14 full length movies on a single CD-ROM?

I just posted the article 14 full length movies on a single CD-ROM?.

IM4AQT and DamnedIfIknow used our news submit to tell us "Hmmm....while  maintaining the same quality? Impressive if true. We all know how crappy video  conferencing looks."           ...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11725-14-full-length-movies-on-a-single-CD-ROM.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11725-14-full-length-movies-on-a-single-CD-ROM.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I Wonder if this same technology will shrink Sonys and Microsofts execs as well.Vista-Ray! :r

It seems vapor ware as the “revolutionary” fractal compression… We heard about it but we never see it working…

Yea, exactly. These kinds of claims are a dime a dozen. Every 6 months to a year we hear about some great new compression algorythm and then it fades away like nothing ever happened. So, we’ll see, but, call me skeptical.

I think the hitch here is that a videoconference is typically a single camera that doesn’t move for the duration. Theoretically it could be constructed of a single keyframe followed by delta frames. If true this means every frame must be examined, therefore skipping ahead or starting midstream is time-consuming if not impossible. I think they’re busy looking for a low-budget movie that fits this bill. Otherwise, why not just compress one and tell us how great it is? :+:+

Let’s see a royalty free film compressed and released on the net. THEN we’d know if it was just hot air or not.

I do this for a living and claims like this become very tiresome after a while. Fortunately, reporters and editors have learned (a few hundred years after the laws of thermodynamics have been discovered) that perpetuum mobile is impossible. Unfortunately, information theory is only 60 years old. We can’t expect journalists to learn that fast, can we?

Finally, a season of a TV show on one disk instead of an expensive boxed set with art and frills. :slight_smile:
[edited by themushroom on 11.04.2006 22:11]

If you read the whole article it explains how this conversion system, if it rearly exists, works, it says it works on objects such as certain details on an actors face, so the longer the film the better the compression could be, this obviously alsso depends on the film, a film like phone game would obviously be alot smaller than a fast action film, well let’s see if it comes to anything, the principle behind it is feasable just very hard to accomphish…

Great, now all they need to do is to put 14 movies on an old school floppy!:d

Mpeg4 can potentially make very high compression as it incorporates objectbased compression in its part-10 incarnation, very high compression ratio with intereactive capability; it is not strange to hear a compression schema with 4X smaller file size when compared with generic MP4, as H.264 already did and as a logical side effect, push up encoding/decoding processing requirement by an order. IT would be interesting to know what the processing power expectation of such a new compression method, may be hardware only(I wonder) :wink:

Yes - i agree with that - I’ve been using MPEG4-p10 as well and it’s great. As to object based - i don’t see how that’s different at all - because MPEG4 recognises “regions” of the screen and “warp-points” to modify the video. If they had object based compression - they still have “regions” defined as objects. And they probably still have “warp points” too - for modification of the objects. I don’t see how it is different. MPEG4 does a damn good job already - if the new codec is that much better - imagine the amount of processing that will be required for it to work! Usually - more compression = more work.