1 pc 2 os's?

I want to combine 2 pc’s into one. I have a abit kt7a-raid mobo w harddrive running win xp. what i want to do is take my harddrive out of other pc (with win98se on it) and install it into main pc. Is it possible to choose which harddrive/os to boot up at power on?

I fully unsterstand drivers and hardware setup. my problem is simply choosing which os/hardrive to boot to during startup.
I can install 8 total ide drives on 1 mobo.
Here is what I have:

1 hdd with win xp (already hooked to ide 1 master)
1 hdd with win 98se
1 sony dru-500a
1 lite-on cd-rw 40125s
1 lite-on dvd ltd-163d
1 toshiba dvd m1302
1 iomega zip250 ide
1 plex cd-rw w1610a (old reliable)

Yes.

This can easily be accomplished with PowerQuest Bootmagic.

I use LILO or Grub (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/)

I prefer Grub cause Grub GUI is better than LILO :slight_smile:

and it’s GNU,it’s FREE :stuck_out_tongue:

edit

grammar
/edit :frowning:

I think it can be done by only changing the boot order in bios setup to boot from the drive with the os you want to use. Never tested though.

Or an even better solution IMO is to use the bult in xp boot manager.
First go to the root of the xp drive and make a backup of the boot.ini file if you can’t find it. In the explorer window on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
Clear Hide protected operating system files.
Click OK.

after you’ve made a backup of the file open it and you will see a line similar to this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition” /fastdetect /HAL=halaacpi.dll

under [Operating Systems]

add a line like this

multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition”

if this doesn’t work try different nubers after multi for example 2 or 3

if you dont feel that you know exactly what you’re doing and are afraid you’ll screw something up i recomend making a boot disk first because if the system cant read the boot.ini it can’t boot at all

link to microsoft kb article

Thank you, now that was very useful info. I ordered powerquest w/boot magic. I will research your info thou. Thank You again

Be aware that under normal circumstances you’re usually better off installing Win 98 first, then XP. And as you’d already noted the changing of the chipset drivers could also make it difficult. Good luck anyway!