100, 50, or 25 discs spindles?

vbimport

I can have here 100 discs spindles (Verbatim) at a much better price than 4 X 25 discs or even 2 X 50 discs…
But what about the weight of this thing (2 Kg) and the quality of the last discs at the bottom ?

From my experience, there is absolutely no quality difference between 10, 25, 50 or 100 packs of media.

Welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

I usually go for whichever deal comes out cheapest.

But some here prefer to buy smaller spindles.

i like getting 2x 50 might get diff batches in the case of taiyo yuden media espcially one might be good one might be bad both might be bad or both maybe excellend :confused: lol its totally up to you

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2068069]25[/QUOTE]I’ll second that. :iagree:

Unlike previous posters, I’ve found sometimes dramatic differences in quality between large and small packages of optical media, would it be CDR or DVDR.

Generally, the large packages I had were of lesser quality, with more marginal discs with spots, speckle, tiny scratches etc…; :a I think it’s because of the weight/resistance/tightness ratio leading to low-level damage during transport of these things.

I always advise to buy in the smallest possible packages, but 25-discs spindles are perfectly fine for DVDR in my experience, no need to buy in smaller packages. With CDR, 50-discs spindles have always been fine for me.

EDIT A notable exeption for me is TY CDRs, which are always top-notch in 100-discs packages, but maybe it’s because I always get them shrink-wrapped, never in cakeboxes. :confused:

I third this. At least if you’re not happy with the quality, you’re only stuck with 25 discs instead of 100.

I have found that there tends to be more scuff marks on discs in 50pc cakeboxes than in 25pc or 10pc cakeboxes, presumably because the discs have more space to move around and there’s more weight involved in the scuffing. I can’t say this is based on statistically significant research, however.

I have only very rarely bought in 100pc cakeboxes (only when it was the only option).

I prefer the 25pc cakeboxes even when they are a little more expensive.

I like the 50s they seem to be a handy size for me

I buy Verbatim [B]printable[/B] DVD+R in 50’s because they aren’t branded, i.e. they’re white to the hub. Otherwise I’d prefer 25’s.

G

I haven’t seen any difference in quality between the three amounts. In fact, some of my best media is in 100 packs.

I don’t mind buying a 100-pack, but I only do that in-store. I visually inspect all spindles in an almost anally retentive way for any indication that they were handled roughly at any point before I got my hands on them. Spindles where there is any deformation of the outer wrapping are usually an indicator that some disks will be scuffed or damaged. In particular, by looking at the spindle base, and noticing any trauma to the wrapping at that point, or the base itself, is usualy a good indicator. You can tell when someone dropped them or slammed them down roughly.

I’ll second what Negritude said, so long as the 100 spindle looks fine it should be ok.

I’ve used a number of 100 spindles of verbatim media, both CD-R and DVD-+R and have not noticed any problems/drops in quality etc.

I’ll admit that there’s more chance of a 100 spindle receiving damage if it’s dropped or mishandled but that’s about the only concern IMO.

If it’s much cheaper, go for 100 spindles.

If it’s relatively the same, go for 25 spindles.

Most of my experiences have been with 50 spindles though, and they seem to always turn out good.

[quote=cd pirate;2068827]I’ll admit that there’s more chance of a 100 spindle receiving damage if it’s dropped or mishandled but that’s about the only concern IMO.

If it’s much cheaper, go for 100 spindles. [/quote]

Here I can have a 100 spindle Verbatim for 28 €, or a 25 spindle for 10 €…

Unfortunately all the 50 spindles I see are MIJ, and according to this forum,
TY media under Verbatim brand dont seem to be the best choice…

[QUOTE=koookooo;2068831]Here I can have a 100 spindle Verbatim for 28 €, or a 25 spindle for 10 €…

Unfortunately all the 50 spindles I see are MIJ, and according to this forum,
TY media under Verbatim brand dont seem to be the best choice…[/QUOTE]

You’re right, TY under Verbatim brand name is definitely a bad idea from my experiences also.

From the prices you posted, I’d definitely recommend the 100 spindle.

I usually buy 25 (DVD) or 50 (CD) disc spindles.

I don’t trust 100 disc spindles too much (don’t know why, maybe it’s cause I fear to be stuck with a huge bad batch) and 10 disc packs are usually overpriced.

IMO, 25 and 50 are ideal packaging sizes with attractive pricing.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2068827]I’ll second what Negritude said, so long as the 100 spindle looks fine it should be ok.

I’ve used a number of 100 spindles of verbatim media, both CD-R and DVD-+R and have not noticed any problems/drops in quality etc.

I’ll admit that there’s more chance of a 100 spindle receiving damage if it’s dropped or mishandled but that’s about the only concern IMO.

If it’s much cheaper, go for 100 spindles.

If it’s relatively the same, go for 25 spindles.

Most of my experiences have been with 50 spindles though, and they seem to always turn out good.[/QUOTE]

Same for me too!

The drawback sometimes when you buy 100 spindles is that you don’t get the fastest write speed supported. Some times when I ordered both 50 and 100 spindles I end up with 18x support on the 50 spindles but only 16x support on the 100 spindles. I guess it’s more sale rotation on the smaller packages.