16:10 vs 16:10

vbimport

im looking for a new monitor for my new rig and currently my eyes are set on the asus 25.5" vw266.

BUT, i just noticed that the native res is 1920 x 1200. ive looking around a little and some people are mentioning “performance loss” when using a 1920x1200 display compared to a 1920x1080 display.

Can someone explain what loss they mean exactly? im mostly using this rg for editing vids/pics with some OCCASIONAL gaming. will i see a loss in that regard?

thanks in advance!

The VW266 is an older monitor, and there is no performance loss when going to a higher resolution monitor that I know of.

So are you dong editing in a professional manor or is this just for family/fun? If this is more of a professional situation then you should spend a little more and get an IPS or PVA monitor. The VW266 is a TN monitor and the cheapest technology that does not support the full color gamut or wide viewing angles.

its professional editing, but on my own budget (which is low). my home rig is mostly an extension of my work computer (which is only a dell inspiron 530) so my home is better. either way, my employer aint fronting the money for new equipment so this is out of my pocket. so that asus is one of the better reviewed monitors that i could find. right now, im editing on an old dell 20" at home and an old samsung 22" at work… neither of which (i’m sure) are ideal for professional editing, but they do fine. but so for my own amusement can you point me in the direction of an IPS or PVA monitor that you would recommend? thanks

They go on sale occasionally too. This is one of the least expensive IPS monitors around, so it lacks some of the bells and whistles…no led backlighting, and may not be as color accurate as some of the other IPS models, but the price is definitely attractive.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2532981]…
BUT, i just noticed that the native res is 1920 x 1200. ive looking around a little and some people are mentioning “performance loss” when using a 1920x1200 display compared to a 1920x1080 display.

Can someone explain what loss they mean exactly?

thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

there should be no performance loss (stutter) with your hardware - the 16:9 screen is a bit smaller (less height) so performance loss (16:10) will shine through on marginal or screwed systems only.

ok thanks… i dont think i want to go over $300 so that may be a good option for me… but im really liking the 25.5" sizing of the other. ive seen it in action too and it looked great as well. decisions, decisions…