1008 dead after failed flash HELP!

vbimport

I tried using the flash update utility from the BTC web site (IDPFLIDR1008.exe) to upgrade to 055… 3/4 of the way through, the program reported a write error, and told me to restart the computer, then the computer locked up. I am using Win98SE, no programs were running other than the flash program. On rebooting, the BIOS could not detect the BTC drive. The drive LED does no light up, and the tray will not open- it’s as though there is no power to the drive, but it is plugged in.
I tried using MTKflash in DOS, but it never got beyond the “updating 00%” point. To do this, I had to disable the drive detection in the BIOS, otherwise the computer would not even boot.
Is there a way to completely erase the EEPROM and start fresh, or is it beyond recovery?

Update: I was able to flash it w/ a Lite-on firmware, now it at least has power and will open, but it does not work, and I can’t use any windows update software b/c it sees it as a lite-on drive! I can’t find ANY DOS flash utility for BTC drives, yet I see all over the forum where people are flashing the drives in DOS… HOW??? Where is the flash utility for DOS? It is not on the BTCEurope web site.

Update: Found the Dangerous brothers firmware site, treid both 054 and 055, but mtkflash will not read them, tells me the file is invalid… I’ve downloaded them multiple times…
Does anyone have a file the mtkflash will read that I can use to fix this drive?

Use MTKFLASH v1.69 or later only.

As for the command line you need, search this forum for MTKFLASH and take time to read the posts.

Regards, Martin A

I have mtkflash 1.8. It can flash the drive fine (I used it to flash the LiteOn 811s firmware to the BTC drive, see above). The problem is finding a firmware binary that MtkFlash can use- the ones I got from Dangerous Brothers’ site cannot be opened by this version of mtkflash…
Is there any source for a DOS flashing utility AND firmware from BTC? I came across a thread by MarcosBTC that said he had both, but I can’t find any links to said files.

For those who might be interested, the BTC drive was completely non-functional after flashing the Lite-On firmware to it- the light blinked constantly, the tray was EXTREMELY slow, and unless you held it closed, it would cycle continuously from open to closed… very strange.
Edit:
Fixed! I got the bitsetting firmware from Pizzaman a few posts down, and it flashed fine! I think I’ll rename this drive “Lazerus”
:wink:
So, from now on, I back up my current firmware w/ MTKFlash in DOS BEFORE I update w/ the BTC flasher in windows.:a

Even w/ a bad flash, I can ressurect it w/ MTKFlash and a good firmware binary.

Originally posted by zapp
Edit:
Fixed!

Good for you!

The problem is finding a firmware binary that MtkFlash can use- the ones I got from Dangerous Brothers’ site cannot be opened by this version of mtkflash…

I’m not sure I know what you’re talking about. MTKFLASH doesn’t have any problems with the firmware files on the DB’s site. You’d only have to extract the binary from the zipped archive, and bingo!

What I have not tried yet - and I’m not very likely to try it in the future because I deeply distrust flashing anything under Windows - is using the flash proggy which is part of the DB archives. It may work perfectly or it may blow up your system - I have no idea.

Is there any source for a DOS flashing utility AND firmware from BTC? I came across a thread by MarcosBTC that said he had both, but I can’t find any links to said files.

You won’t be able to find a link because there is none. If you should need to flash your drive again, under DOS, send an email to Marco at BTC Support and ask for the (then current) DOS flash package; I’m sure he’ll rush it to you in no time flat.

Unless BTC have changed their policy, they are sending out the DOS package only to the truly needy and upon specific request, e. g., to those who may have to recover from a bad flash. AFAIK their position is that flashing under DOS is too ticklish for the average Joe because if you don’t watch out, you could do a lot of damage to your system - and if this should happen, they don’t want to be the ones who get the blame.

Regards, Martin A

hi zapp can you please tell me how did you get the lights back and from where to get the lite on flash program so that i can get my lights back too.
thanks,
dvd_rw

I assume your drive is dead like mine was- no lights or open/close. Can you boot to DOS w/ a boot disk?

I just used MTKFlash 1.8… NOT MTKWinFlash… but the DOS version.
To get past POST, I had to disable the IDE channel the drive was hooked up to (Secondary master), or the computer would not boot. You may not need to do this. Yes, the flash program will still find the drive even after it is disabled.

I have a working 055.bin file you can use (e-mail me zapp@reprehensible.net) or you can use the bitsetting firmware from Pizzaman I referred to earlier.

hi zapp thanks for replying i have the exact same problem. the drive is dead and no lights no open close on computer start it says drive dead and doesnt allow me to boot. I also sent you a mail hope you recieved it. I tried to flash in dos using mtkflash but it goes upto 005 and then is stuck at that. Any help would be really appreciated.
thanking you,
dvd_rw