15 years of prison for 15 minutes of illegal activity

vbimport

I just posted the article 15 years of prison for 15 minutes of illegal activity.

warforpeace used our news submit to tell us
that although this is not file sharing punishment. We see that committing a
crime on the Internet has some very serious repercussions for being a…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6763-15-years-of-prison-for-15-minutes-of-illegal-activity.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6763-15-years-of-prison-for-15-minutes-of-illegal-activity.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Rape’em, shoot’em, knife’em, rob’em, beat’em…just don’t…ever…[swear words removed] with their computers… WTF is happening in this world…:X
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 30.09.2003 03:25]

Ok, I think its wrong for someone to get this harsh punishment for something like a re-write, but on the other hand he is dumb for advertising himself or even unleashing the virus at his own site. :stuck_out_tongue:

Interference with people lives around the world lasted far longer than 15 minutes. While I am not one to sympathize with the more common complaint of “billions of dollars in lost productivity” as companies ground to a halt (companies have departments that can handle it - but grandparents who use their computers to keep in touch with family do not!), the fact is that virus writers are causing harm to millions of people, and they should expect to receive jail sentences only a bit lighter than sentences for terrorism that causes actual deaths and destruction.

bla bla bla… why does cdfreaks always post this crap about punishments and all? stop spreading panic on your site! 'cause many people come here, read and then shut off kazaa. It takes 3 days to download one episode of “24” and I still haven’t found good copies of some of Dido’s songs, and that’s your fault!!!

WRfan- We post it as a service to our members so that they and/or their families may not be the subject of an unfortunate legal suit due to ignorance of the facts. We in the News Team have received correspondence from folks in legal trouble that swear they didn’t know they were breaking the law. But now they are in line for bankruptcy. It is very sad but we are powerless to help except to spread the word. We hope other members that read our site may decide that they will avoid litigation and purchase a copy of Dido’s songs. We are all adults and can make our own decisions if properly informed. Of course, CD Freaks does not condone piracy we never will, it is not what we stand for. We stand for consumers rights such as a legal backup for products we buy. We strive for choice and a legal alternative for downloading products that we enjoy that offers the freedom to use them legally as we wish. I for one hope that folks do “shut down kazaa” if they are file trading copyrighted materials. Because we don’t want to hear of any more money going into legal coffers of the RIAA or any of their ilk. I also don’t want hear from people that can’t pay the horrendous fines levied by the blood sucking RIAA and their twisted interpetation of the DMCA. We don’t want to see the undermining of a free and fair virtual marketplace. We don’t want to see our right of privacy on the Internet stripped away because of the allmighty dollar. It was not intended to cause a panic and why should it? But we also value your views as well and we hope you aren’t offended by this message and continue to voice your opinions so that we all may learn everyones thoughts. …but you asked so I answered. Thanks for listening to my rant. Regards, crabbyappleton :slight_smile:
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 30.09.2003 04:39]

Maybe it only took 15 min for him to make it but it cost companies millions and took more then 15 min to get a fix. Anyone releasing a virus just to piss people off should get penalized hard. I got hit by the virus too and it took me more then 15 min to get it wiped off. all I gots to say is… GoodBye :wink: Im soo mean :B
[edited by T4Z on 30.09.2003 08:13]

Well, I couldn’t get further accurate info on this, but as it seems, this virus variant never extended “in the wild”. Its “area of destruction” couldn’t infest more than 1000 computers. This guy didn’t make the virus, he modified the original source, which is a big difference. Not to mention (again) that the original virus creator is still at large. Well, if the hardness of the punishment reflects the gravity of the activity, then the one who originally designed the virus should receive, like, 1000 years in prison? yoshix, you are right, he left traces to lead authorithies to him, but although that was dumb, he simply didn’t know the law. Now thanx to this newspost, people are better informed that they shouldn’t do such things because they can expect the worst. The MSBlast virus expliots a Windows bug, so chronologically speaking, Microsoft were first to provide a freeway for this particular piece of viral code :slight_smile: We might as well think about that :X

Hey virus writers [swear words removed]…they’re the biggest wastes of space going, I’d put them in the same league as politicians. If they’ve got a beef with M$, and who hasn’t, why not do something constructive rather than wasting everyone’s time. People ain’t gonna stop using M$ stuff coz of these dick heads. Join the frickin’ “Lindows” team and make Lindows BETTER than Windows…! It’s already pretty good from what I hear. As for the sentence…well I’d ensure he never steps outside a jail ever again. :d
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 30.09.2003 14:53]

I’ve has Lindows installed, it’s as bad as it can get. Better use a fresh standard Linux distribution, it’s free. Lindows costs money for nothing. Well, almost nothing.

15 years … they should have hung him.

Personally if telemarketers are protected by free speech I think virus writers should be too. I mean it’s just data he’s sending out. What your computer does with it is the problem. If your computer decides to delete itself because it got an email or a bad line of data we have a problem. Remember, the viruses doesn’t delete the hardrive or mail itself to anyone it tells the computer to delete to hardrive and to mail itself to someone. But right now we have all these stupid ass [swear word removed] computers that still do what the viruses tell it to do. I mean if I told you to go jump off a bridge and you did it, I think I would feel bad but I wouldn’t consider myself a murder. I would just consider you a dumb ass. When are we gonna stop using dumb ass computers
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 30.09.2003 16:21]

----Personally if telemarketers are protected by free speech I think virus writers should be too. I mean it’s just data he’s sending out. What your computer does with it is the problem. If your computer decides to delete itself because it got an email or a bad line of data we have a problem. Remember, the viruses doesn’t delete the hardrive or mail itself to anyone it tells the computer to delete to hardrive and to mail itself to someone. But right now we have all these stupid ass [swear word removed] computers that still do what the viruses tell it to do. I mean if I told you to go jump off a bridge and you did it, I think I would feel bad but I wouldn’t consider myself a murder. I would just consider you a dumb ass. When are we gonna stop using dumb ass computers---- HAHA thats one of the stupidest things Ive ever heard on this site. I guess I can stab you with a dirty needle and give you aids then, your stupid body is the one that gets infected!! People should stop using thier stupid bodies!! HAHAHAHAHA

I think that seven years for rape is too little punishment. Twenty-five years to life sounds about right. And time off for " good behavior " ? Forgettabout it ! Romania , get with it !

Who cares if the writers of virus’ know if they are breaking the law or not? If they set out with the sole intention of making life difficult for as many people as possible with no regard for who they are affecting who cares what happens to them? I don’t! They get what they deserve. I didn’t suffer directly from the MS.Blaster virus, however, the number of people I had to help to eradicate it from their machines tells me that I really don’t care what happens to virus writers.

Well look at SUV’s. Instead of telling people to stop driving like idiots when they start to rollover we recall the SUV’s and try to stop them from rolling over. When computers start deleting their own information don’t you think it’s time to start designing a better one. I guess no one sees it like that. Because if they did maybe we wouldn’t have this problem. And look at AIDS, we’re trying to find a cure or a vacine. AIDS attacks our immune system. By trying to find a cure or a vacine we’re trying to find a way to change our immune system so it can attack the AIDS. All cures work that way. It doesn’t matter how many antibiotics you have if you have no immune system to help them out. To stop AIDS we have to find a way to change our bodies to fight against it. To stop SUV’s from rolling over we have to build safer ones. To stop computer viruses we have to build smarter computers.
[edited by chsbiking on 01.10.2003 02:30]

What would happen if someone made a device that made a little sound and caused the computer chip in your car to malfunction that almost always caused an accident and bodies started to pile up all over the world? Do you think the only thing to come of this would be the devices would be made illegal? Or do you think the car makers would have about 24 hrs to come up with a fix? The problem here is no one is looking to force Microsoft to fix the crappy software they make.

You guys have a point, but malicious behavior simply cannot be excused by our wimpy computers or operating systems. Does it make it ok to drive airplanes into buildings, just because we havnt learned how to make buildings dodge airplanes? Does it make it ok to plunge a knife into someone just because they havnt adjusted thier DNA to have steel hard skin? The makers of the virii are 100% in fault. Nobody made them do what they did. They did it out of pure selfish maliciousness.

You don’t even get 15 years for murder in the UK:( So let me point OUT that writing a virus is worth more than a human life? Somehow this is incorrect as no sound of mind judge in the UK would make a comparison between the two and state the murder of a fellow human being is a lesser act than that of writing a virus. If that was the case then rather than filling the over populated prisons, would it not be deemed more approriate to just give a leathal injection. 1. Puts you too sleep. 2. relaxes your nervous system and 3 finally stops your heart. If any of you on this site think that virus writing is far worse than taking a human life then I suggest you P*** *** and never come back for you are deemed as the devil in my eyes.:frowning: Intercept…:S
[edited by intercept on 02.10.2003 01:13]