11 year old CD perfect?

vbimport

I tested my oldest CD that I have using Nero Disc Speed (latest) and the Quality Test result is perfect. Can this be true?

The manufacturer is Hitachi Maxell and my drive is LG GSA-H10A. You can see the test and the disc in the images:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

For what I know LG drives are not able to do scans, so that test is not reliable in my opinion.

You should test that disc with a Plextor Premium or with a liteon CD burner. Bear in mind that liteon [B]DVD[/B] burners are not fully reliable to scan CDs, but it’s certainly a better alternative to a LG drive :slight_smile:

BenQ DVD burners also scan CDs well. Also my NEC/Optiarc burners do OK at 32x scan speed.

So maybe a buddy has one of those, quite a few to choose from. :slight_smile:

Wtf how did you even get discspeed to start a quality scan with an LG???

[QUOTE=nick_white;2048729]Quality Test result is perfect. Can this be true?[/quote]No. :bigsmile: Never, ever.

ANY media has low-level errors. Even the best TY CDR burnt in the best burner and scanned in the most performant/tolerant CDR reader in my book (Samsung SH 203B) shows C1 errors.

Perfection doesn’t exist. When you think you meet it, something’s off. Either it’s your perception, or the circumstances, or the methods, or the observation scale, or the interpretation, whatever. :wink:

Well the disc is fully readable by the LG so I guess that’s a good sign after 11 years.

Btw, how can it be 11 years old if it’s got office 2000 burnt on it? Did you buy the disc in 1997 and decide to burn office 2000 onto it, 2-3 years later? :stuck_out_tongue: The creation date says 1997 but that’s probably what the original disc says. If you copied that disc again, it would still say 1997. Much like this one that says it’s made in 1999 yet I backed it up this year.

Methinks a couple of things don’t line up here…

[QUOTE=nick_white;2048729]I tested my oldest CD that I have using Nero Disc Speed (latest) and the Quality Test result is perfect. Can this be true?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to CD Freaks. That disc is certainly quite old, but maybe
not as old as you think. I don’t think 8x CD-R were readily available
in 1997.

They were just as i didnt wanna pay the extra for them from the 4x verbs i was using for psx backups in my yamaha and teac :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2049021]Well the disc is fully readable by the LG [/QUOTE]What makes you think that? No TRT has been posted, or have I missed something?

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2049148]What makes you think that? No TRT has been posted, or have I missed something?[/QUOTE]

Haha… yes I think that max speed quality scan fooled me into thinking it was a simple TRT :doh:

Maxell 4x CD-R [B]11 years old[/B]? I dont think so.
My 11 year old Philips & Kodak CD-R are 1x and 2x!!

[QUOTE=chef;2049283]Maxell 4x CD-R [B]11 years old[/B]? I dont think so.
My 11 year old Philips & Kodak CD-R are 1x and 2x!![/QUOTE]

It’s an 8X CD-R which makes it even more unlikely.

[QUOTE=chef;2049283]Maxell [B]8x[/B] CD-R [B]11 years old[/B]? I dont think so.[/QUOTE]

No way. That CD-R is 8 years old at most :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=chef;2049283]Maxell 4x CD-R [B]11 years old[/B]? I dont think so.
My 11 year old Philips & Kodak CD-R are 1x and 2x!![/QUOTE]I’m almost 100% sure that there was 4X TY CDRs in 1997.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1081445-post13.html
Of course one’s memory is never perfect. :confused:
My memory also tells me that these discs costed about BF 150 by the time I burned the one above. Wich is ~€ 3.75…

I know for sure that I have Kodak CD-R media rated at 12x which is manufactured in 1999 (9 years ago) which should give a data point.

I also have some slower older CD-R media at home that I can check.

Oh, and welcome to CDFreaks, [B]nick_white[/B]! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2049429]I know for sure that I have Kodak CD-R media rated at 12x which is manufactured in 1999 (9 years ago) which should give a data point.[/QUOTE]

Really? :eek: It must be expensive as hell then.:doh::bigsmile:

No joke. What would a 25 pack of those puppies run back then?

I think they still were sold in jewel cases only… :wink: