1620A + DVD-R + Panasonic set-top

I’m having a bit of an issue with the above combo… Basically, I am doing a VHS-to-DVD project for a friend. When I started out I was using a Liteon 411S@811S, and I burned 2 DVDs, 1 using Nero and 1 using Pinnacle Studio. They were on Maxell DVD-R (RG04, I believe) and KHypermedia DVD-R (CMC). Both played fine in his Panasonic set-top.

Later I switched to an NEC 2500@2510, burned another Maxell DVD-R from the same batch with Studio. This also worked fine in his player.

Since then I have switched to the DW1620. The latest burn I did for him was on a Ritek DVD+R bitset to DVD-R with B7P9. It won’t play in his player.

Now, my understanding is that bitsetting should make a DVD+R look like a DVD-R to the player, right? I’ve verified that the burned disc shows up as a DVD-R in Nero, so I’m confident that the bitsetting worked.

So my question is: does the 1620 somehow burn differently than the LiteOn and NEC, causing the Panasonic to not recognize the disc? Has anyone else experienced this type of thing?

Bitsetting is to make DVD+R to DVD-ROM.
What is the Panasonic model number? You might want to check http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers if the Panny can play DVD+R. Bitset to DVD-ROM should do the work but some players just can’t accept them.

I’ve asked him what model, but he says the model number is not on the front of the player… :confused:

He’s looking for the owner’s manual… in the meantime, I will try another KHyper -R to see if it can play that.

The model SHOULD be on the front if it was made in the last 3 years, on the bottom or back for sure.
s-35 maybe?

Zevia explained this to you very well in his post. Bitsetting a DVD+R disc can only make it a DVD-ROM; never a DVD-R disc.

You say that you verified it in Nero and that it reported it as a DVD-R? Are you positive? If that’s the case, can you please upload a screenshot of Nero where it shows such. I would love to see that.

Of course I’m not positive. Obviously it’s not possible, if you’re posting such a smug response.

For the rest of you, it’s a DVD-CV52, which according to the VideoHelp database can play both -R and +R (although there seems to be some trouble with +R, but not with everyone).

I didn’t mean to come off as smug. The reason I asked you for a screenshot is that I have heard of a software coder that claims to be able to bitset DVD+R discs to DVD-R. I don’t think it’s possible; at least not within the specs. But, I remember seeing a post somewhere (I think it was on a different forum) that showed that it could be done. But, the coder was not within the proper bitsetting specs and was “going around them” in order to achieve such. Anyhow, I was just curious if that’s why Nero supposedly showed DVD-R when you verified your bitset disc. You took my post the wrong way. :slight_smile:

Off topic:

socrates007 > I have a NEC 3500 and use Binflash to flash and change booktype ect… Anyway if you hit the dropdown to change a +R disk or the dropdown to change a +RW disk there is listed -R to set. I’ve never used it and don’t know if it works but it there lol

Oh, ok…

Anyway, I put it in either one of Nero’s tools (I always get them confused) or else DVD Identifier and it showed a -. Now, I didn’t look closely enough to remember if it showed -R or -ROM, but I’ll try it again when I get home.

I mainly wanted to see if the bitsetting was successful, so that’s why I wasn’t paying that close of attention.

Sorry about the confusion above there…

No prob. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

OK, I don’t know what I thought I saw… but DVD Identifier clearly shows a DVD+R with booktype set to DVD-ROM.

Anyway, I noticed that someone else had a problem with the same Ritek media I was using with that model Panasonic (R03) so I’m going to try another DVD-R.