160P6S miswrites, should I send this one back?

Hi,

About a month ago I purchased a LiteOn SHW160P6S from a local dealer. The drive worked fine, until about 2 weeks ago. At that time I ran a backup so I could reinstall the OS on my system. Upon trying to restore, all 3 discs I had written using Nero turned out to have CRC problems.

The discs were Verbatim 16X discs. I had used these before with another Liteon unit with no problems. I had also used them on this drive before without a hitch.

A few writes later, the drive kept on going fine. Writes didn’t give any trouble anymore.

Yesterday I tried to write a disc using Nero 6. It wrote, said successful write, but when it started to verify, it got stuck at 2%, until I aborted. The disc was unreadable. I tried another, same thing. The discs were Phillips +R.

I tried the same discs on an SOHW-16535 unit I have on another PC, and they wrote just fine. So I ran kprobe2 on the 160P6 unit and got some rather unusual results… will post them shortly. I tried to run BLER on the written disc, and the test stuck until I aborted.

I upgraded the firmware to PS0A, and changed the cable to an 80 pin cable. I ran the ADER test again, and got better results it seems, post follows. I ran the BLER on the DVD, and got a curve which I can’t really tell if it’s good or bad… (maybe someone can help me out).

Question is… judging from the recent behavior and the kprobe tests, should I send this drive back? It seems to be working all right now, but I’m not sure about those BLER results. Anyone else had similar problems with the 160P6S?

Here’s the manufacturer data from the Verbatim disc which initially reported CRC problems:

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
Media ID MCC03RG20
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 0,26 GB
Free Blocks 137920
Number of Layers 1
Maximum Rate Not Specified
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 15,2x
Maximum Write Speed 16,0x
Current Write Speed 16,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 16,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 12,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 8,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 6,0x CLV

Here’s the data from the Phillips discs which misbehaved:

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer CMC Magnetics Corporation
Media ID CMC MAGR01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 3,39 GB
Free Blocks 1776592
Number of Layers 1
Maximum Read Speed 6,4x
Maximum Write Speed 2,4x
Current Write Speed 2,4x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 2,0x CLV

(Interesting thing… the SOHW-16535 unit on the other PC says maximum write speed on these is 4X)

And finally the 16X Maxell media I bought this afternoon:

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited
Media ID RICOHJPNR03
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 0,00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Maximum Read Speed 16,0x
Maximum Write Speed 16,0x
Current Write Speed 16,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 16,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 12,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 8,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 6,0x CLV

Now… Kprobe test results.

ADER, the weird result on the 160P6 with the Phillips media. Write speed on this one averaged about 2X. When I tried to run BLER, it died on me and I had to abort:

ADER and BLER. The same Phillips media, but on the SOHW-16535 unit on the other PC. Didn’t get a single test complaint from the other PC on this one. Write averaged about 2X.

ADER and BLER on the new (Maxell) media with the 160P6, after I changed the cable to an 80 pin. Write speed was about the same as before.

Here’s BLER from one of the same Maxell 16X discs I had written while the drive had a 40 pin cable. This time the drive had the 80 pin cable installed:

Phillips Media once more on the 160P6, but with the 80 pin cable.