1620 VERY slow dvd+r burning

vbimport

Hey everyone, i got a 1620 about a month ago, Burned about 20 dvd-r discs without a problem (they were Datalife, some cheap brand). Now i found a good deal on Optispeed media (dvd+r). I purchased 50 spindle, nero and dvd info tools both say its 2-16x capable(although the media is 8x). 16x gives way too many errors, so i tried 8x and 4x and they work fine, but the problem is it takes a long time to burn, the time remaining counter on nero goes down to zero(whether im burning at 2.4/4/8x) and it still takes about 4-10 minutes after that to finish the burn, this never happend with the dvd-r media i used, anyone have any idea whats wrong? Much appricated:)

Dana

Good question… hope you get yours answers… that’s kind of like what happens with the DVD-R’s for me… the counter starts at like 5 minutes… counts down and still burns for another 25 minutes or longer.

Keep an eye on the other post of mine. Kind of the same issues.

Maybe it’s the wopc 2, (Walking Optimum Power Control technology), witch constantly adjusts the writing quality. I could be that the Benq doesn’t like the media quality??
If other media burnes with good speed I think it’s the media that causes the speed drops.

You could try some other program to make a backup of your dvd, or create a ISO file which is also possible with dvdshrink. I’ve had simmelar problems, but not always.
I noticed that burning a ISO file didn’t gave me speed drops or empty memory buffer

That’s why I alway’s make a ISO file now. Maybe it’s strange, but that’s my 2 ct’s.
Just give it a try, hope it helps.

Thanks i’ll give that a try tomorow and report back :slight_smile:

I have the same issue with my 1620. I have some Benq 8x DVD+Rs and it will take nero about 8 minutes to burn a full dvd at 8x but if I change it to 16x it will take anywhere up to 19 minutes to do a full dvd burn. I just sent BENQ an email. I hope I get a reply back from them. :confused:

@GonePostal: 8 minutes for an 8x burn is pretty good. Sounds like the WOPC is kicking in at 16x on that media. I’d suggest trying one at 12x and see what you get although if they are working fine at 8x I wouldn’t complain to much.

Could you post Nero CD/DVD Speed Disc Quality results on that media and see what you get with one of the 8x and 16x burns? I’d be very curious myself. :slight_smile:

Adding to my post - I was looking at potentially ordering 100 of the BenQ 8x DVD+R’s from Meritline of the Shiney Silver variety (I’ve come to not trust white inkjet printables after reading the forums here) and was curious to see what they burn like - the other reason for my asking for a scan of this media. :wink:

I have a similar issue . . .

My burner burns fine at 8x, but gets significantly slower at speeds higher than 8x.

I posted a note and Pinto2 told me to check my system settings - the hard drive should be at DMA4 and the burner at at least DMA2 if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I have an eMachines and I can’t change my DMA setting in the bios.
I took the drive to a friends and tried it on his and it flies right along at speeds above 8x, so I’m sure it’s motherboard issue.

8x is fast enough for now - while I’m researching new motherboards!

-Bob-

just bought the drive, and i’m stuck at 4x, wheter i use 8x, 12x or 16x, tried fw p9,s9 and t9 they’re all the same,

the drive just don’t like burning above 4x, i tried this so far MCC003 and POMSI002

@swabe - sounds like you don’t have DMA enabled properly. Check in Device Manager to make sure you are running in Ultra DMA Mode 2. It should not be Multi-word DMA 2 as that is a PIO mode and you’re not getting full bandwidth.

here’s a guide on enabling DMA MODE in XP:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

using WINDOWS 2000:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9668

if having problems ENABLING DMA MODE IN XP:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW :slight_smile:
PIONEER 107D DVDRW :slight_smile:
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2) :slight_smile:
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

it is set in ultra mode 2, all my burns just drop to 4x, whetere i set it at 16x, 12x or 8x =( help!

how is your system set up? the benQ should be the master on the secondary IDE channel. you dont have it as secondary on your primary IDE with the hard drive do you?

Using CD-Speed, insert a burned dvd and then press F6 the Burst Rate test and then post the number. We don’t need the screenshot.

Using DVD Identifier, it will show the rated media speed and then press ‘Drive Capabilities’ and it will show the write speeds available. And post that info as well. This will give a better idea as to what may be going on.

my burst rate was 23MB/s

Mine IDE setup is:

Primary IDE
Master - Western Digital 160gig - Ultra DMA Mode 5
Slave - Maxtor 120gig - Ultra DMA Mode 6

Secondary IDE
Master - Benq 1620 Ultra DMA Mode 2
Slave - LG 16X DVD Drive - Ultra DMA Mode 2

Quick Specs:
2500+ XP Barton
1 gig RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
ATI Radeon 9800

EDIT: guess I should have added my MOBO: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

not sure if this will help any or not but…

how is the speed on ripping DVD rom disc’s? almost all DVD Rom drives and DVD burners are slower at ripping DVD+R and DVD- disc’s. also are you using the default Microsoft IDE drivers or do you have the Nvidia drivers installed?

First thing you need to do is update your firmware, B7K9 is rather old.

http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

The other messages you left show you have the IDE setup correctly. Try a newer version of the firmware and see if the problem persists.

And rather than burn another movie try using CD-Speed and use Create Data Disk and then run the Quality Test and post the results.

my id setup is…

Primary IDE
WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0

Primary IDE
Benq 1620

I have two primary ide since I’m using a SATA drive,

my specs are
shuttle SB83G5 (intel 915g)
512 Twinmos DDR-RAM
160 gig Western Digital SATA (Caviar)

i just did a full re-install, ill post my cd-speed after I install nero

my burst rate was 23 MB / second too :slight_smile: