs are 2.4X so i assume thats what drive burns at 2.4X
however i realized everytime i put a disc that has a burn range, the drive always picks the higest speed…(i.e. i have CMC CD-rs (imaition) max 40X…) i can not reduce it …i pick 16X but it always speeds up
What’s more i burnt disc that no drive can read…and im sure these arent crap cause my asus 1610 does em easily.
CAlled benq australia…tedious customer support…have to mail my drive…even though my drive is only a week old…just thought they should have a distributor in each seperate state.
Feel i wann dump this drive…too much hassle

Thanks guys

You probably will not get good results with 2.4x disks with this drive. I would suggest looking for a BENQ DW822 (8x burner) for those disks it has 2.4x strategies. As said above any 2.4x burn is going to be mediocre at best due to the drive not having write strategies at that speed.

agree with all…no study to prove that a disc @2.4x or one@16x will last longer…all depends on storage condition…and enviroment…and also the disc initial quality

Please understand, I am aware that many of you here will disagree with me and that is fine. Just take a minute; this information might be worth considering.

About 9 months ago I read an article posted on a DVD tech specifications web site of some sort. They were writing about the lack of standards dealing with DVD life span and mentioned that there was a study currently underway to provide some sort of rating for different media to provide a life span index for consumers. They stated that this would probably take 2 years to establish. The comment I remember clearly from one of the lead technicians was that it was clearly established that DVD media burned at slower speeds had a longer lifespan. He didn’t say how much longer but he was very clear.

This is not an argument like the -R / +R debate that rages without end.

To me, based on what I read, slower burns will last longer. I still burn at 8X rather than 4X when the media calls for it, but I don’t want to risk lifespan just to save 2-3 minutes by pushing media past its rating.

Feel free to disagree. To me, the source was reliable. He had no bias, he was stating a fact.

I just bought this one(1620) and I am impressed again after my new 4163B.
It overspeeds many media (with Intenso 8X+R gives me times close to 6:10!!!)and using Qsuite and disabling WOPC, the speed really goes crazy.
I bought it just for 66 Euros and I had to choose between this and 3520.
I don’t know why but I did this one and I am happy with this decision.
As for lifespan I tend to agree with “eleewhm”.
It’s rather the quality of the media but I have seen cheap DVD’s or CD’s long enough and holding data safe…
To me +R are better if you have bitsetting.
Also something I noticed is that InCD tab at drive’s properties the written DVD’s are recognized as DVD+R.In CD/DVD speed it says that it is +R(changed to DVD-ROM).My LG show them both as DVD-ROM.