1610 to 1620 seems ok but how to verify?

vbimport

2 days ago bought a benq dvd-rw from a store that deals with RMAed parts and left overs…so the price was pretty low , less than 30 euros .

Tested the drive worked fine , the sticker on the cover reports that it was a Benq dw-1610 ... the only bad was that couldn't write  " -r " .
 Due to the low cost and the name that was reported from nero info tool and windows , "FACTORY AGING TEST" with firmware "AGE6" , decided to play with f/w .

Now after a little help from my friends here and a lot of flashing… :rolleyes:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135337
i have a drive that reads and writes both +r and -r formats and is

recognised as Benq dvd dd dw1620 .

The drive seems to work pretty nice , did some burns , +r and -r ,but  i'd like to be sure...is there a way that i can test the drive without the standart burning and scanning procudure...???

Congratulation!

Actually, 1610 is capable to burn both +/- formats. Or, It is a 1600 which originally doesn’t support -R until you flash it to the 1620 firmware.

Did you flash the latest firmware B7V9? Does it still work?
To prove it can work as a 1620, you should try to burn a dual layer dvd+r.

Maybe it is just a 1620 drive with a 1610 cover.

The label on the dvd-rw cover is : benq 1610 but i suppose it’s a special edition maybe for testing cause i didn’t find any info on the stock f/w it came with
(f/w version : AGE6)
or the name that nero recognised it at first : (FACTORY AGING TEST).

Yes i did flashed it once with the original f/w and another with the current rpc1 f/w.

Here is what discinfo reports after the flash :

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.5.5.9
VENDOR : BENQ
MODEL : DVD DD DW1620
REVISION : B7V9
VENDOR SPECIFIC :
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 2
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : NO
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : YES
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : NO
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 40

and a ? … is there any rip lock remouved firmware arround ?

Theres no way to make a 1610 into a 1620. Only the 1600 can be flashed to a 1620. If you flash a 1610 with 1620 FW the drive wont even open again.

MINE DID WORK…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135337

I can post some pictures of the drive sticker (benq 1610) and also hardware (no warranty issue) inside the drive if anyone asks…

Spare your time… :wink:
I trust you, and I’m sure all members in this forum are happy on your behalf. :slight_smile:

BTW, at links you can find “inside pictures” of BenQ 1600A DL and 1620A

: ) Maybe the drive you got is a real 1620. Maybe it is cheaper for them to mass produce 1620. Or maybe it just happen that 1610 is out of stock and they use 1620 as a replacement.

Checked the drive and in a usb box … also works ok , only the ripping speed seems a bit low .
Anyway feel :slight_smile: with my “new” drive :bigsmile:

Now since i am new to benqs i 'd really appreceate some help-quick quide on how to use MediaCodeSpeedEdit.exe … the thread is rather big to read all posts … LOL

Just read the first post and try your luck :slight_smile: