1620 Noobie Questions

vbimport

After reading so many great posts on the BenQ 1620, I too made the purchase. I have installed my OEM BenQ 1620. Acording to Nero and WinXP device manager, the drive is listed as:
ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16
1st question: Shouldn’t this be defined as a BenQ vs this generic naming?

Next, the firmware is G7L9. I have read the great sticky thread on the firmware update and if I understand correctly, I can (and should) upgrade to the retail version and go to at least B7P9.

2nd question: Is the process as simple as running WinDWflash.exe and having the B7P9.zip firmware file?

3rd question: Do I need the .cvt and RPC-1 files?

4th question (may not be releated to the 1620?): Nero InfoTool has an ASPI tab. Looking at the selection for System ASPI, Nero tells me “ASPI not installed”. Chanding the selection to Nero ASPI the message changes to “ASPI is installed and working properly”. Do I need to install ASPI or will the Nero version handle everything ASPI related for me?

These noobie questions have no doubt been asked before but my searching has not yieled the basic answers I need.

• that’s because you have the OEM

Next, the firmware is G7L9. I have read the great sticky thread on the firmware update and if I understand correctly, I can (and should) upgrade to the retail version and go to at least B7P9.

2nd question: Is the process as simple as running WinDWflash.exe and having the B7P9.zip firmware file?

• you need to extract the *.cvt from the *.zip: safest to flash in safe mode

3rd question: Do I need the .cvt and RPC-1 files?

• there are RPC1 versions of most/all firmwares; personally advise trying out a couple of the newer firmwares with your media, the, if you want region-free operation, use the RPC1 version of that formware.

4th question (may not be releated to the 1620?): Nero InfoTool has an ASPI tab. Looking at the selection for System ASPI, Nero tells me “ASPI not installed”. Chanding the selection to Nero ASPI the message changes to “ASPI is installed and working properly”. Do I need to install ASPI or will the Nero version handle everything ASPI related for me?

• Nero ASPI is fine if you only use Nero, else: if you want system ASPI go to www.radified.com & d/l forceASPI version 1.7

Thank you Shoarthing!

Now just need a little more clarity - being new to this DVD and firmware thing has me a bit paranoid…

On this page http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BenQ_FW.htm
they have B7P9 as a zip file. Extracting that yields an exe not a *.cvt.
They also have the B7P9.cvt.rar.

Which do I grab and how do I use them?

What role does winddwflash.exe play in this? Do I even need that?

Guess I am in need of handholding through this process for the first time.

Your drive is a oem drive, so you have to use the firmware thats starts with the letter G, a bit lower on the page you mentioned, you’'ll find firmware G7P9. This is the latest firmware for the oem drive.

If you don’t want to void warranty of your drive, you’ll have to stick with firmware G7P9. It’s a very good firmware and some people prefer G7P9/B7P9 over the B7T9., I think it’s a matter of personal experiences with dfferent media.

If you want to convert your oem drive to a retail drive so you can use the firmware that starts with the letter B, than you have to crossflash your drive by using firmware as a *.cvt file. When you stick with the G firmware, their’s no need to use the WinDWFlash tool.

[QUOTE=]
Guess I am in need of handholding through this process for the first time.[/QUOTE]
Better ask some things first than to do stupid things you will regret later.

My advise to you would be, use firmware G7P9. Burn some disks first. Post a few scans. Ensure yourself that your drive is working fine.
Firmware G7P9 is a good firmware, don’t go flashing when their’s no need to (right now).

Do some reading here on the forum. Take a look at some older threads, you’ll learn a lot by reading them. Later…when you decided you want to flash your drive with the retail firmware, you’ll probably don’t need our help anymore. :slight_smile:

As far as I know, the OEM drive does not have serial numbers. Thus if you have problems and call BenQ, I’m sure that BenQ will replace it without questioning about the firmware. Or BenQ will ask you to call the OEM provider.

I would suggest to flash with the retail firmware (B7P9 or B7T9) and not to worry regarding the warranty. Grab the .cvt and windwflash.exe and flash in windows safe mode. After the flash and reboot, windows device manager will recognize it as “BenQ DVD DD DW1620”. Good luck.

It’s true. I have been on here reading for about 4 days straight. I have learned alot, but still have alot to learn. You just have to take the time to read. I would rather read for days, than just ask a few questions and do it wrong.

I am with you Phxdatman, I have been reading here as well. I just purchased a Benq 1620 retail. How do you like yours so far? I won’t have mine for a week or so. :frowning:

Hi there,

I’m in a similar position to Phxdatman, read a lot of good vibes here re the benq dw1620 so bought one a few days ago. Had the same probs with it being displayed as an atapi drive and not recognised by the tools d/loaded from the BenQ web site, (booktype management and QScan), says drive not supported. So I updated the f/w to B7T9 and now the drive is reported as a BenQ.

I thought this would make it possible to use the tools mentioned, but I still get the same error messages, so obviously not, unless there is something else that I should do? If not the latest Nero has the same tools so I suppose they will be ok to use, as I see some have posted grabs after doing so.

I did make a test data disk using Nero and a Imation DVD-R 8x so I’ll post the details and see what folks think of it. that way I hope to understand a lot more about the whole process.

Congrats on a great site with loads of very interesting info, trouble is I’m going cross-eyed reading it all. And then there’s the other problem, remembering it all :rolleyes: :o

Team,

I too am a Noobie with this Drive but for a whole different (or strange) set of reasons. I own a Plextor PX-708A (which has been great :smiley: ) and have been participating in posts for their struggling PX-716 with an eye to buying one. Of course in doing so I’ve also had to review many others and found the 1620 gaining lots of Fans :iagree:.

A friend of mine (from Brazil - I’m from Canada) wanted to get an inexpensive unit while both of us were in Florida last week (on business) to take home with him. Unfortunately with the lack of time, and not knowing the local Orlando retailers, he couldn’t find any the 3 units I suggested. So it fell to me to grab one for him and ship it from Canada. I got the OEM version of the 1620, installed it last night into one of my Boxes, and have been testing it with various disks, tasks, etc. to “prove it” before sending it sometime this week.

I’ve heard there seems to have been some issue with the 1620s and RW type media. Is it only CDRW or is DVD+RW nd DVD-RW at issue? (So far for testing I’m using DVD+RW.) I’ve burned a movie back up on Memorex (RICOHJPNW11) and it plays back fine on my Set top box. (I’m scanning it now.) Do you know if the newer firmware adressed these issues? I cannot seem to find any list of explanations for the various firmware revisions (both G and B :eek: ). Can someone point me to a link or ?

I’m refraining from changing the firmware to retail as not to void the warranty (which of course will be mute once I send it to him :sad: ). However, I’m struggling with the rational to migrate to this anyway. Are there any substantial benefits in doing so ? Please advise :confused: Thanks for the assist :wink:

The benefit of a retail drive is, when a new firmware comes out, it’s released for retail drives.
There is nothing special in converting a oem drive to retail. First make sure your drive works perfect with its current firmware. If so, you can download WinDWFlash here. Then download (I prefer) B7P9.
After this flash the drive is a retail version (make sure there is no media in the drive before flashing it).

Latest firmware for the retail drive is B7T9. This is the exe file and there’s no need for the WinDWFlash tool with this latest firmware.

Latest info about the B7T9 firmware:
Release Notes:

1. Support Ricoh DVD+R DL [RICOHJPN D00] media.
  2. Modify the writing strategy for both DVD+R & DVD-R media.
  3. Support CCCD media playback

You can read the review of the Benq 1620 here

Jim, you bought the best compatible RW media for the Benq, you were lucky I guess :bigsmile:

cor808,

Thanks for the input. I probably will move to the Retail firmware as it’s less confusing for my friend who is not quite as up on all this as I am. So far it seems once a drive is Flashed to the Retail Firmware you can simply use the newest version as if you had the Retail Burner from the beginning with no special loader.

My tests so far have been positive (It burns Ultra Speed CD-RW @ 24X, CDRs and the DVD+RWs.) The Nero Speed Disk Quality Test for the Memorex (RICOHJPNW11) is sad :sad: . It 's quite good until 4 Gig and then goes into the toilet :Z . It ends up with a Quality Score of 41 but still plays great in my Set Top Box as well as the 3 optical Drives in this Box :confused: . (I’d up it to this site but can’t seem to figure how to get that done. Any ideas?)

Next I’m going to go to G7P9 firmware from G7M9 and see if that improves the +RW Quality. :iagree:

That’s proof for what I’ve been saying about error scanning in general. The real test is playing the disc back on the home DVD player that you will use. If the disc plays back fine, then the burn was “good enough” to make a working copy. That’s my final goal and I don’t put a ton of stock in the error scanning results. It’s nice to see a pretty graph, but that’s not the final test. The real test is if the disc plays back without errors on your home DVD player.

Some will criticize me and say that a bad scan means the disc may degrade over time and become unplayable. So can a disc that gives a good error scan. A disc can be stored improperly, get scratched, get lost, etc. So what? Make two copies of anything that important. Besides, never use re-writable media for anything that’s very important and you want to see around for years to come.

Try burning the same content (i.e.- movie or whatever you burned to the DVD-RW) to a DVD+R or DVD-R; especially brands that have been shown in posts to be good with the DW1620. Then re-scan the disc and see how it goes. The bottom line for me is producing discs that work properly in my home DVD player. In your case, it was re-writable media that’s not supposed to be permanent anyhow. You viewed the content without errors. Now erase the disc and do the same again. That’s the nature of re-writable discs and what they’re made for. :slight_smile:

I wish I had my 1620. I still have to wait a week for it to ship. :frowning:

When you get your drive, please post some scans and let us know how you like it. :slight_smile:

I will! Do you recommend a certain firmware version? I’ve seen people using a few different ones.

I also just flashed my Liteon 451S@832S to the newest CG4E from codeguys. Time to play with it some more. :smiley:

socrates007,

Thanks for the advice. I use RWs for testing primarily (whether it’s CDRW or DVD+RW :iagree: ) and don’t use it for permanent files. I too am a techno type but one who believes reality is the ultimate test :smiley: .

Prior to reading you post I was already moving in the direction suggested. I used CloneDVD to make an image of a movie we got for Christmas (Dodgeball) and burned it to the DVD+RW. It’s Nero Speed Disk Quality Test, although better (Quality Score was 45) was not what folks here typically go Ga-Ga about. I then burned it to a Memorex 4X DVD+R (CMC MAG F01) at maximum speed. It burned in very slightly over 8 minutes (8:02). It’s Nero Speed Disk Quality Test was far better. (Quality Score was 97 :smiley: ).

I do have one question. How can you tell if the firmware really made this a 4X DL burner if you don’t have any DL disks :eek: ?

I prefer B7P9 because my two retail DW1620 burners get great results with it on my media. I get wonderful scan test results, but also all of my burned discs play back with no problems on my home DVD player. That’s the real and most important test. Go with whatever firmware version works best for you. Test a few ones out and see what works with your specific media and your particular home DVD player. That’s the only way to know for sure. :slight_smile:

Good question. I don’t think you can know absolutely without having DL media. Basically, check your firmware version and if its B7P9 or higher (for the retail DW1620 drive version), or if its G7P9 (for an OEM DW1620 version), then it can do DL burning. The reason I say so is because I haven’t heard of a single example where someone using B7P9/G7P9 (or newer) firmware reported not being to burn DL recordable media in his/her BenQ DW1620 burner. Maybe there’s another way, but I’m not sure.

Anyhow, remember what I said above (and you agreed also) about reality being the only true test (or ultimate test). Therefore, to more accurately answer your question, the only way to know if your drive can burn DL discs is to actually try burning them with your drive. :bigsmile:

socrates,

In my post above (#8) I said “A friend of mine (from Brazil - I’m from Canada) wanted to get an inexpensive unit while both of us were in Florida last week (on business) to take home with him. Unfortunately with the lack of time, and not knowing the local Orlando retailers, he couldn’t find any the 3 units I suggested. So it fell to me to grab one for him and ship it from Canada.”

I personally don’t see any rational to buy a DL Burner at the moment as DL Media is outrageously priced :a ! (At least here in Canada.) It’s about 26X per disk what I paid for the Memorex 4X DVD+R (CMC MAG F01) on Boxing Day. Of course if one wants / needs a new Burner the obvious choice is to go to a multi burner which can do DL and fast (16X) Single Layer along with CD’s of course. But then wait until DL Media gets reasonable. :bigsmile:

So being in the testing mode I rather not pay 1/5 of the value of the BenQ on a single DL disk, just to test this function :iagree: The specifications indicate the 1620 can do 2.4X on DL with original firmware. I have seen posts where later firmware boosts this to 4X :bigsmile: . I just want confirmation this is so :bow:

Jim,

I have in fact burned DVD+R DL media (Verbatim brand) on my two BenQ DW1620s at 4x speed before. I only bought a few of those DL discs because they’re too darn expensive like you say. But, I can confirm that it’s possible. I you have firmware version B7P9 (or newer), then you can burn DVD+R DL media at 4x speed. I hope this helps. I guess I misunderstood you.

It’s in the firmware notes for B7P9 and G7P9(i think) here somewhere in these forums for the change of some DL media to burn @ 4x. Sorry to lazy to look for it lol