100-Pack of 16X TY DVD-R for $25.99 - Are These Really Premium Line Taiyo Yuden?

vbimport

Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 16X DVD-R Media 100 Pack (Premium Line) in Tape Wrap:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/supermediastore-taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-4-7gb-silver-thermal-lacquer-100-pack

I used to be under the impression that Premium Line was only available in cakeboxes, but now with the whole JVC rebranding and the fact that their cakeboxed media is crap, I’m wondering if maybe this tapewrapped media could be the old-school good-stuff. Note, it has the old UPC code, not the new JVC one. Thoughts?

I’m going to guess those are the old-school discs. :iagree:

[QUOTE=negritude;2491776]Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 16X DVD-R Media 100 Pack (Premium Line) in Tape Wrap:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/supermediastore-taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-4-7gb-silver-thermal-lacquer-100-pack

I used to be under the impression that Premium Line was only available in cakeboxes, but now with the whole JVC rebranding and the fact that their cakeboxed media is crap, I’m wondering if maybe this tapewrapped media could be the old-school good-stuff. Note, it has the old UPC code, not the new JVC one. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
It’s old school, I purchased the 100 tape wrapped premium line from SMS about 6 months ago. It was the nastiest TYG03 I have ever had:Z:Z:Z

[QUOTE=negritude;2491776]Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 16X DVD-R Media 100 Pack (Premium Line) in Tape Wrap:

I used to be under the impression that Premium Line was only available in cakeboxes, but now with the whole JVC rebranding and the fact that their cakeboxed media is crap, I’m wondering if maybe this tapewrapped media could be the old-school good-stuff. Note, it has the old UPC code, not the new JVC one. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

TY was selling the premium line stuff tapewrapped long before the JVC deal…

Price has dropped to $22.99. Despite the fact that these might turn out to be crap, at this price, I can do some testing.

On sale again for $22.99 w/free shipping and 100 85g paper sleeves.

Hey, I never noticed this before… but this is the first time I recall seeing a dvd media advertised as supporting upto 20x recording speed (officially?). If that’s the case, I might just buy some even though I just ordered 100 verbie +rs… very tempting.

Well, I got a pack of these for $22.99 w/free shipping, and all I can say is, thank goodness they were cheap. To quote jamescooley, “…It was the nastiest TYG03 I have ever had…”

I’d love to see scans. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=negritude;2514503]Well, I got a pack of these for $22.99 w/free shipping, and all I can say is, thank goodness they were cheap. To quote jamescooley, “…It was the nastiest TYG03 I have ever had…”[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the TGY03 frisbees I got in the 2 for 1 scam… err… sale on the JVC PrintPlus DVD-R (cakebox). First time DVD-R Verbatim’s burned better than TY for me on any of my burners.

On the other hand, the the TGY03 Silver Inkjets (tapewrap) I bought at the same time ranged from bad to below average for the first 70+ discs and then [I]magically[/I] burned excellently for the remander of the spindle.

Burned a few old stock Silver Lacquer TY02 DVD+R (about 2-3 years old) (cakebox) to see if it was the burners/software - Nope! Sweet burns of mid to low 10K PIE’s and under 100 PIF’s for many scans.

Either quality control, shipping/handling are crap or both. Maybe TY doesn’t give a crap anymore.