10x, 12x blu ray burners

vbimport

The ice is starting to melt at newegg on their LOWER priced items such as blu ray burners

10x lg $99.99 f/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181&cm_re=10x_bleu_ray--27-136-181--Product

also as tempting
12x $109.99 f/s lite-on!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106346&cm_re=12x_blu_ray--27-106-346--Product

IMO, these prices should have happened early september, but oh well… better late price cuts than never.

Not bad but still priced to high IMO when they get down to lets say under $40.00
and the BR discs cost less than $1.00 a piece I might consider jumping on the BR
bandwagon then.

[QUOTE=getit29;2549034]Not bad but still priced to high IMO when they get down to lets say under $40.00
and the BR discs cost less than $1.00 a piece I might consider jumping on the BR
bandwagon then.[/QUOTE]

Well, it’ll be a long time before you have $40 BD [I][B]burners[/B][/I]. However, if you look, you can find $2 BD25 discs and that ain’t bad. Meanwhile, I’m lovin’ making Bluray movies for just a few bucks and don’t regret spending $200 on my Pioneer 205 last year. I can also make bluray “movie only” burns on [B]DL discs[/B] that I can’t tell the difference on my 50’ Sony. And you only need a BD [I][B]reader[/B][/I] to do that.

Price went back up at new egg…
Eventually there will be a glut of electronics of all kinds building up at the end of q1 2011 which will need to be clearanced. Specifically, the price of burners and media need to reach accetable levels to get mass adoption.
Consumers are generally satisfied with warehousing media on large hard drives instead of backing things up. Dvd media also provides a better value for data archiving than blue ray. Once the economics come in line with consumer interest we will be talking about blu ray drives & media instead of dvd media.

My price targets are q2 2011 10x burners $45-$70
1 layer $.60 in volume of 25, $.50 volume 50
2 layer $1 volume 25 $.75 volume of 50

Wondering if we will see any inoovations in speed/quality… is 12x the fastest possible for burning blue ray media? or will we see 16x? With acceptable error rates/ratios.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2549734]
My price targets are q2 2011 10x burners $45-$70
1 layer $.60 in volume of 25, $.50 volume 50
2 layer $1 volume 25 $.75 volume of 50[/QUOTE]

I’m afraid you’re gonna have a long wait brother.

[QUOTE=ricoman;2549852]I’m afraid you’re gonna have a long wait brother.[/QUOTE]

Incase you haven’t noticed, China isn’t exactly SLOWING DOWN the shipping the glut of goods to the USA in recent years and that overzealousness will put prices at a disadvantage during strategic times. Then the media has to invent some type of crisis to convince the counsumer to lap up the glut of goods shipped to the USA that goes unsold for months on end… some of which is perishible if it sits warehoused too long. Think items with BATTERIES such as laptops…

All this will trickle down in 2011… it’s not a fantasy, it’s a proven fact that this happens in cycles. 2007 glut, followed by a stingy 2008, 2009… and 2010 sucked as well… 2011? It’s a toss up on whether the glut will materialize… but I suspect it’s going to happen.

Newegg’s been raising prices left and right on all their items to make the “SALES” look very big for the holiday season, no dobut. Certain items can have inventory problems so, it’s wise to raise prices first to ensure either a big profit upfront, or stock onhand to compete in the blood bath which is Black Friday / Cyber Monday. Not that E-Tail is stuck in the red all the way though to November… they’re well in the black by mid year IMO, they just make a KILLING the last quarter. Why could a etail store sucha s New Egg go public without being able to turn a tidy profit at expense of B&M?

Key: I’m generalizing and stereotyping economic trends to make a point.

That’s just pure speculation based on wishful thinking. The “proven fact that this happens in cycles” is neither proven nor a fact. It’s like saying “what comes up must come down” but where, when and how far down is nothing more than a guess… just like my guess that it will be a long wait brother.:bigsmile:

BD-Rs are already below a buck, regular price. $9.99 4x 10-packs are easy to find, and sales go as low as $7.99, meaning they’re already more cost-effective than dual-layer DVDs. I figure $150 for a burner AND 50 blanks is a far lower entry point than when I jumped on my first DVD burner in 2003 … if holiday sales reduce that by 20% (a reasonable proposition), then you’re looking at $120 for the hardware and 1.25TB of media.

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2550724]BD-Rs are already below a buck, regular price. $9.99 4x 10-packs are easy to find, and sales go as low as $7.99, meaning they’re already more cost-effective than dual-layer DVDs. I figure $150 for a burner AND 50 blanks is a far lower entry point than when I jumped on my first DVD burner in 2003 … if holiday sales reduce that by 20% (a reasonable proposition), then you’re looking at $120 for the hardware and 1.25TB of media.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure I would trust any BD media for under a buck. I’d have to get a review or MID from it first. As for the rest of what you say, I think that is reasonable, but a far cry from the $0.60 per disc and $45-$70 for a burner that the OP spoke of. Again, just MHO for what it’s worth.

[QUOTE=getit29;2549034]Not bad but still priced to high IMO when they get down to lets say under $40.00
bandwagon then.[/QUOTE]

stop complaing about prices, those are excellent deals

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2550724]BD-Rs are already below a buck, regular price. $9.99 4x 10-packs are easy to find, and sales go as low as $7.99, meaning they’re already more cost-effective than dual-layer DVDs. I figure $150 for a burner AND 50 blanks is a far lower entry point than when I jumped on my first DVD burner in 2003 … if holiday sales reduce that by 20% (a reasonable proposition), then you’re looking at $120 for the hardware and 1.25TB of media.[/QUOTE]

cheap Chinese media is nothing more then a problem down the road.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2553532]cheap Chinese media is nothing more then a problem down the road.[/QUOTE]

What’s worse than losing 4.7 or 8.5gb of backed up data?
Losing 25 to 50gb worth! Until lots of early adopters become the lab rats to see what the real world conditions are for hardware and media, we won’t truly know whether it’s too good to be true… I suspect something quite sinister with the blue ray standard and the media which may not be as long lasting as dvds are… the LTH media records with a much higher error rate/ratio than many of the poor quality dvd media. while not actual proof that will be a long term storage problem… the correlation will have to lead to some changes/tweaks to satisfy mass adoption by consumers for use as a data backup. add to that the plummeting prices of hard drives, and it just might be cheaper for a consumer to buy a $50 1-terabyte drive just as a backup… The only maintinence for that is just to use it a few times a year just to make sure the mechanical parts dont’ sieze-up…

HDD might be cheaper, but in no way are they more reliable.

HDD can go bad, and instead of loosing 25gb, you loose 1tb

Maybe I should get into the business of predicting … Newegg’s Black Friday (on a Wednesday?) sale went live today, and I grabbed a LG WH10LS30K for $79.99 and two 25-packs of Optical Quantum blanks for $19.99 each. So, off by three cents. The discs get consistently high reviews, and I’ve yet to run into a reasonably priced burner with across-the-board excellent reviews, so I’m happy to make do with “good enough” for now. I’ve had four 1TB HDDs fail on me in the past 16 months; my goal is to have backups that don’t fail in terabyte increments, as nekrosoft13 noted.

When I got my first DVD burner, I still did primary backups to CD as well because the media weren’t proven in the long term. I expect I’ll do the same with this transition. Try the convenience but not put complete faith in it. That said, the first CD I burned (Nov. 1997) still works, so …

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2559416]
When I got my first DVD burner, I still did primary backups to CD as well because the media weren’t proven in the long term. I expect I’ll do the same with this transition. Try the convenience but not put complete faith in it. That said, [B]the first CD I burned (Nov. 1997) still works[/B], so …[/QUOTE]

Which media/brand did you use?

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2559416]Maybe I should get into the business of predicting … Newegg’s Black Friday (on a Wednesday?) sale went live today, and I grabbed a LG WH10LS30K for $79.99 and two 25-packs of Optical Quantum blanks for $19.99 each. So, off by three cents. The discs get consistently high reviews, and I’ve yet to run into a reasonably priced burner with across-the-board excellent reviews, so I’m happy to make do with “good enough” for now. I’ve had four 1TB HDDs fail on me in the past 16 months; my goal is to have backups that don’t fail in terabyte increments, as nekrosoft13 noted.

When I got my first DVD burner, I still did primary backups to CD as well because the media weren’t proven in the long term. I expect I’ll do the same with this transition. Try the convenience but not put complete faith in it. That said, the first CD I burned (Nov. 1997) still works, so …[/QUOTE]

Actually, 2x & 4x dvd medi was quite reliable-- even though the technical error rates/ratios went from 100% quality in cd-r to as low as 90% on dvd-r/+rs. The built in error correction was more than enough to compensate. As the record speeds ramped up to 16-20x & media becomes cheaper, we’ve run into a brick wall of long-term reliability, when compared to “pressed” discs. This is much more the case with blue ray.

[QUOTE=chef;2559483]Which media/brand did you use?[/QUOTE]
3M “Imation” (wow … the good old days) 4x CD-R 650MB, dark green dye. It was burned on a 2x SCSI the next-door neighbour had in the dorm. I ran into it packing to move a few years ago and was shocked that it worked.

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2560771]3M “Imation” (wow … the good old days) 4x CD-R 650MB, dark green dye. It was burned on a 2x SCSI the next-door neighbour had in the dorm. I ran into it packing to move a few years ago and was shocked that it worked.[/QUOTE]

The early 2x cd-r dyes used back then were VERY GOOD… not like the crap they use today (excepting TY premium and Verbatim AZO). You are right in that consumer’s dont’ TRUST blu ray as a viable data storage back option just yet. That will take time. I ordered the LG 10x blu ray burner & some optical quantum discs. They seem good sofar. I like the fact that they sealed the edge of the discs properly. In poor quality discs that is something left to chance. However, no Blu-Ray quality scan fature on this drive (yet?). Maybe readback data rates are a better indicator of initial quality than pure error scans.

bandwagon then.[/QUOTE]

110 percent agreed!

the whole “$1 a disc tops” is the most important thing in the matter although i still would not want to pay more than $50-75 MAX for a decent brand burner.

because once it reaches $1 per disc MAX then Blu-Ray will definitely be the overall better choice for general storage over current DVD recordable discs.

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2560771]3M “Imation” (wow … the good old days) 4x CD-R 650MB, dark green dye. It was burned on a 2x SCSI the next-door neighbour had in the dorm. I ran into it packing to move a few years ago and was shocked that it worked.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s the cool stuff!
I only used KODAK GOLD CD-R and PHILIPS CD-R at that time, approx. DM 15 a piece…