1 core hotter than rest on my quadcore CPU

vbimport

Since recently I have Intel Core i5 3570k on ASrock Z77 Pro 4. I notice 1 core is warmer than other cores. Core 1, 2, 4 are 32C and Core 3 is 48C.
THis happens on multiple occasions, when I check. System runs fine, but I think this is strange or is this normal?

It’s normal for one core to be hotter than the other but that’s a little high. Check to make sure your cooler is tight. If you are using stock cooler change that thing to a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or Hyper 212. The stock Intel coolers suck!

Most likely this is due to a bad thermal diode in that core. The cores are so close together on the new process that it is highly unlikely due to the cpu cooler or the IHS. So that means its most likely running very close to the temp of the other cores. :slight_smile:

I have a 3570K on Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP motherboard and that doesn’t sound normal.

I have 980x 6 core and it gives same result in OpenHardwareMonitor
AMD systems stay very close to even. Could be sensor issue on Intel?

[QUOTE=SubZero;2650557]I have 980x 6 core and it gives same result in OpenHardwareMonitor
AMD systems stay very close to even. Could be sensor issue on Intel?[/QUOTE]
probably

Still, I would try to a) update bios (can be bios issue too) b) recheck the heatsink and apply good theremal paste on it, after cleaning.

Just to be safe, although 48°C is nothing. What are the temps under serious load?

It’s normal for one core to be hotter than the other. Just such an instance…

No its not. Never seen that huge a difference between 1 core and the other cores. As stated before the core either has a defective temperature sensor or the heatsink isn’t seated properly/thermal paste wasn’t properly applied.