1440x600 resolution? Huh?

I paid for and legally downloaded a movie. I just now noticed the original download specs say “1440 x 600 resolution” (original format was .MKV) and yesterday I converted it to an .AVI but did not click the box that said “maintain 4:3 aspect ratio” because I had thought the initial movie was widescreen and didn’t know if checking that box would convert it to fullscreen. (Note: I never actually checked the original file to see if it was widescreen because VLC won’t handle MKV files, but I assumed it was because it was a HD download).

Now when I right-click the file, the Properties displays:

I’ve never heart of 1440 x 600. Shouldn’t 600 be 720? When I preview the movie in my VLC player, it looks compressed. Any advice to a new video user what is going on here?

VLC will play most .mkv files. Yours may be using some weird codec like RealVideo.

Have you tried playing the original .mkv in Media Player Classic HomeCinema or KMPlayer?

What did you use to convert? It is now using Xvid codec for the video.

Oddly enough, I just tried it for a third time and voila, it works–plays in VLC, no black bars (that was the weirdest thing). To answer your question, I used Digital Media Converter Pro. Now that it’s working (go figure) do the specs on my AVI conversion look alright? I’ll be doing it a lot in the future and I guess now that this thread exists, I should double-check with the “experts” here and make sure I’m doing things correctly.

1440 x 600 is 2.4: 1 widescreen anamorphic. Try converting again and use a 640 x 272 frame size this time. See if you like the results better.

640 x 272 is 2.35 : 1, but may be close enough.

[QUOTE=LadyJemima;2301358][B]I paid for and legally downloaded a movie.[/B] I just now noticed the original download specs say “[B]1440 x 600 resolution[/B]” (original format was .MKV) and yesterday I converted it to an .AVI but did not click the box that said “maintain 4:3 aspect ratio” because I had thought the initial movie was widescreen and didn’t know if checking that box would convert it to fullscreen. (Note: I never actually checked the original file to see if it was widescreen because VLC won’t handle MKV files, but I assumed it was because it was a HD download).

Now when I right-click the file, the Properties displays:

I’ve never heart of 1440 x 600. Shouldn’t 600 be 720? When I preview the movie in my VLC player, it looks compressed. Any advice to a new video user what is going on here?[/QUOTE]

Fom where?