$13.99 FTI FalconMedia Shiny Silver 8X DVD+R Dual Layer Media 20 Pack in Cake Box ( Free Ground Shipping)

http://www.supermediastore.com/fti-falcon-media-shiny-sliver-8x-dvd-plus-r-dual-layer-20-pack.html

From what I can see enlarging the photo on the web page, they appear to be made in the UAE with Media Code RICOHJPN D01.

Excellent! Now people can try them out, without being forced to buy 50 or 100, and without paying the premium price for printables. Very good news. This makes them competitive with retail 20-packs of Verbatim.

so no one has used these yet?

i was just curious as i am trying to possibly find some dirt cheap-ish media for my Optiarc 7240S drive that will be ‘decent’ burning quality… any recommendations?

because the way i see it is… if you cant get it half price-ish of Verbatim DVD+R DL , then it’s just not worth it… so these are almost half the price of Verbatim as those are $25.99 for 20 vs these which are $13.99 which is almost half.

p.s. mostly using it for large video files i got. pretty much PC data backup. not going to use them in the XBox360. as for that i use only Verbatim.

Why don’t you buy a pack and see how they work for you? At this price, it’s really not much of an issue. There are lots of tests in the blank media forum, but those are mostly of the printables in 50-packs.

The media is overall excellent, but consistency has been an issue. Some people have had better results than others.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817501023 … i am considering those possibly as there cheaper per disc @ about $0.66 per disc in a 50 pack (i.e. $32.99 for 50 discs) (i believe they are RITEK S04 media code)

i would like to find some of those scans on the forum but so far i cant find any.

negritude… you have any experience with those discs on a 7240S drive?

I bought one cake when I posted and should be here in a few days. I’ll post some scans when they get here.

I just got them last night after work. They are made in the UAE and have a mirror finish on the “label” side, no writing or markings at all. As soon as I get some time, I’ll burn one and post the details.

Here it is the scoop. I [U]TRIED[/U] to burn two disks. The first at 8x and the next one, after the first one failed, at 4x.

They both failed with a burner “Power Calibration Error”. I have two identical Lite-ons with the same firmware (see signature below) and I did burn on each one and both failed the same way.

This is the discs ID:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RICOHJPN-D01-067]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [067]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I used the latest Imgburn (2.5.0.0) to burn an ISO file I have had on my HDD forever (7.2GB) and have never seen the Power Calibration Error from any of these two drives - I have only read about it.

I am running WinXP Pro x64 on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM. Perhaps I just wasted 14 bucks… :a Oh well…

For the heck of it I burned 3 more SL disks immediately after this and the drives worked perfectly.

[QUOTE=kerozene;2451053]Here it is the scoop. I [U]TRIED[/U] to burn two disks. The first at 8x and the next one, after the first one failed, at 4x.

They both failed with a burner “Power Calibration Error”. I have two identical Lite-ons with the same firmware (see signature below) and I did burn on each one and both failed the same way.

This is the discs ID:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RICOHJPN-D01-067]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [067]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I used the latest Imgburn (2.5.0.0) to burn an ISO file I have had on my HDD forever (7.2GB) and have never seen the Power Calibration Error from any of these two drives - I have only read about it.

I am running WinXP Pro x64 on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM. Perhaps I just wasted 14 bucks… :a Oh well…

For the heck of it I burned 3 more SL disks immediately after this and the drives worked perfectly.[/QUOTE]
They burn ok in the Optiarc 7240

2-8x burns
1st-Optiarc 7200 1.Z3 by Dee
2nd-Optiarc 7240 1.02bt by Liggy

Great burns and low Jitter!

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2451620]2-8x burns
1st-Optiarc 7200 1.Z3 by Dee
2nd-Optiarc 7240 1.02bt by Liggy[/QUOTE]
Very nice burns :clap:. Lowest jitter I’ve seen from Falcon DL’s :flower:(and I’ve found jitter to be one of the best indicators for good SAP playback with these). Any playback issues? If this is what the latest “value-line” Falcons look like, quality may be headed back to what I got spoiled on prior to the last 50-spindle shipments :D(yeah, the last 50’s gave me usable burns, but I would really miss those purty 12X burn scans when I run out of my tape-wrapped 100’s :().

@kerozene
Had a friend try these in his 20A1 with less than great results as well. Not coasters, but his 20A4 handled them much better at 8X, and of course his AD-7200 burned them quite well.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2451687]Very nice burns :clap:. Lowest jitter I’ve seen from Falcon DL’s :flower:(and I’ve found jitter to be one of the best indicators for good SAP playback with these). Any playback issues? If this is what the latest “value-line” Falcons look like, quality may be headed back to what I got spoiled on prior to the last 50-spindle shipments :D(yeah, the last 50’s gave me usable burns, but I would really miss those purty 12X burn scans when I run out of my tape-wrapped 100’s :().

@kerozene
Had a friend try these in his 20A1 with less than great results as well. Not coasters, but his 20A4 handled them much better at 8X, and of course his AD-7200 burned them quite well.[/QUOTE]

Yes, not bad for $14.00 for 20 delivered. Believe it or not I had some issues burning with ImgBurn at the layer break huge PIF spikes 20-25 Max. @8ecc. OH HAPPY DAY! check out the pearl DL. My best results have been with LiteOn 324, Q.S. 97. No playback issues now that I am burning with Nero. I still like the white better for printing but these burn the way I want.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/optiarc-ad-7240s-7241s-7243s-results-discussion-269788/index53.html#post2451699

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2451708]Yes, not bad for $14.00 for 20 delivered. Believe it or not I had some issues burning with ImgBurn at the layer break huge PIF spikes 20-25 Max. @8ecc. OH HAPPY DAY! check out the pearl DL. My best results have been with LiteOn 324, Q.S. 97. No playback issues now that I am burning with Nero. I still like the white better for printing but these burn the way I want.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/optiarc-ad-7240s-7241s-7243s-results-discussion-269788/index53.html#post2451699[/QUOTE]
Wow. Thanks for the heads-up on the 324. Just checked out your burn scan. Knocked me right off the fence about needing one :bigsmile:. Does the 324 use the standard 4-6-8-6-4 18 minute burn strat w/ these, or is it more aggressive? Haven’t noticed that big a difference between ImgBurn and Nero with these, but I’ll go back to Nero a bit more and see if it shows up. Thanks :flower:.