120 minute limit?

This is probably a very newbie question, but is there a way around the 120 minute limit of videos on DVD-Rs? With special features on some DVDs I have ripped with the Shrink I swear there had to be more than just 2 hours. What’s the scoop?

You can get quite a bit more. I won’t pretend to know all the technical aspects of it but there are diffrent levels of compression and diffrent bitrates that can be used. In addition, both mpeg 1 and 2 files are dvd compliant if I am not mistaken. Mpeg 1 files are much smaller for the same amount of video. Be aware though, the more you try to pack on the disk, the lower the quality and the diffrence can be very significant. Depending on the quality of your source files though, you may be able to get more with out any loss if the originals are not top quality dvd recordings (not even comercialy produced dvd movies always use the highest quality settings). If I recall right, you can get about 1 hr of video and audio on a dvd at maximum quality, and about the most you can get and still be dvd compliant is 8-9 hours of video and audio (be aware that if you put that much the video might be vhs quality if even that good). mpeg 1 files which will allow the most are noticably lower quality than mpeg 2. I think that most software will only put about 4 hrs max using mpeg 2 (I have seen software that will put 6 hrs but I’m not sure if it is using mpeg 1 or 2). What are you trying to burn and what software are you using?

in fact, i’m going to be even less technical than ripit.

the “time limit” is a load of BS. DVDs have a fixed capacity…for a single layer disc that’s 4.7GB.

you can fill that up with 30 minutes of high quality video or 30 hours of compressed crap.

it’s just a matter of finding a compression level you’ll be alright with.

my tv sucks, so I once fit four hours onto a disc before i really even noticed a quality issue. I don’t recommend doing it that way especially if you have nice playback equipment, but that’s the way it works.

120 minutes is just a guide that the manufacturers give to play on our leftover familiarity with the way VHS tapes work (end even with VHS there was the difference between SP and LP)

Thanks a lot. I thought it was a load of crap. I am just putting together a little compilation of some 30 minutes videos.

My next question would be what bitrate should I use? I am using TMPGEnc 3.0 Express and it asks what audio and video bitrate to encode to. I really don’t feel like fooling around and wasting discs to find the perfect rate, but my TV is 27 inches and my source video is at a rate of about 1000 kb/s.

Would it be advisable to keep the rates the same as they already are? Maybe increase it to 1500? Any experiences with a similar sized TV?

(And I am not THAT picky about quality)

bitrates i have no clue about, but I’m sure someone else will hop in. I’m more of a clonedvd or dvd shrink type of girl dealing with percentages of compression.

good luck finding your answer. I’m sure someone will be able to help!

Can you explain further? What types of files do you compress? How exactly do you go about doing it?

I use Shrink to copy movies, not ever use it with just files though. I am intrigued.

I think she meant with movie backups. When you use shrink, clonedvd, nero recode or whatever it compresses the video. Thats how it fits the contents of a dvd-9 onto a dvd-5. Depending on how much is on the original dvd, diffrent amounts of compression must be used. Again, Im no technical expert here but you have both compression and bitrate to deal with and I believe they are diffrent things, but both effect size and quality.
As far as bitrate, I usally use nerovision express that automatically selects the bitrate. If you try to add too much content, it asks you if you would like to reduce the quality to allow it to fit (and will do this each time you exceed the capacity of the disk for the current bitrate. The default bitrates for nero are
9716 kbit/s high quality
5073 kbit/s standard play
3382 kbit/s long play
2537 kbit’s extended play
these are all 720x480 d1
It also offers 1691 kbit/s at 352x480 (half d1) as the lowest mode

Perhaps you could make a single disk with samples of each of those 4 full resolution bitrates to see how they compare? Just use the same sample clip but encode it 4 times and author them all onto the same dvd (I’m pretty sure you can do that). That way it only takes one disk to try out some diffrent bitrates.

Thanks so much man. That is a great idea. I will choose a small clip so I don’t have to wait forever! Thanks for the specific numbers as well.

Oh. My. God. What is going on? How is this possible? I am burning 29 MB, yes 29! to a DVD-R and it is taking Nero FOREVER to write the lead-out. I don’t get it. It has been 6:04 already and it is only 33% done the lead-out.

Does writing so little make a difference? This is ridiculous.

I have never burned so little to a dvd, but I think that you can disable it doing that. If I am not mistaken, it is set for high compatibility mode (or something like that), and will write a minimum of 1 gig (so a huge leed out). I could be way off on it being 1 gig but it writes a certain minimum to improve compatibility with some players. You can turn that feature off. I’m not sure if turning it off causes playability problems or not (I think it applys more to older players).