1004im stuck in pio, refuces to use dma

How nice…

I thought that flashing the drive to fw.49 might help. Well it did not. The drive is now officially dead. Tried reflashing, nu result :frowning:

edit:
I’ve gotten it alive again: look how i’ve done it

But still no DMA

well guys i had a 1004 fully working in DMA mode on my pc but after trying to flash it to firmware 49 it died completely.
i had the drive(2months old)replaced for a new 1008 drive and guess what NO DMA selectable it will only go to PIO.
i have flashed the drive(succesfully) with all the latest firmware 55, 156 , 256 BUT STILL NO DMA!!!
with PIO this drive is SSSSSOOOOO SSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOWWW
please help !!!
DONT FORGET MY OLD 1004 RUN IN MY PC FINE IN DMA!!!

well guys i had a 1004 fully working in DMA mode on my pc but after trying to flash it to firmware 49 it died completely.
i had the drive(2months old)replaced for a new 1008 drive and guess what NO DMA selectable it will only go to PIO.
i have flashed the drive(succesfully) with all the latest firmware 55, 156 , 256 BUT STILL NO DMA!!!
with PIO this drive is SSSSSOOOOO SSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOWWW
please help !!!
DONT FORGET MY OLD 1004 RUN IN MY PC FINE IN DMA!!!:slight_smile:

To quote Marco: this does smack of a problem with the IDE interface.

If I were you, I’d start looking at my IDE drivers first and then go about probing for possible conflicts with other software which uses DMA.

Regards, Martin A

i cannot see how this is possible as i said before all i have done is to change from a BTC 1004 working fine DMA enabled on my pc TO A BTC 1008 which will not DMA enable .
I have not changed my pc or anything on it so why should it be a pc fault???

New here so if not technically correct give me a break. Here’s how I solved my PIO problem and slow speeds. I am using XP home and BTC 1004 as a slave. I encountered problems when upgrading to firmware 048. Slow speed burning DVD and wouldnt burn cd’s. After trying numerous scenarios this is what fixed it for me. I flashed firmware back to 043 and uninstalled DVDXcopy. Then uninstalled primary and secondary IDE’s. Then let windows reinstall them and had access to DMA channels and were reset fine and held up in the DMA mode fine. But did encounter the same problem when reinstalled DVDXCOPY express, it went back to PIO mode. So on my system I assume some conflict. I deleted it and uninstalled the channels and on reboot was able to reset again. For me using Shrink and Nero a perfect combination and have burned 20 dvd’s or so without any problems with being stuck again in PIO. I hope I explained this well enough.

I had the same problem too.

Here is what I did:

Go to device maneger - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Right Click Secondary IDE Channel and uninstall it (Don’t worry).

Now click on the little computer in the top (the tip is scan for hardware changes).

Wait a little and you will see it installed again.

Go again to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Secondary IDE Channel and see if you can select DMA now.

See you

thanks for all your replies
uninstalling drivers for ide did not work uninstalling drive and ide drivers did not work BUT I DONE IT!!!
i booted to bios screen and selected the ide port i was using and instead of leaving it on automatic i tried USER setting but that didnt work it just hung up on startup screen so i selected the second to last setting on bios screen ide setting which is CD/DVD and that now works my setting is now ultra DMA 4

BUT!!!
NERO WILL STILL ONLY LET ME BURN A 1X
and on the nero toolkit it says my dvdrw drive is only 1x write and 8x read
WHAT THE F IS GOING ON!!!

Hell yeah!

I’ve fixed the damn thing!!

I was staring me blind at the pio/dma stuff, but the cause of the problem lied somewhere else… One of the pins of the drive was pushed a bit inside, en didn’t connect with the cable. After fixing that, the drive was still in pio, but after a reinstall of the sec - ide bus (like discribed above) and a reboot, it works fine at Ultra DMA mode 4 :cool:

Happy burning :slight_smile:

It seems that the btc drives don’t like other drives on the same cable. I have a Sony 24X CD writer and a BTC BVD316 and I had the same problem with both of them.
When I had the 1008 alone in the ide cable it worked just fine in dma mode.
When I tried to use two drives in the same cable the 1008 was recognized by windows but it had initialization problems. I tried all the setting in slave/master combinations and the 1008 only worked as slave in pio mode.
When i removed the other drive everything was ok again.

I have a QDI KUDOZ7 - athlon 1700 - xp professional greek version - 256 mb ram.

It seems that the btc drive does not handle the ide bus very well.