Old 20-05-2009   #1
Retired Senior Administrator and Review Coordinator USA

Opti Drive Control -- by Erik Deppe

Greetings!

Nero CD-DVD Speed has been discontinued and Nero DiscSpeed is no longer available as a free standalone program (it's only available with Nero). All Nero Toolkit software is going to be removed from the cdspeed2000.com website.

But the good news is, there is a new tool in town called Opti Drive Control authored by our own Erik Deppe. (http://www.optidrivecontrol.com)

The tool has similar functionality but is more accurate and will be updated regularly. There are still some functions missing but they will be added in later versions.

PS: Opti Drive Control is not a freeware. However, we have been using CDSpeed/DiscSpeed for a very long time and Erik has tremendously support us cdfreaks members with his disc quality scanning tool over the years so I'd like to urge everyone to try ODC (30 days trial) and report issues, suggestions and comments in this thread. Thanks!
Attached Images

Join CDFreaks Distributed Computing Team, have fun while helping to save some lives!

My review PC & Specs & Media
Blu-ray to DVD guide

Forum Rules | Blu-ray UDF Driver
BenQ/Philips FAQ and tools: BQFlasher, MCSE, WOPC Tool, WinDWFlash

LG BE06LU11 Blu-ray | LG GGW-H10N Blu-ray/HD-DVD | LG GBW-H10N Blu-ray | Panasonic SW-5582 Blu-ray

Last edited by zevia; 20-05-2009 at 00:25.
zevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Opti Drive Control -- by Erik Deppe

In what way is the new tool "more accurate" ?

Does it or will it support disc quality scanning on true Plextor drives?

BTW I consider the removal of already released free tools to be really bad news!

EDIT: There is no information on the Opti Drive Control site on whether payment covers only the exisiting version, all 1.x versions, or all future versions. I consider such information important.
Old 20-05-2009   #3
Retired Moderator

Judging by the downloadable manual, there is nothing like the Advanced Disc Quality scanning for DVD media available in CDSpeed/DiscSpeed - only for CD media.

I haven't had time to test the tool itself yet.
Old 20-05-2009   #4
Senior Moderator

Version number should be 0.1.0 or something like that.
Scanning a DVD with my Benq is causing 100% CPU load - I can hardly move the mouse
No advanced DVD scanning options available for the Benq here.

CD scanning looks nice (advanced with Benq), system stays responsive.
Name:  CD_Bler_%A.png
Views: 3367
Size:  38.8 KB

On a German Windows NT5.0, the files are stored in "Eigene_Dateien" instead of "Eigene Dateien" (which is the default documents folder)
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

As Drage already mentioned - what does the payment cover? Major updates or is it a lifetime payment? And I hope Erik gives discounts for freaks like us...

I also do hope that there will be better functions for this utility than the used-to-be-freeware Nero CD/DVD/DiscSpeed to justify the cost (and yes, Sanyo Plextor scanning support will be a great bonus).
In use: Optiarc AD-7200S (1.09bt) • Samsung SH-S203N (SB02) • LG GSA-H62N (CL01) • LiteOn iHAS220 (8LC2) • Sony DRX-810UL <-> BenQ EW164B (BEFB) • 3x BenQ DW1640 (BSLB/BSRB/BEFB) • 2x LiteOn LTR-52327S (QS0E/QS5A) • Plextor PX-W2410A (1.04) • Plextor PX-716UF (1.11) • Plextor Premium-U (1.06)

I feed my Canon MP610 with MCC 02RG20 & MCC 03RG20
Still wanting a: SATA Sanyo Plextor DVD±RW, Yamaha CRW-F1, well-performing USB/FW 5.25" Enclosures (like MaPower H51)
Interested but not dying to get a: Optiarc AD-7240S, Plextor Premium 2, BenQ DW1650/1655, Pioneer DVR-217, BD-RE drive
evo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009   #6
MyCE Resident

Here we go again testing another disc program.
Old 20-05-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

I stand corrected - the program does allow for Sanyo Plextors scanning but in the CD Bler test Jitter wasn't reported at all. The C1 errors reported are also really low - I haven't tested this disc previously but this is the lowest error rates I've seen from a non-TY disc.

Here's a cheap local CD (with a Sony MID - the closest I had at hand) to test the features out. Next up is a previously burned DVD.
Attached Images

In use: Optiarc AD-7200S (1.09bt) • Samsung SH-S203N (SB02) • LG GSA-H62N (CL01) • LiteOn iHAS220 (8LC2) • Sony DRX-810UL <-> BenQ EW164B (BEFB) • 3x BenQ DW1640 (BSLB/BSRB/BEFB) • 2x LiteOn LTR-52327S (QS0E/QS5A) • Plextor PX-W2410A (1.04) • Plextor PX-716UF (1.11) • Plextor Premium-U (1.06)

Still wanting a: SATA Sanyo Plextor DVD±RW, Yamaha CRW-F1, well-performing USB/FW 5.25" Enclosures (like MaPower H51)
Interested but not dying to get a: Optiarc AD-7240S, Plextor Premium 2, BenQ DW1650/1655, Pioneer DVR-217, BD-RE drive
Old 20-05-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

Observations:

MID info:
CD MIDs are displayed with my LG writer, DVD MIDs are not (both Verbatim MCC004 & T03) ImgBurn has no problem for both disc types.

TRTs with DVD Video disc worked.
TRT with VideoCD did not (Yuden CDR) (got error code 256400)

Will keep plugging away though.
Old 20-05-2009   #9
MyCE Resident

DVD scanning with my PX-716UF and VMWare Fusion doesn't complete - the application crashes just before the screenshot is automatically saved. Time for another test run...

Old 20-05-2009   #10
MyCE Resident

Some nice new features in there. Multiple tests and auto file saving looks good to me.
Pioneer DVR-217F
Optiarc AD-7200S
BenQ 1650 (USB)

On the Shelf - Pioneer DVR-216L, Pioneer DVR-215L, Plextor PX760A (Very sick!), BenQ 1650, Lite-On 160P6S, Lite-On 20A3P, Lite-On iHAS422, Optiarc 7170S, Samsung SH-W162C
jubjubbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009   #11
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uSerKey View Post

Here we go again testing another disc program.
Well, testing ends after 30 days.
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009   #12
Retired Senior Administrator

Excellent, a new tool to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
...Scanning a DVD with my Benq is causing 100% CPU load - I can hardly move the mouse ...
Same here with a slim LiteOn doing a quality scan. This would have to be fixed before I could even think about using this tool.

Also the graph colors are not to my liking. Some choices would be nice.
C0deKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009   #13
MyCE Resident

Using the DVD scanning with any drive (LiteOn/BenQ/Plextor/etc) causes 100% CPU usage. The CD scanning works well though, although as I reported before Jitter doesn't work with a Premium-U which is kinda sad.

Old 21-05-2009   #14
MyCE Resident

I just got a reply from Erik which is helpful in answering a few queries about this program - it seems like 1.10 is just around the corner (in a few days) which fixes the 100% CPU usage bug, and that he's working on DC Jitter to work on Plextor drives.

To directly quote his reply regarding the license:

Code:
The license covers one year of free upgrades (regardless of the version) 
and/or all minor upgrades (ie. 1.xx).
...which I would've wanted to be a bit longer because it's $25/€20, but I really can't complain since he's putting a lot of work into this.

Can't wait to see how the application matures.

Old 21-05-2009   #15
Retired Senior Administrator

Opti Drive doesn't seem to always burn at the speed selected and it's not the drive dropping back, as the 7200 seldom does that.

One burn started at 4x and when I pressed stop, the drive just keep on spinning, with the light on (stop button grayed), but when I pressed eject, the disc ejected, and Opti Drive crashed with a GPF.
C0deKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009   #16
Administrator and Reviewer

I would also like to say that cd scan has a few issues, i selected 48x with my 7240S and the scan was done at 4x.
Old 21-05-2009   #17
CD Freaks Senior Member

I can't say that I'm very happy about the discontinuation of CD-Speed, although it was to be expected. There haven't been new versions of CD-Speed for a while and Nero is becoming increasingly strange.

I haven't had time to try OptiDrive yet- maybe this weekend. From a quick look at the manual, there are some things that I like ( possibility to save results as a csv file, additional info on hours of use). However, the option to use an iso or nrg file for a test disc seems to be gone and we'll have to see if it's able to read recording information (drive and speed trace) from CD-Speed discs.

And by the by, Erik has outed himself as the author of Plextools! (see the banner on his new site).

G
Attached Images

MediumRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumRare View Post
There haven't been new versions of CD-Speed for a while and Nero is becoming increasingly strange.
I purchased Nero v6 a while back (obviously). But I haven't bothered to install it for a while as I haven't really felt a need to use any of the functions in Nero. Other apps have worked "well enough" for me.

But out of curiousity I downloaded and installed the trial version of Nero 9. GOOD GRAVY! Longest install time of any app I've run across! EVER!

Yes, strange. Very strange.

Quote:
And by the by, Erik has outed himself as the author of Plextools! (see the banner on his new site).
I've primarily been using the last version of Plextools that I know of (Professional LE v3.13, right?) in spite of a number of annoying bugs in it.

I'm not trying to point any fingers at Erik as I'm of the opinion that the reason those bugs are still there is probably because Plextor apparently abandoned Plextools ... probably as a "cost saving" measure.

Plextor IMO has also turned very strange.

Buuuuuuut .... yes I think I'd be willing to pay something for a non-buggy equivalent of Plextools. Especially if it extended support to future versions of Windows or ... be still my heart! ... other, alternative operating systems.

More to the current point, I think I'd be willing to pay for Opti Drive Control as soon as it does something more for me than the current tools I'm still using.

But for now I think I'll hold off on paying until I can at least change the window size of the app. The "1 year support period" is also a reason to wait IMO. The earlier I hand over my money the sooner I find myself having to hand over more money to get an update/bug fix.

Just my personal two cents FWIW ...

-irrational john

P.S. Is there an explanation which I could be pointed to as to why the Disc Quality function is "not supported" for my Plextor PX-760A? Speaking from the uninformed bleachers, I naively expected that when I paid more to get a Plextor I'd be able to do more with it. So it's pretty surprising to find out I have to switch to my Sony Optiarc AD-7240S to run a test function.
zjohnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009   #19
MyCE Resident

Quote:
I can't say that I'm very happy about the discontinuation of CD-Speed, although it was to be expected.
Ditto.

Quote:
However, the option to use an iso or nrg file for a test disc seems to be gone and we'll have to see if it's able to read recording information (drive and speed trace) from CD-Speed discs.
I was also looking for that "function" - I sometimes use CD-DVD Speed to test batches with prepared ISOs so as to minimize disc wastage. The program does recognize the drive used to burn the disc with (using the Disc Info tab), but the "speed trace" made by CD-DVD Speed can't be utilized by Opti 1.00 under the Disc Quality test.

Last edited by evo69; 21-05-2009 at 22:25.
Old 21-05-2009   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjohnr View Post
I've primarily been using the last version of Plextools that I know of (Professional LE v3.13, right?) in spite of a number of annoying bugs in it.
I think 3.16 is the latest/last PlexTools XL version.

Quote:
Buuuuuuut .... yes I think I'd be willing to pay something for a non-buggy equivalent of Plextools. Especially if it extended support to future versions of Windows or ... be still my heart! ... other, alternative operating systems.
I've been wanting a Mac OS optical disc utility for quite some time now, but fortunately I have VMWare to take care of that since there are no alternatives. It would be sweet though to have it run native, even under Linux if it's possible.

Quote:
More to the current point, I think I'd be willing to pay for Opti Drive Control as soon as it does something more for me than the current tools I'm still using.
It's supposed to do more, but it's still in its infancy. There's no assurance though that more features will be added - there's only so much you could do with optical drives anyway.

Quote:
But for now I think I'll hold off on paying until I can at least change the window size of the app. The "1 year support period" is also a reason to wait IMO. The earlier I hand over my money the sooner I find myself having to hand over more money to get an update/bug fix.
Just wait a bit, good things come to those who wait...

Quote:
P.S. Is there an explanation which I could be pointed to as to why the Disc Quality function is "not supported" for my Plextor PX-760A?
It's buggy! Erik's still quashing those bugs and working on making Plextor-centric features to function correctly. If you read a few posts up I also had the same problem with Jitter reporting and crashes.

Quote:
Speaking from the uninformed bleachers, I naively expected that when I paid more to get a Plextor I'd be able to do more with it.
If you wanna do more with it use PlexTools. Opti Drive Control won't encompass the myriad of functions PlexTools has - it's more of a CD-DVD Speed replacement with Plextor compatibility.

Old 21-05-2009   #21
MyCE Resident

Ugh, Opti needs some customized colors, or at least a better color scheme. I can't even see the buffer levels in the write graph.
Attached Images

Old 21-05-2009   #22
Retired Moderator

Opti Drive Control 1.00 doesn't seem to support DVD Disc Quality scanning on my main scanning drive, a LiteOn SHM-165P6S (MS0R): Drive does not support this function
Old 21-05-2009   #23
MyCE Resident

Here's what a bad disc looks like using Opti. Notice how the program identifies the selected speed of the burn - I like.
Attached Images

Old 21-05-2009   #24
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
Opti Drive Control 1.00 doesn't seem to support DVD Disc Quality scanning on my main scanning drive, a LiteOn SHM-165P6S (MS0R): Drive does not support this function
That sucks! People will be expecting a lot of bug fixes in the next update I'm sure of that!

Old 21-05-2009   #25
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where

Maybe when you buy it the bugs go away and the options become available

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote