I have a CD burning problem.
I’m using Nero 6 Ultra in W2K.
I’m making an ISO disc.
I want it to contain 3 folders each of which contains several MP3 files.
It went through successfully with all three folders accessible.
I didn’t select to allow long file names.
Nero truncated them.
I selected in Nero to allow file names of more than 64 characters.
The first two folders burned successfully.
The third folder’s files returned error messages that the path was not valid or accessible.
I do have the folder open in filemanager as well as accessed in Nero.
I was sure to close Nero and reopen it to drag the folders over after I made any changes to the original folder.
However, I don’t think that is neccessary.
The burn did complete successfully.
The first two folders were accessible.
The third folder was corrupted or inaccessible.
3rd Burn (Actually a simulation, NOT a burn)
I noticed where nero truncated file names even with the longer than 64 charachter option checked and shortened the originals to that length or shorter.
The simulation ran successfully.
Note the first 2 coasters did burn “successfully” (complete) but with a corrupted 3rd folder.
I think the simulation just reported that it would finish a burn but that doesn’t mean the 3rd folder will be accessible.
4th & 5th Burns
I moved the folder from my desktop to my root directory.
I thought, perhaps, there were too many subdirectories for Nero to access the file.
It shouldn’t be too many since all 3 folders are contained in the same folder.
If it can find the first 2, it should find the 3rd.
I enabled long file names of more than 64 characters.
I don’t think I enabled use of directory structures more than 8 levels.
If it can find the first 2 folders in the same sub-folder, shouldn’t it be able to find the 3rd in the same folder???
It produced the same result.
The burn completed. The first 2 folders are accessible. The 3rd folder is not accessible.
I did NOT get the error messages in Nero that the file paths of files in the 3rd foldeer were inaccessible durring burning after I moved the originals folder to my root directory.
I also selected the option to allow more than 8 directory levels in file paths.
NOTE that the FIRST burn WITHOUT the longer than 64 character option selected had truncated filenames but DID allow access to all 3 folders on the burned disc.
Could I just be getting several BAD media in a row in the bottom 3rd of this CD spindle?
Is there some odd concoction of settings I have to find through trial and error?
I had a different file name issue long ago without sub-folders where I learned to limit filenames to 101 characters. Files with longer names would be excluded from the burn by Nero.
The 3rd folder is labled with 2 words separated by a <Space>.
I replaced the <Space> with an underscore but got no better results.
I noticed that Nero doesn’t like the ampersand character “&”.
It replaces it with an underscore “_” in Nero’s filemanager window.
However, on the burned disc, the “&” is displayed properly.
Note the properties of all discs accurately showed 514MB.
Note that I did not get ANY error messages on the last two burns but the third folder was still NOT accessible or corrupted.
The first burn without long filename support and with the original files stored on my desktop rather than the root directory AND WITHOUT more than 8 sublevel support for path names DID burn an accessible 3rd folder.