1620 in external enclosure?

vbimport

Has anyone done this? What enclosure did you get? I’d want one that does USB2 and Firewire, both.

I’ve looked on Newegg, and there is a bewildering variety of enclosures, so I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has done this.

Why not put it inside the computer, you ask? Because I’m maxed out. :slight_smile: My Intel 925XCV board came w/4 SATA ports, 3 of which are occupied by my HDD, and the 4th is reserved for another HDD. The board has only one IDE channel, and I currently have an NEC 3520AW as master, and a new LG GSA-4163B as slave.

It was tought deciding between the LG and the BenQ 1620, and I’d still like the choice of getting one, as they are so cheap right now.

So, what’s the advice? Thanks.

A lot of people have tried this. I am glad you have posted your total system because I do have a suggestion, based on what I have found that works. I have a virtual match to your drives. What I concluded was that the NEC would function best in the external. The secret is the Prolific chip in the firewire bridge bus. I was going to get a Plumax case but I found a Bytecc clone here:

http://www.akida.net/.sc/ms/dd/1111278668514972/9/nc/Computer%20Hardware--Mobile%20Rack%20^2F%20Enclosure/182/Enclosure%205.25%26quot%3B%20ME-320U2F%20USB2.0^2F1394%20Combo%20(Retail)

that had the same chip. The one I got was Black. You should get 16X with the NEC, at least I did on my 3500. No other chip seems to work as well. While it might also work with the BenQ 1620, I only know it works with my NEC.

If you want the source information on this look here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=119149&highlight=big+external

By the way, I also got the BenQ last. It is OK but I have found none of my media choices where the BenQ is worth owning. If you really want something interesting consider the NEC 4550A when it comes out.

Thanks! I’ve also thought of adding an internal PCI/PCIe card, but I’ve been reading that these can be problematic. Plus, it’s just one more thing inside the system to screw things up. If I can get basically the same performance from an external enclosure, I think I’ll go that way. I’m a big fan of Firewire.

As far as putting the NEC in the enclosure, that’s good to know. What I’m learning is that each burner has its major pros and cons, and I figure if I have enough different brands, I’ll eventually have most/all my bases covered. :bigsmile:

You are right on PCI IDE cards. Most will only say they work with HDs. The best I can get from some companies is they work with “some” optical drives. I have had problems with optical on the same IDE cable as an HD even when I was on the motherboard. My ripper turns out to work best on a bridge board with USB2.

However, if you are able to use your HD on the card, and keep your opticals on the motherboard, I have read very good comments on the Promise cards. Only around $28 at Newegg.

What about this Rosewill? The manufacturer’s site lists the bridge chipset as “Oxford 911 Plus + Prolific 2507”. I’ve read the Oxford is supposed to be good, and you mentioned the Prolific–so what do you think?

BTW, in looking at these devices on Newegg, and the accompanying manufacturer’s link, the Rosewill site is one of the few that looks semi-professional (not that that makes for a solid device), and it’s the only one so far that lists the chipset in its specs.

Nope. You need the Prolific 3507 as in my sig. Hold on for a bit and I will get you a link for one that is certain to have what you want.

Here is the one you want.

http://www.dealsonic.com/plpmblcousb22.html

I haven’t used it but the “big enclosure thread” people swear by it.

“Haven’t used it”: the enclosure or the seller? I ask, because $30 isn’t too bad to take a chance on a device, but I’ve never heard of “Dealsonic”. How are they to deal with?

I’ve got my two HD’s on a promise ULTRA100TX2 PCI card, and 4 DVD burners on the four motherboard IDE channels and all works great!

I haven’t used either one. Quite a few people bought this exact enclosure from these people and have reported no problems.

You can read up on the company here. They look very reliable. A lifetime rating of 9+ is hard to get.

Agreed, this is the ideal way to max out the opticals drives inside the case. That is exactly the Promise card I have heard good things about.

I have most of my drives in an external case I built, but most people don’t want to do this. I just like to build things. :slight_smile:

I have a BenQ 1620 in one of those cases…it can reach 16X burn speed provided you upgrade to the latest Prolific firmware AND make sure you use the EW162I firmware for the drive, not the 1620 firmware. The 1620 firmware won’t make it all the way to 16X. The one drawback is that you can’t use QScan because the external drive (EW162I) only has a USB connection.

Remember to do all firmware flashes via USB, but burn over Firewire.

I was wondering, when you flash the f/w in a drive in an external enclosure, would it be more of a “sure thing” if you pop the drive out of the enclosure, and put it in your computer on an IDE channel just long enough to flash?

I have a BenQ 1620 in one of the Plumax cases mentioned above, and an external I/O magic-flashed to benQ. Both flash the f/w just fine using the usb connection.

Here’s about 9 months of testing INFO with a 1620 in an external case…

(1) Prolific PL-3507 ChipSet BridgeBoard Case is the only way to go (Oxford 911 doesn’t work).

(2) To burn at 16X with the 1620 in a PL-3507 case you will have to run the EW162I firmware (47L9) to reach 24MB/s burst rate (B7x9 firmware only provides 21MB/s not good enough for 16x).

Read the “Big External” thread for page after page of details…

Hey - I bought the BenQ DW1620 and an enclosure with Oxford 911 - found out the hard way it doesn’t work.

So, if I get this plumax case (http://www.dealsonic.com/plpmblcousb22.html), I will be able to finally use my DVD burner, which I bought back in January? Thanks a lot.

That’s the correct model. I use the same Plumax Case !!!

Just to clarify some past posts, for me, at least, the 1620 does work with the Oxford 911 chipset as long as you are content with 8X.

Hey - so I bought that case and plugged my BenQ DQ1620 into it and connected it via USB and Via Firewire and … NOTHING! No recognition of it, no nothing. I tried downloading the ROMWriter2.2.1 RS32.exe from Prolific website, but nothing. Help???

You are going to have to debug this by switching things out until you figure out what is wrong. I would start with the BIOS settings to make sure your USB is enabled. Then check something else USB to make sure the connection and Windows are working. Then try the case on another computer to make sure it is OK. There is no way a working system with all the parts OK will have a problem like this. Also try the case with a different drive of any type connected.