1080/720?

Please forgive these noobish questions…

1. Are ALL commercial blu ray movies 1080p?
  2. Why are some rips of claimed “blu-rays” in 720p? Is it because they are ripping the title in their native format?

All commercially made Blu ray movies that I am aware of use 1080p, but the standard allows other resolutions, especially 720p, so it is [I]possible [/I]that there are some commercially made movies in something other than 1080p, just not likely.

As far as these “rips”, perhaps they are trying to save space, and make for smaller uploads and downloads.

1080p is 1920 x 1080 or 2,073,600 pixels

720p is 1280 x 720 or 921,600 pixels
So there is a considerable potential savings in the size of the files.

By the way Onlock, this site is fairly strict about discussions of copyright protected material. We can talk about these rips in the abstract if you like, but not about specific examples if they are copyright protected films.

We [B]can[/B] help if you’d like to make backups of Blu ray films that you own.

Welcome to the forums.

Kerry I hear you loud and clear. Understood on the copyright…

Lets talk abstractly… I want to rip my purchased blu-rays to an .mkv container for playback on my HTPC…

I have a 1080p resolution TV - wouldnt it be logical to rip them to .mkv in 1920x1080 resolution?

What reason would I have to rip a blu-ray to 720? Save space?

Any reason to go to mkv rather than just keeping them in Blu ray format? Is the .mkv necessary for streaming perhaps?

It would be simpler to keep them in 1080p, rather than re-encoding to 720p. Encoding HD material is time consuming and requires a fairly powerful computer and a lot of hard drive space (original rip from the disk + working files + end result video…which can add up).

With hard drives getting ever larger, and falling to a reasonable price per terabyte, I don’t see much incentive for changing the resolution just to save storage space.

Can someone please answer what encoding software can handle making DivX output files with HD resolutions: 852 x 480, 1,920 x 1,080 , 1,280 x 720.

I have DivX Author currently, but it’s dated and can’t handle 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=Kung-Fu Theater;2447099]Can someone please answer what encoding software can handle making DivX output files with HD resolutions: 852 x 480, 1,920 x 1,080 , 1,280 x 720.

I have DivX Author currently, but it’s dated and can’t handle 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Although you didn’t like one of the replies you received [B]here[/B] does not justify you cross-posting.

Please read the forum rules before posting again.

[B]SJ[/B] :cop:

[QUOTE=Kung-Fu Theater;2447099]Can someone please answer what encoding software can handle making DivX output files with HD resolutions: 852 x 480, 1,920 x 1,080 , 1,280 x 720.

I have DivX Author currently, but it’s dated and can’t handle 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

You can use imtoo and xilisoft dvd rip products ( thy also have HD Rip as well)

Xilisoft DVD Rip

Just rip your blu-rays and leave them alone. Your quality stays the best (no encoding so no data/quality loss!).

mkv is nice but very unforgiving container and doesn’t say anything about the used codecs.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2447171]Just rip your blu-rays and leave them alone. Your quality stays the best (no encoding so no data/quality loss!).

mkv is nice but very unforgiving container and doesn’t say anything about the used codecs.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but what software dose rip BR to MKV?

Its a two step process Z411dQ8. Run AnyDVD HD in the background and use MakeMKV to produce an .mkv file for you.

Guide for this process: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic366744.html

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2447270]Its a two step process Z411dQ8. Run AnyDVD HD in the background and use MakeMKV to produce an .mkv file for you.

Guide for this process: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic366744.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot man, (HandBrake) was really helpful software I’m using it to watch movie on my WDTV :slight_smile:

Is there a way to to convert BD ripped video to (720p) because when i rip the video and convert it to MKV there are no options for 1080p and 720p in HandBrake software?

You would have to re-encode the file with Handbrake. In the Picture Settings, set Anamorphic to None, then make the resolution 1280 x 720.

I have converted UP 2009 movie to MKV by using HandBrake but the audio was too low, is there any way to increase audio and it it possible to have 700MB file in 1280 x 720p HD video or is it to small for a movie?

What is the meaning of DRC, it’s in the Audio tap next to the bright option.

Here is the explanation for DRC in the Handbrake help section: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression

What format was the audio? You should be able to use some of the audio codecs found in blu ray without reencoding them. Just a straight copy of AC3 (for example) would work.

I see well, the link that you just posted explained everything, thanks… :slight_smile:

BTW i was converting from MKV to MKV again just to recode the audio from AC3 to (Mp3 or ACC) to be playable by my WDTV.

Sorry to necro but this is the thread that brought me to these forums. I like what I see here (the forums) so I signed up and wish to add my input on this thead (no more necro posting after this one I promise!)

1. Are ALL commercial blu ray movies 1080p?
  2. Why are some rips of claimed “blu-rays” in 720p? Is it because they are ripping the title in their native format?

1.) I would have to say no. I have ripped BR before and it was 1080i so I guess not all movies are 1080p

2.) People like to rip than re-code to 720p it has a few good reasons. A.) It can save quite a bit of space and B.) It takes a lot less computer power to play 720p. Even my atom based netbook can run 720p that is encoded with sane settings but 1080p is out of the question. C.) Lots of people (laptop users) dont have 1080p screens so it would be pointless to view 1080p content on a screen where it will be scaled down.

Any reason to go to mkv rather than just keeping them in Blu ray format? Is the .mkv necessary for streaming perhaps?

.mkv is such an awesome container it supports more than just about everything. You can use more B-frames and full 5.1 high profile encoding if your going to go ahead and encode the video and compress it a lot and retain all of the quality. Also it adds more compatibility say you have one of those HD movie players like the WDTV it supports .mkv just fine but wont play native BR rips.

The other things is when your going to do this work you can cut the extras off you do not need like movie trailers, warning screens, bonus features etc and only keep what you want.

The only reasosn I would keep the native BR files is if I wanted to one day create a duplicate of the BR disk (say your use BR player you can create a copy of it and store the original to keep the disk mint, however with those HD movie players like the WDTV I would rather rip and encode and store in MKV and play it that way and never mess with a disk at all)

Hi ViciousXUSMC.

We’ve no problem with users adding useful information to old threads and that’s why they’re left open.

I hope you find your time here useful and welcome to the forums. :flower:

Nice first post BTW. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]