vbimport

What can i do ??
I f update the firmware of 1004!!!
Update is gone good in dos , after a restart the system hang up
by checking IDE ports .

the 1004 is dead !!!

Need help please !!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hi
For test, you can make FIRST a back-up to test the drive.
Then you can fash back to an older firmware.
:cool:

My computer hangs up betwen the IDE Channel checking!!!
THX

If you need the files and a recovery guide: http://www.drvupdate.com/liveupdate/setup/userguide/LiveUpdate-UserGuide.htm#Flash%20Failure%20Recovery

Yes it’s true that some mainboards hangs with a dead drive connected (mine does as well).

This sounds scary and may damage mainboard or drive (should not - but you never know), but I’ve done it with two BTC drives myself.

First disconnect drive (only the IDE cable)
Follow the guide in the link I gave you.
When the computer have booted to dos and you are ready to flash - connect the drive (yes with the computer on) and flash it using the files and guide available in my link.

Worked both times for me.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]If you need the files and a recovery guide: http://www.drvupdate.com/liveupdate/setup/userguide/LiveUpdate-UserGuide.htm#Flash%20Failure%20Recovery

First disconnect drive (only the IDE cable)
Follow the guide in the link I gave you.
When the computer have booted to dos and you are ready to flash - connect the drive (yes with the computer on) and flash it using the files and guide available in my link.

Worked both times for me. [/B]

My drive is dead after an update as well, and I followed your advice, but the programm tells me that it doesnt recognize the drive…
(normal flashing works, so it seems, but windows still doesnt startup after a flash in dos)

Where can I get fw.48 or even fw.43?

Originally posted by Meester[NL]
Where can I get fw.48 or even fw.43?

Look here. However, it’s rpc1 firmware only.

I dont have a clue about what “rpc1 firmware” might be, but i’ve fixed the problem.

Problem:

After a firmware flash windows xp hanging on startup with ide-check.

Solution:

• Boot in win98se (i’ve got a dual boot system)
  • Use firmware from site senturio gave us

And now the not-so-nice-part

• Reïnstall Windows xp, or else it keeps on hanging (not in save-mode though) I’ve used ghost for this :slight_smile:

This has fixed the problem, but the question is; wasn’t just reïnstalling xp enough?

Boot with another dvd-rom or so on the IDE cable in DOS. When it’s booted SWITCH the good drive with the dead drive on the cable while computer is running. Then flash the drive.
Should bring it back alive.

Originally posted by Meester[NL]
I dont have a clue about what “rpc1 firmware” might be, but i’ve fixed the problem.

Good for you! Congrats.

RPC is short for “Region Playback Control”. Basically and without going into the gory details, RPC will determine whether you can watch a video DVD you’ve bought in, say, Indonesia or the US in your living room somewhere in, say, Europe or South America.

There are two principal variations. RPC1 and RPC2. RPC1 means region-free, i.e. with RPC1 firmware your DVD player (or drive) will not ever refuse to play your Indonesian film.

An RPC2 firmware will lock your DVD player (or drive) to the region code of the first DVD you play and permit only a limited number of region changes before it will lock the drive permanently to one region.

RPC was introduced with the intention of increasing the industry’s profits from DVD sales.

Regards, Martin A

i too have a dead drive and when i was flashing it in dos i got an error telling me a fatal problem has arisen please re boot pc
when i did the pc just hung on the startup screen
f2 f8 screen
but the only way to run pc was to disconnect ide cable to dvdr
so i tried what you said and booted in dos then reconected ide cable and tried to flash drive again BUT got exactly the same error
!!!
please help anyone i can run my pc with a cdr on the same ide cable but as soon as i connect the dvdr i get the fatal error!!

Originally posted by bigguy283
i too have a dead drive and when i was flashing it in dos i got an error telling me a fatal problem has arisen please re boot pc
when i did the pc just hung on the startup screen
f2 f8 screen
but the only way to run pc was to disconnect ide cable to dvdr
so i tried what you said and booted in dos then reconected ide cable and tried to flash drive again BUT got exactly the same error
!!!
please help anyone i can run my pc with a cdr on the same ide cable but as soon as i connect the dvdr i get the fatal error!!

Before hotplugging the drive I’d try disabling it in the BIOS, i.e., setting the IDE port the drive is connected to to “None”. Then you should be able to at least boot your machine.

Chances are good that you can flash the drive back to life then (under DOS, however!), even though it is disabled.

Regards, Martin A

thanks for the reply BUT my pc boots up fine with cdr on ide port i then disconect cdr ide cable and plug it in dvdr all is still ok
but then when i run mtkflash i get the “fail to initial ide port please reboot pc”

is there anyway i can do this

p.s the flash prog cant fit on 1 floppy so i put it on 2

flashmtk 0 - 7 on 1floppy
flashmtk 8 - end 2nd floppy

Maybe changing your DVDRW from Master to Slave (or vice versa) while temporarily disconnecting your CDR will help (look here).

And, like I said before, you could just disable your drive in the BIOS instead of connecting it under load, so to speak.

Distributing the fw banks on two floppies ought to work, but this is nothing but speculation from my side - I never tried it. I always used a binary firmware file which is a lot smaller. It fits on a floppy, along with MTKFLASH.

Regards, Martin A

Edit: Elling sperror

how do i do the binary thing you desribe is it putting
mtkflash
bin/file
on 1 disk
if so how do i run this please i.e what command do i write after
A:>

many thanks for all your help

how do i do the binary thing you desribe is it putting
mtkflash
bin/file
on 1 disk
if so how do i run this please i.e what command do i write after
A:>

For mtkflash 1.69 and 1.80, the command line to use with a binary firmware file is:

mtkflash X w /b /m <filename.bin> or
mtkflash X w /c /b /m <filename.bin>

if the one above won’t work. “X” is, of course, denoting the IDE port your drive is connected to - 1 for Primary master, 2 for Primary slave, 3 for Secondary master and 4 for Secondary slave.

For mtkflash 1.80.1, the command line to use with a binary firmware file is:

mtkflash X w /m <filename.bin> or
mtkflash X w /c /m <filename.bin>

You don’t need to set the /b switch with this mtkflash version as, other than the older versions, it defaults to binary. (The older ones default to hex.) In fact, it has been reported that setting /b even though it’s not required may make for an unpleasant surprise.

Refer to the MTKFLASH help page; you can invoke it by calling up MTKFLASH without any commands or parameters.

And oh, BTW, you could search this forum for MTKFLASH; I’m sure this will bring up a lot of posts.

Good luck, and let’s know how things turn out on your side.

Regards, Martin A

hi there!
just to let you know that my 1004 was knackerd (on the first time i tried to flash under dos,using windows i flashed my 1004 5 times without a single prob) so i had to return to the shop for a replacement!!!
luckily they replaced it with a new 1008
whats the best firmware to use so i can bitset dvd+ for my standalone player?
p.s thanks for all your help(this forum is the reason i chose another BTC)

just to let you know that my 1004 was knackerd

“knackerd”? I’m not sure I know what you mean.

Or rather, I’m very sure that I do not know what you’re talking about.

Regards, Martin A

“KNACKERD” = totaly bolloxed up unable to use, bring back to life

Thx for enlightening me :cool:

Regards, Martin A