1620 and 1620A

vbimport

what’s the difference between 1620 and 1620A and 1620A Pro?

EDIT: also, what’s the difference between OEM and retail?

I don’t believe there’s any difference. If you’re using firmware B7P9 or later they should all be the same. Generally the difference between OEM and Retail is packaged software…

Search this forum or google first.I guess you will find the answer soon.

Internally the drives should be identical. There are more differences between products from different manufacture dates than between OEM and retail products produced at the same time.

One very important and simple difference is that the OEM drive does not include a high quality 80 wire cable. The OEM version also does not include the note that mentions that the drive is intended only for the 80 wire UDMA cable. There is a slight noise reduction that benefits write quality when using a UDMA cable even though the drive does not use the extra wires. :wink:

As already mentioned their all the same drive just different naming variations though the Pro is a 1620 with B7P9 firmware because of the new features in the firmware BenQ gave the drive a new name to market the features and is phasing out the “1620” name.

As for the “A” I thinks that’s just part of the full name, everyone calls the drive the 1620 but the full name is the BenQ DW-1620A

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer its when companies make a product that is intended to be sold to another company which will it turn sell it on as part of a system etc.

Lots of OEM stuff turns up in retail though so basically in most cases it’s just the drive on its own nothing else.

The retail package comes in a box with software (Nero), a BenQ 16x DVD+R disc and a standard IDE cable plus some screws etc.

One final difference is the BenQ put different firmware in their OEM drives but you can cross flash to the retail firmware because the retail firmware tends to be update first with the OEM later.

what’s this UDMA cable u are talking about

is there another name for it, seems like i can’t find it in any stores

Ata !00 or ata 133 cable (80 pin)

No drive uses the extra 40 wires. The extra wires are all connected to ground. They are there exclusively for noise isolation of neighbouring wires. The effect is not slight - certain transfer modes are impossible without this cable.

is this considered a UDMA cable:

ATA-66/100/133 IDE, 2 devices

also, would it help if i use it for my hard drive also? How old does the motherboard have to be to support UDMA

yes this a udma cable and it can be used with either HDD or DVD rw

I think your mobo should be made after 96 but u can check in bios or in the mobo’s book

As long as we’re on the subject of cables, you should NOT USE ROUNDED CABLES on your drives (HDD, DVD-writer, etc.). There IS one exception to that…IOSS RD3XP Gladiators.

Normal rounded cables don’t preserve the ground wire, live wire, ground wire, etc. format, they’re just all bundled together. This actually slows transfers and causes data integrity problems.

The IOSS Gladiators have individual layers that preserve the alternating live / ground wires, as well as foil shielding between layers and around the outside of the cable as well. They’re my preferred choice over even normal flat ribbon cables because of this isolation.

also, would the speed increase if i use the udma cable for my harddrive

All of your cables should be 80 wire cables for your IDE devices. Some cables are better than others and can impact speeds of data access / burns.

how do i know if the cables i’m using now are 80wire?

If you compare a 40 to 80 wire cable the 40 has much more distinct bumps on flat part of the cable vs 80 wire the cable almost appears smooth since the bumps are much less noticible. Here is a nice side-by-side comparison.

Can you tell which has 40 vs 80 wires? What do you think?