12x for 832s?

Since you Codeguys can perform miracles, like turning 4x drives into 8x DL drives, is there any way to make an 832s write at 12x, or is the hardware completely different?

It’s really not much of a miracle. I think that it simply just caught people by surprise because they had been told over and over again that it could not be done. But the hardware and firmware suppor was mostly there all along. The (albeit limited) success of the 51S@2S crossflashing of the olden days (using US05 or UYS1) was quickly dismissed because everyone (including me) was looking for 8x -R and thus the lack of 8x -R blinded people (including me) to the fact that the rest of the stuff worked perfectly fine.

In any case, back on topic, no, 12x is not possible because there are a lot of differences between the drives, the most important of which is the use of a new controlling chipset.

Where are 8x DL drives? :bigsmile:

I think that u can’t burn at 8x for dual layer because how the disc is made. To make the DL media now at 2.4x speed is very hard (50% sucsess rate in manufactureing).

Kenshin, I type faster than I think :slight_smile: You know what I meant.

Can we write a faster firmware program ourselves instead of cross flashing onto the firmware of a faster model?

BTW I can never understand how those 451S could be flashed onto a 851S, doubling the burn speed. If the hardware is not the limiting factor, and could stand this speed, Liteon could have programmed to that speed right at the beginning. If hardware is indeed the limiting factor, then firmware hacking will only result in failed burns. Firmware is just a software, and should not make such a big difference

LiteOn has teams of programmers working on their firmwares, and they also have the benefit of full knowledge of all the necessary technical specs and information. So for all practical intents and purposes, no.

BTW I can never understand how those 451S could be flashed onto a 851S, doubling the burn speed. If the hardware is not the limiting factor, and could stand this speed, Liteon could have programmed to that speed right at the beginning. If hardware is indeed the limiting factor, then firmware hacking will only result in failed burns. Firmware is just a software, and should not make such a big difference

Look at the latest 451S and 851S firmwares. They are virtually identical. In fact, the 451S firmware was built just minutes after the 851S firmware, according to the firmwares’ internal timestamps. The hardware is not the limiting factor. The firmware is. And they limited it not because of technical reasons. But because of profit motives. This way, they could practice price discrimination–the 451S drive reaps a lower profit margin, but if they could get the budget consumers who would not otherwise buy a 851S to buy the cheaper 451S, then a lower profit margin is still better than no profit margin. In other words, it’s an artificial limitation designed to squeeze our wallets. :slight_smile:

It comes down to development time. There is a lot of work involed in creating all of the 8x strategies. Also at the time there was little to no 8x media available, so people were quite happy to have a drive that was 2.4x or 4x.

Where LiteOn fell down is that they should have provided updates themselves. It would have been terrific PR for them. Instead they were hoping that people would keep on upgrading their hardware. But in reality with the drives coming out so quickly and with the second hand market being so accessable (with places like EBay) there probably has been little increase in sales from upgrading. People would have been forced to buy new drives because the existing customers would have been very happy with there drives and there would have been few drives on the second hand market. LiteOn would have had an exceptional reputation as a company that cares about it’s customers…LiteOn, it’s not too late… :wink:

Edit: Oops, code65536 beat me again… :slight_smile: