16 bit 48kHz WAV files to CD-DA - questions

Used to be that if I wanted to burn WAV files that were not 16 bit 44.1kHz to CD as CD-DA format I had to convert them prior to burning in something like Cooledit, or a new app I just found called “SRCdrop”.

But I’m learning now that some (?) burning programs (latest versions of EAC or IMGBURN) will burn WAVs that are 16bit 48kHz as CD-DA, apparently doing some kind of transparent downsampling on the fly - am I correct in saying this?

And if that is correct - that some software will do the conversion on the fly during the burning process - is it possible though that that is not the most optimal way of doing it? That that may either result in some microgaps from SectorBoundaryErrors, or just be a quick & dirty conversion in the first place, and not as “good” as doing it as a dedicated step in Cooledit or other software, which gives you all types of filtering and other options? I am a bit confused on all this now.

THANKS for any answers that can help me understand this better.

Down sampling is not difficult. Whether a converter software does it, or burning software, most likely they use the standard OS routine to do it, so the result should be the same.

[QUOTE=johnqh;2132035]Down sampling is not difficult. Whether a converter software does it, or burning software, most likely they use the standard OS routine to do it, so the result should be the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but - I did some more research on this googling around the 'net before reading your response. From what I’ve been reading it sounds like different software does the conversion better/purer/cleaner/whatever than others might do. And that you should expect better results from using dedicated audio processing software with myriads of options (filters, quality settings, etc) than just leaving it to burning software (and that some software, and even versions of the same software, does it better than others).

I’m not an expert though and don’t know what the correct answer is.

Here are some interesting discussions on it:

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10610

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=54032

http://www.audiomastersforum.net/synforum/10/topic-10029.htm

And that you should expect better results from using dedicated audio processing software with myriads of options (filters, quality settings, etc)
If that’s the case, use Audacity.

It’s weird, depending on who you talk to, what you read, different people say different things. I thought I read in one of the links someone say they thought the sampling in Audacity wasn’t very good, but I may not be remembering right. I’m using SRCDrop now just because it is easier for me to do a bunch of files at once, as compared to Cooledit/Adobe Audition which is more of a manual one file at a time process.

I’ve decided not to trust the on-the-fly conversions done by burning programs though. Although my ears probably couldn’t tell the difference no matter what I use. I’d love to find some kind of definitive testing done on all this with a set answer.