1620 Riplocked?

I was thinking of swaping my Lite-On for a 1620, but is it still the case that these drives are riplocked? What kind of rip speeds are we talking about if this is still the case?

My latest rip of a pressed DVD reached 12Mbytes per second. The source movie was only 4Gbytes, so it didn’t need shrinking.

That’s in the region of 8x, OEM 1620 with G7P9 firmware.

8x for burned DVD discs and 16x for pressed DVDs.

Mine almost always goes 8x for burned DVDs, 8x for dual layer pressed DVDs, and 16x for single layer pressed DVDs. It’s not a bad speed and it can read from horribly scratched, warped, rotted discs. Yeah, I just got a perfect rip from a “blotchy” dvd original.
Previously, I felt pampered by the 16x rip speed of my Sony drive, but it couldn’t read every file from every disc. Now, I’m pampered by a BenQ that can read every disc.

I am planning to add a http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=107490 to my system at some point in the future because you can have a much more “automatic” experience by having two drives, and the addition is very inexpensive if your computer case has room for two drives. These will also work in a prolific-powered external enclosure if the computer is too small for two drives (like my tiny computer). So, now I have this tiny, modern-looking computer with a collection of wires and hang-ons that is larger than the computer. Oops! Anyway, when in doubt, use two drives.

…and talking about reading scratched and horrible looking surface, I tried it with an old movie from the video club… I could NEVER read it with my home DVD… but the 1620 ripped it at 8x (dual layer) without a glitch… This is really a good ripper…

I’m used to clean the DVD from the video club before watching them on my home DVD, but this is useless with the 1620!

I use pledge/favor from SC Johnson–a furniture polish intended for polyurethane that works just as well on acrylic.
Using a very light pressure on the dodgy, tricky, irrascable nozzle, it is possible to dispense the optical grade wax without covering arms, legs, spectacles, desk, clothing, curious pets, etc. . . with wax.
This procedure is then followed by rubbing the disc with clean fingertips (wax turns clear) and then a light buffing with a clean t-shirt. The now very-clean disc is covered in optical-grade wax with the bonus of becoming germ free and having a really wonderful lemon scent. :wink:

This is a great way to clean a disc without introducing additional scratches, because it is very difficult to scratch a disc that has wax on it.