10+ burners dead, need an expert!

vbimport

Hi there, my burners have been steadily dying after less than 100 burns on each one (dual layer burned at 4x, TDK (dont know code) Verbatim, HP (CMC MAG)). I usually run 3 burners stacked ontop of eachother without breaks, with 3 instances of imgburn. The burners themselves don’t get hot.

I’m getting tired of throwing burners in the trash, I think some people burn thousands of discs with their burners and I want to do that too. Just wondering if this is a common problem and if there is an obvious solution.

Things I am thinking might be causing problems
-Voltage drops (how can I test for this exactly?)
-Noise on the AC line
-Insufficient power from the PSU (doubtful because this happens on my 450W OCZ modstream with 3 drives)
-Dirty laser
-Diode burning out (Can I order a replacement laser?)

Is there anything I can do to attempt to fix these drives? They work perfect first but are degrading over time so I assume that can only be the laser not the logic board.

My other probably unrelated issues:
-Imgburn complains about SPTD drivers from Daemon Tools
-Each time a lead in, lead out or layer break occurs, the computer freezes for 20 seconds.
-If I’m burning an ISO from a SATA hard drive, it seems I can’t really do more than one burn at the same time, the buffer drops to nothing immediately every time. If I burn from USB HDD, i can do 6 at once no problem (3 locally and 3 on another computer over SMB, 1 usb hdd each)

Burning 3 instances of the software to 3 drives at the same time might be causing a lot of read buffer under-runs if the source is the same HDD for all 3.

It’s possible that such a situation could generate added wear on the drives. Also good to note that burning more than a few discs in a row in one burner always results in extra heat.

DVD ripping is generally the most wear-inducing activity for a drive, especially at high speeds. The notion of a marginal power supply is a possibility, and there’s only one way to rule that one out.

Most of the new SATA-3 (6GB/sec) HDDs are significantly faster in sustained transfers and multitasking than HDDs sold even a couple years ago, so an upgrade of the source HDD might help.

Buffer underrun is not an issue so long as the ISOs are sourced from USB (much less bandwidth than SATA). It only becomes a problem when I try to source them from SATA, probably due to bad drivers or bad controller design.

I’m burning, not ripping.

If anyone has any clue about replacing the laser assemblies on standard DVD writers let me know.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=flyingpants;2608604]If anyone has any clue about replacing the laser assemblies on standard DVD writers let me know.
[/QUOTE]

It’s not really economically viable doing that as DVD writers are so cheap now.

[B]Wombler[/B]

"I usually run 3 burners stacked ontop of eachother without breaks"
Dvd burners DO HAVE a duty cycle as does a electric welders, bread toasters, car starters and a lot more electrical devices. Example: my car battery charger. when used as a booster for starting, is 5 second and rest for 2 minutes.
Check the duty cycle for DVD burners and adhere to it. That will probably fix the problem with the burner failing on you.

So can anyone help me out? Or am I stuck buying a new burner every 100 discs? BTW just had another one die and this one was not used at the same time as others.

How many discs can you expect to burn with a single burner? 100? 500?

Have you considered to at least try another, known-good PSU? Even a brand new one can be defective and cause trouble. My Optiarc AD7200A does not properly detect inserted media if there are problems with the power supply (in that case, it was an external enclosure).

Michael

Happening on 2 computers, so 2 PSUs.

The problem is either:
Hardware: heat, dust, bad AC power, or 2 bad PSUs.
Software: Possibly the burning program or the firmware using bad ‘power calibration’ data?

How many discs can you expect to burn with a single burner? 100? 500?

[QUOTE=flyingpants;2614636]Happening on 2 computers, so 2 PSUs.

The problem is either:
Hardware: heat, dust, bad AC power, or 2 bad PSUs.
Software: Possibly the burning program or the firmware using bad ‘power calibration’ data?

[B]How many discs can you expect to burn with a single burner[/B]? 100? 500?[/QUOTE]

an old Thread I followed some time ago :flower:

Do you try the same brand of drive each time, or do you get something different? And what have you tried?

Also, do you exclusively burn DL media, or do you write a mixture of SL and DL media? That was a little unclear to me.

I’m assuming you’ve completely verified that you’ve eliminated buffer underruns, too, to help reduce stress. (Just making sure that burning from USB was really working for you, since most setups I’ve seen struggled with such a thing at moderate to high speeds).

And you may just have to adjust your usage pattern to put less stress on the drives. Insert extended breaks between burns, etc.

I don’t do multiple burns & I let my burner cool 15 minutes between burns & usually more. That’s because I seldom work with more than one movie. My old Lite-on has over 500 burns & still works well. Except for the cheaply made drawer opener pulleys.

Something is very very wrong, if you consistently have your burners fail at <100 burns.

My old NEC ND-2510A (mfg October 2004) has done >1000 burns and it’s still going strong. It has problems reading some dvd’s, but as I recall it wasn’t too good of a reader when it was new.

I don’t know your computers specs, so I cannot know about the power supply being sufficient. I have little doubts about that, though… My machine is 4400+ x2, 4gb ram, 8400gs gpu, 2 TV cards, 4 HDD and 2 dvd-burners. All powered with a noname 350W PSU.

Do you do back-to-back burns a lot? Your burners will fail, if you burn discs for hours straight. And you didn’t specify just how the burners fail. Cannot read discs, cannot burn discs, totally dead, doesn’t recognize in BIOS etc. If so, what error do you get and so on.

Manufacturers generally rate their burners at approx. 20% read duty cycle or 2% write duty cycle. MTTR(mean time to recover) is generally around 30 minutes. You don’t realize just how profoundly you are overheating the laser/circuitry of those drives. This is especially true as you are burning DL’s. They require approx. 50% more laser power than SL DVD+R’s in writing. Good duplication towers overcome these limitations to deliver decent drive longevity with a serious level of fan cooling.
What are these “stacked” drives installed in? Why don’t you trust Imgburn and get that driver out of it’s way? Lead in/out layer change grief is often caused by marginal quality media. Are these problems identical w/ Verbatims and the others you are using?
You should certainly expect far more than 100 burns. You will probably need to adjust your thinking regarding the heat issue to make that happen. More cooling or more burners with a minimum 15 minute rest between burns.
What burner model are you using?

Crap PSUs and interferences coming from the power network can produce such a mess.