10 Software applications you once loved, but now forgot about

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: 10 Software applications you once loved, but now forgot about[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/01/myce-wordperfect-5.1-dos-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The longer you’ve been in computers the more software you’ve seen come and go and over time you probably installed and uninstalled a lot of software. You might have used some applications for years and despite how much you once loved them, you now pretty much forgot about them. Here’s our top 10 of software that was once installed on the majority of computers but now has become obsolete for various reasons.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/10-software-applications-you-once-loved-but-now-forgot-about-74659/](http://www.myce.com/news/10-software-applications-you-once-loved-but-now-forgot-about-74659/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I only started using computers in 1999,so some of the stuff on that list I only know by name…:bigsmile:

I changed quite a few of those I did use @ that time,though…

I used GetRight,replaced it with Flashget after a short while and now using IDM.
ZoneAlarm was replaced by Sygate Personal Firewall and now I’m on Outpost Security Suite Pro (besides a lot of other security progs :smiley: ).
ICQ was only used for a VERY short time,never replaced with something else…:disagree:
Never used CorelDraw,many years ago,I got PaintShop Pro for free on a contest and now using TheGimp for graphics.
WinAmp was replaced by FooBar and now mostly using AIMP…
CdrWin was quickly replaced with CloneCd,and now I’m mostly using Alcohol 120% and DaemonTools Pro Advanced.

Two I thought would be here.

1. Nero Burning Rom. For a period - until version 6 was the last one, everyone used it. Then v7 was buggy bloatware that people switched (talking 300-400mb for a burning app here that also often didn’t work and clashed with other apps you installed). v8 was even more bloatware and so forth. I switched to Imgburn which is a tiny (to install) but feature packed burning software.Â

2. Winzip - it was everywhere till Windows offered Zip as part of windows, and winrar was better.

I used #1, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 and #10 in the past.

I now use 7-Zip in place of ARJ and JAR and use its 7z format for file compression of my own files. It can also uncompress RAR files.

As for Microsoft Encarta, it also included the equivalent of the HowStuffWorks website. For example, if you look up a refrigerator on Encarta, it has a video showing how its heat pump works to cool the interior.

Another reason software firewalls were popular was that most Internet connections went straight to the computer, especially in the days of dial-up Internet, so the operating system was exposed to all incoming traffic and connection attempts. The vast majority of Internet connections today are handled by a router, which means that unless the user has ports forwarded to the computer, incoming connection attempts will fail. Even when port forwarding is configured, most users don’t open ports the OS listens on and these are the ones that use to be exploited such as by infamous Blaster worm.

Winamp was great and fairly lightweight while in versions 2.x and then became resource heavy once it hit version 3.x. I abandoned it once AOL took it over.

I had literally forgotten about some of them. Others I no longer use, but do remember.

I remember many software programs that were once indispensable.

The first one was GEM. This was a graphical user interface for DOS systems.

I was one of those very glad to move away from DOS, and with the introduction of Windows 95 and 98, GEM was outdated.

Netscape and the Zone Alarm firewall were two I used a lot, but there was also SpyBot-Search and Destroy. Too bad Spybot degenerated. I haven’t used it for close to a decade now.

There are a lot of video tools I used in the past that have fallen by the wayside, abandoned by their authors or forced to shut down. When I first came to CDFreaks, DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink were the go to programs. Both still work, even in Windows 8.1, but both have serious flaws that will never be addressed.

I still use CorelDraw, indeed it is one of the most used pieces of software on my computer. Of the 500+ optical discs I have ever printed, all but 2 were printed directly from CorelDraw using a home-made template (and those were 2 copies of the same disc).

But the oldest software I still use is a shareware file copy utility just called Synchronizer. I use it a [I]lot[/I]. It hasn’t been updated since 1996, but I can’t find anything better (or even as good). There are lots of file synchronization utilities out there, but they concentrate on saved pairs of directories. Most of the time I just want to perform a task once, quickly and with minimal effort.

And I am still using Lotus Smart Suite - version 9.7, but very little has changed since the original in 1996. I can’t stand Microsoft Office, any version - and I’ve been forced to use everything from Word 1.0 to Office 2010 at some point (mostly sorting out other peoples’ problems). Libre Office is tolerable, but I keep going back to Lotus. And yes, it runs fine on Windows 8.1 64-bit. :slight_smile:

Oh ARJ, how i loved and hated thee. I was that kid that managed to put in the max compression with all those bloody command parameters.

The story of Phil Katz (“inventor” of Pkzip) is sooo sooo sad.

When I use to love programming in my earlier days, I regularly used QBasic up until around 1999 when I learned C++. While at primary school in the early 1990s, I use to carry it around on a 5.25" floppy disk as the school computers had GW-Basic and I remember QBasic use to run fine on MS-DOS 4.01. :wink:

Windows CD Player (Windows 95 & 98) was another I regularly used for listening to music CDs on my computer before the MP3 format took off. Remember the days of connecting a S/PDIF wire from the CD-ROM drive to the soundcard to play Audio CDs? :wink:

DoubleSpace was more of a love/hate tool I used - It worked by compressing the entire hard disk and mounting it as a virtual volume which the OS, Windows, etc. all ran off of. It also worked on Floppy Disks, however, they could only be read on other PCs running the same DOS version with the DoubleSpace driver running, e.g. MS DOS 6.22 could not read DoubleSpace volumes created in MS DOS 6.2 or vice versa. While it gave me roughly 50% extra hard disk space, it had serious problems. Drive volumes required a double-defragmentation, first stage to defrag the virtual volume and another stage to rearrange the compressed sectors in continuous order, which took hours. I lost quite a lot of data when a volume went corrupt and could not be mounted.

What do ya mean by old and used to use. Lol

Well, I can remember using each of Arj, Encarta, Netscape Navigator, Getright, Cdrwin & Winamp; Navigator, Getright & Winamp all being outstanding programs for their time. :slight_smile:

Getright was essential back in the days of dial-up internet connections and being charged by the minute. I don’t know if it was the first software to support resuming downloads, but it was the most popular.

I could get about 3KB/sec through my first modem, so downloading a 10MB file took an hour or so. Quite expensive when you’re paying for the phone call by the minute. With Getright I could download in the background while I was browsing the web anyway, limiting the speed if necessary and taking advantage of the fact that most of the time the connection would otherwise be idle.

The largest file I downloaded this was a trial version of CorelDraw. It was about 230MB and took a couple of months to complete!

I still use WinAmp though it’s now ‘crippled’ by lack of GraceNote support. That affects the Auto-Tag and CD identifier functions mostly. It’s still the best (IMO) music manager out there. As to Corel Draw I got pretty good with it but since my last XP system is gone I haven’t used it in a while (my last version is version 5).

I loved Soundstream which was part of roxio burning software but they did away with it. I had a friend that had to go from xp to windows 7 and she hated loosing Soundstream more than anything else. I did find that with roxio 5 I could only load Soundstream part of it and it worked with windows 7 but you get an error when it starts but all you have to do is click ok on the error and the program works. I wish I knew enough to take the software apart and take out only soundstream and updated for window 7

I remeber one download manager called Netscape Smart Download, which came with the imfamous browser (I can’t remember which version). I also remeber using AOL software, although as time went on, I found myself loving AOL Explorer, a small browser that used Internet Explorer as a backend.

As far as burning goes, I’ve never seen a program whose UI can match Sonic RecordNow 7. IDK about other versions, but 7 has the cleanest, simplest interface of any burning program I’ve ever used. Unlike Nero, it only took a few magabytes of disk space, and had low RAM/CPU usage. Too bad it only worked on Windows XP (and probably Windows 9x), as there’s nothing like it (AFAIK) for Vista/7/8/10/whatever will come after 10.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2746760]As far as burning goes, I’ve never seen a program whose UI can match Sonic RecordNow 7. IDK about other versions, but 7 has the cleanest, simplest interface of any burning program I’ve ever used. [/QUOTE]

I liked RecordNow more when it was owned by Veritas…Sonic/Roxio tend to put some eyecandy on their acquisitions,but not really added any useful features to most of those…
As for clean and simple,did you ever try NTI CdMaker @ that time?It was very user friendly…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2746760]Too bad it only worked on Windows XP (and probably Windows 9x), as there’s nothing like it (AFAIK) for Vista/7/8/10/whatever will come after 10.[/QUOTE]

Maybe time to try this 1 out :
http://www.anyburn.com/index.htm
Can’t get anything much easier than AnyBurn…:smiley:

1: ARJ, 2: Wordperfect for DOS, 5: Getright, 7: ICQ - I never used those

3: Encarta: Yes, it was great software, but I did already have a 30-book encyclopedia.
For the younger ones: An “Encyclpedia” is like if someone printed all of Wikipedia and sold it to you for lots of money. :smiley:

4: Netscape Navigator - I actually [I]upgraded[/I] to v1.0 of this after using the original Mosaic browser for a while.

1. Zone Alarm - I remember using it but not for long

2. Corel Draw - I’ve used it but I’ve never been good at graphics work

9: CDRWIN; I used the competitor Adeptec Easy CD Creator (later Roxio Easy CD Creator) instead, back when CD-R cost a small fortune (>$20 apiece here in Denmark).

1. Winamp - Possibly the ugliest little program that I’ve used. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zonealarm was horribly shouty. So keen to tell you what a good job it was doing, you would never have noticed an intruder. :rolleyes:

It lasted about 2 minutes before I invoked GoBack. :bow:

That was a fantastic piece of software, in its Wildfile & Adaptec days. The Roxio version was OK, the Symantec bought it. :a

It was like a whole disc version of System Restore, but with much more control. For example, you could retrieve past versions of individual files. This was revolutionary stuff back in the 20th century.

Finally stopped using it in 2007 after starting from scratch following a HDD failure (unrelated to GoBack).

Wow…

I myself used #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #9, #10

But now I use 7zip for my main compression and unpacking program. I started DOS in the 80’s if anyone remembers this with IBM PS/2 computers along side Apple IIe and later Macs. Now that is really way back using 5 1/4 and 3.5 inch media disk. I started with BasicA then to DOS then to Windows 3.1 up to now Windows 7. Thinking this makes me feel just old… lol…:doh:

As for #2…I also used PC write…which our High School at the time provided for us to type on CGA CRT monitor. Oh yeah and Dot-matrix…was the king then as well. Well that is my nostalgic for ya…

The list is actually grossly unfair… and sometimes merely highlights the author’s cluelessness.

From the most outrageous:
8. CorelDRAW – it is a vector graphics editor, it is still very popular (reportedly especially in the fashion industry) especially for 2 reasons: (1) it is easier to start with for the beginner and (2) it is much cheaper than Adobe Illustrator. I once started with CorelDRAW and I can still swear by it.
Comparing CorelDRAW with Adobe Photoshop and other bitmap editors just highlights the author’s cluelessness. It is like comparing a word processor with a spreadsheet.
By the way, CorelDRAW is still in active development, unlike Adobe Fireworks, which is already abandonware.

1. Winamp - hardly forgotten about; in my opinion, it is still the best player of the non-free/closed-source ones.

2. Getright - I still consider it the best of the non-free/closed source HTTP/FTP downloaders, with probably the best integration with Internet Explorer and Presto-based Opera (out of the box). Even though I admit that it is no longer as popular as it used to be.

3. Netscape Navigator - I would rather say Netscape Communicator - morphed into the Mozilla suite, of which Firefox is a sort of a fork and Seamonkey is the continuation of the original Netscape Communicator.