109 locked at 4x

vbimport

for some reason my 109 has locked to 4x.

its not the media as 4x is the max even when a disk isnt in.

ive reinstalled nero and alcohol and also the aspi layer. but still locked at 4x write.

im using winxp sp1.

thanks for any help.

possible reasons

a) dma see this guide http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616
b) firmware see the current version with nero infotool and check in pioneers site for newer and if there is newer then update , regardless to the problem firmware updating is nearly always a good thing

edit are you using a 80wires ide cable for the drive? you must since it supports ata66 and with a 40wires cable it will be much slower

got the latest firmware on.

dma mode on both chanels are on mode 4 and 5.

cables are fine also.

thing is its been fine for ages then this :frowning:

Well ive formated and its still locked at 4x

ive not changed anything and it started doing this, maybe the drive is borked ?

No, that sounds like a drive/config problem.

How have you “formatted”? Did you do a proper clean OS install?

If that won’t work, replace the IDE cable.

Clean format and install. and ive just replaced the ide cable and still locked :frowning:

tryed it in a 2nd pc and its also locked to 4x write .

seems its a drive issue.

is there anything i can do?

Have you tried different firmware ?

it was on 1.40 i think, so i decided to try 1.57 to see if they fixed the problem but didnt fix it :frowning:

Obviuos a drive issue - test it in another PC then RMA if possible.

yeh tsted in another pc and still locked at 4x

Very strange as its been going perfect for ages now then yesterday just decided to lock at 4x

Seems i had 1 good pack and 3 dodgy packs of Go5’s :@:@ just tryed a bunch from another pack, 4th tryed! and they came up as 12x’s

How dodgy !

Thanks for all your help and suggestions tho guys :slight_smile:

"Seems i had 1 good pack and 3 dodgy packs of Go5’s :@:@ just tryed a bunch from another pack, 4th tryed! and they came up as 12x’s

:rolleyes: - G05 again. Many G05s have been produced with a 4x manufacturer speed, actually. I’ve never come across these but most have been sold under the Ridisc brand last year, and they were specified as 4x discs.

If yours are clearly specified as 8x discs (what brand actually??), you should take them back and have them replaced or get a refund…

Exactly, they should be avoided. So much complaints about them…