1620 vs 1625

Hi Guys,

I’ve been a very happy BenQ 1620 owner for quite a while now. Recently while visiting the local computer store I noticed they had an open box 1625, they said they will gurantee it to work (and I believe it, they have a very good reputation in town).

There’s nothing wrong with my 1620 but while I wasn’t looking the ole BenQs became unobtanium so I’m thinking I may want to pick this one up as a backup.

From what I gather the 1625 is just the 1620 with additional hardware for light scribe? Is the 1625 firmware OK, or is it better to flash the drive to 1620 firmware, and if you do that will it work just as well as a 1620?

Thanks for the input guys - I’ve learned a lot in a short time just scanning this forum! :bow:

Question really is do Ben Q make a bad drive…Nope. Welcome to the forum.

From what I gather that was true in the pre-LiteOn days but since LiteOn has came into the picture the quality has dropped which is making the older drives more desireable.

I’ve just love my 1620 so I’m really curious as to if the 1625 is just a 1620 with light scribe hardware added or if it’s a different animal. If it is a different animal then I’m curious as to how it compares to the 1620/1640/1650/1655. If compares well I’ll pick it up, if one of the others is better then I’ll keep an eye out for one of them (if one is better than the other please lemme know - from what I’ve gathered the 1620 was good but the 1640 added solidburn and through firmware development and stuff it became [B]THE[/B] drive of the series? (though the 1620 has a slight edge in that it can overspeed more media?) The 1655 is basically the 1650 with light scribe hardware added? The burn quality of the 1655 is comparable to the 1650? But the 1640 appears to have been maybe [I]slightly[/I] better than the 1650/55 and just a [I]tad[/I] better than the 1620?).

I’m sorry if this has all been covered before, but I’ve put my best effort forth to read the [I]whole[/I] ( :eek: ) forum and I think I’ve got the jist of it all, but I’d like a little confirmation before I buy the 1625 or go drive hunting.

[B]GREAT[/B] forum, happy holidays to all!

[QUOTE=SLR_65;1949143]From what I gather that was true in the pre-LiteOn days but since LiteOn has came into the picture the quality has dropped which is making the older drives more desireable.[/QUOTE]
Quality had dropped before Lite-On bought them, their last couple drives weren’t true BenQs. It sounds like the 1650 might not have been as durable as previous drives either. The new Lite-On drives aren’t bad burners but they don’t have all the scanning features that true BenQ drives had.

From what I gather that was true in the pre-LiteOn days but since LiteOn has came into the picture the quality has dropped which is making the older drives more desireable.
:iagree:

I’ve just love my 1620 so I’m really curious as to if the 1625 is just a 1620 with light scribe hardware added or if it’s a different animal…
Just a 1620 with lightscribe hardware added. :wink:

DW165* are still Nexperia based and some of the best burners BenQ’s ever made. Durable? For sure as durable as the DW1620/1640 series.
DW1650 are the best BenQ 16x burners.

[QUOTE=pinto2;1949408]
DW165* are still Nexperia based and some of the best burners BenQ’s ever made. Durable? For sure as durable as the DW1620/1640 series.
DW1650 are the best BenQ 16x burners.[/QUOTE]
I said might, it just sounded like quite a few people had their drives die around the year mark. Then again comments on threads are a major minority of users.

I’ve seen far better burns with my 1650 then my 1640, not sure if mine outdoes my 1620s on burn quality though.

I picked up the 1625 - THANKS for the help guys! :bow: