10 hrs of mp3 on a single cd?

vbimport

Sorry, total noob here. I installed a new car stereo receiver, jvc kd-hdr1, which says it plays both audio cd cd-da as well as mp3 and wma. I thought I had read that one can put up to 10 hrs of music on a single cd. Is that only for an mp3 player like ipod or can I also do that with my car stereo? I’ve been reading about rippers/burners/encoders and am more confused than ever.

Hi and Welcome!

if your car CD player also supports mp3 (and/or wma), then you can indeed put up to 10 hrs of music onto a disc. It’s an mp3 data disc then. Please read the manual of your player. There should be some information about that feature (if present).

Michael

I posted a how to make one of these CD -R discs in the link below.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/mp3-cd-jumpy-car-stereo-242272/#post2030762
Don’t do this on a DVD disc unless you only want it to play on your computer.The DVD settops standalones won’t play a DVD with .mp3s but will play a CD -R made this way.At least DVD players that will play .mp3.This way you can play these CD -R’s through your settop to your home stereo amp.I put this in so you would know there is a way to play this disc somewhere besides a car stero.

Thanks guys, that really helps. More questions tho. I have downloaded and burned music to cd’s mostly at 196 bkps. If is at 128 kbps can I improve the quality by ripping it with eac or cdex, or is it already in a fixed state?

You can increase scan rate, but your quality will stay same as 128. Once encoded at that, that is it.
On the other hand if it is mp3 and you will play it in the car, I do not think you will notice too much difference.

Like in the link I use 192kbps.

It really comes down to basic math. The disk holds 700 MegaBytes. if your data streams at 128 KiloBits per second, that’s 12.8 KiloBytes per second. 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to the hour, well you do the math…FWIW you can fit 1.5 times as much music at 128 Kbps than at 192 Kbps.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2058291]It really comes down to basic math. The disk holds 700 MegaBytes. if your data streams at [B]128 KiloBits per second, that’s 12.8 KiloBytes per second[/B]. 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to the hour, well you do the math…FWIW you can fit 1.5 times as much music at 128 Kbps than at 192 Kbps.[/QUOTE]

Bits and Bytes are not metric. As I understand 8 bits is 1 byte.

To me the 192kbps sounds best to my ears on a car stereo.You see 128kbps & 256 kbps also recomended I guess it’s a matter of preference.Considering a comercial CD in the cdda format uses 1411kbps I think 192kbps is compressed enough.
You might get 3 more albums at 128kbps but I counted the songs one one of mine with 8 albums & it was 126 songs so how many of those do you need to carry in your car?Maybe 3 if your on vacation.I think one would be more than most of us would need for just in town driving.

My bad. I guess math ain’t that simple…'Twas a throwback to dial up modems and Baud vs Bytes (8 bit RS232 typically had a check and or parity bit, making it approx. 10 to a byte)…:flower:

[QUOTE=cholla;2058550]To me the 192kbps sounds best to my ears on a car stereo.You see 128kbps & 256 kbps also recomended I guess it’s a matter of preference.Considering a comercial CD in the cdda format uses 1411kbps I think 192kbps is compressed enough.
You might get 3 more albums at 128kbps but I counted the songs one one of mine with 8 albums & it was 126 songs so how many of those do you need to carry in your car?Maybe 3 if your on vacation.I think one would be more than most of us would need for just in town driving.[/QUOTE]

It is OK what you say, but what OP was asking if a file recorded at 128 kbs will improve if re recorded at 192 kbs.
There I say NO, once fidelity is gone, than you cannot get it back.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2058568]It is OK what you say, but what OP was asking if a file recorded at 128 kbs will improve if re recorded at 192 kbs.
There I say NO, once fidelity is gone, than you cannot get it back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no point in going from 128 to 192kbs,unless you want a bigger file size…
And IMO, I doubt you can tell/hear the diff between the two (mp3), but if you can then whatever works for ya…JMHO!..

I agree if the file is already 128kbps then that would be the best that could be done.
In the same post jammenz said most were at 196kbps. I would be guessing but that should probably have been 192kbps.So he could do those at 192.
For me the ones I have done are backups of commercial music CD’s .