1 million copy-protected CDs released

vbimport

I just posted the article 1 million copy-protected CDs released.

The Israeli security company Midbar said Wednesday that it has already released 1 million copy-protected CDs in the European market. The copy protection is called Cactus Data Shield, which we…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2292-1-million-copy-protected-CDs-released.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2292-1-million-copy-protected-CDs-released.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t get it… Cactus Data Shield is a rather old copy protection for audio CDs that failed to break through before. Probably because there were issues with certain audio CD-players. Cactus Data Shield uses an illegal TOC (table of contents) to fool CD-ROMs. However, it has been proven in the past that it can be copied with Plextor hardware and CloneCD (possibly also other software but I don’t have such a protected CD over here). Here’s the link to an article at CDRInfo.com about Cactus Data Shield Quote from that article:

Does it work in real life? Nope with Plextor drives! You can read such CDs and with CloneCD you can additional remove the Cactus protection from the protected AudioCD. For the rest CD-Roms the Cactus protection will work just fine…
So why now suddenly all the fuss about this ‘old’ protection that’s proven to be not working? At least for Plextor owners… :stuck_out_tongue:

CD’s can never be copy protected. As long as you can get a signal to your speakers and music comes out, you can send the same signal to an aduio input on your computer or stereo. A speaker is just a magnet that projects the signal. These company’s are only keeping you from doing a high speed dub directly.

First of all, why do they bother? They can’t stop people from making recordings, there’s always a way around it! Question: Do they not realize just how easy it is to connect a home CD player to your sound card? It seems that they will simply keep putting money into protective features… I believe this will raise the price of music CD’s to the point where people will consider not buying them. I suppose they will then blame others for their situation. If music CD’s were less costly, more people would just buy them and avoid the whole issue! It also seems like much of the loss of CD sales is not because of piracy, but from music that’s not worth buying! Think about it.

The one positive side to this copy protection mess is that the Record companies will have to spend heavily on these technologies. Hopefully these expenses coupled with legal fees and the inevitable drop in revenues from cd sales will hurt their pockets to the point where they will stop the nonsense.

What happen to the right to make a backup? Even the new Digital Millenium Copyright laws allows you to do this. Specially on Audio CD’s I scratched them all the time in the car. It sucks :r They are all blood sucking shysters(sp)! They can’t survive without having their 2nd porche…

chadt, The way you mentioned is a good idea, but for many people they know it’s analog not digital.

Problem is that the average joe burner dosen’t know anything about bypassing protections… especially ones that aren’t as simple as using a more advanced burning program. So the “joe” is left outside and not able to backup/convert to mp3 their new cd’s. This is where the protection will fail. :slight_smile:

Haven’t all those hackers out there proven it already??There is no way to stop cd ripping!looks like you’ll have to find a new music format that u can rip people off with better.:d

@nuke001, I know exactly what you mean. I’m currious about that too. How on earth are they going to allow us to copy our own CD’s for private use if the copyprotections are there to prevent just that??

OK, here’s a question. The DMCA apparently states that you are able to make a copy of something provided it is for your own usage. However, both VHS and DVDs use Macrovision to protect against duplication, even though it is our right to do it. So far, audio is easy to copy, video isn’t, but surely they both fall under the same category - entertainment media. My question is…video is already copy protected and look at how many people complain about that. Protecting Audio is the next logical step and yet people ARE complaining about this. Where is the distinction drawn?

The weird thing with this Cactus Data Shield is that there are 2 versions… CDS100 & CDS200. The link mentioned above clearly describes CDS100, which can be copied. But earlier this week there were reports about CDS with a technique analog to SafeAudio (inserting noise to the music data). Is this CDS200? What technology did they use on those million cd’s released in Europe? Anybody seen a CDS cd with the added noise?

Here’s the deal: Napster was killed off by it’s own success. It was just too easy to d/l music illegally. With Napster out of the way the controversy has lost it’s momentum, the RIAA have made their point, and now we can go back to our original methods. The only difference is that Joe Burner isn’t going to find it quite so easy as before. And this is the nub of the matter: EASE. These days it’s just too easy to duplicate an audio CD for illegal purposes. Not so with a DVD, and how many people do you see complaining that they can’t backup X-Men? I have, on many occasions, downloaded an entire album of the net to replace an original that I accidentally destroyed. If they go through with AudioCD copy protection then that justifies me spending more time downloading off the internet. If they expect ME to pay for the development of this protection system by raising CD prices, then this justifies me to take whatever steps are necessary to get more value for my money; so I buy a single or two and augment the rest of the album via the internet. At the end of the day we will just continue as we have been, the only difference is that there will be less of us doing it.

Many Cd players now have a digital out maybe this way will also bypass the protection if your soundcard has a digital in.