Old 24-06-2004   #251
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: The Big KProbe2 Thread

A question that I have not seen asked or gone over.

How important is the "Total Cnt." for PI and PO? These numbers vary tremendously with the many posts that I have seen. Is lower better? Again....I have not seen this mentioned at all.
Pinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004   #252
CD Freaks Senior Member

Note these 3 examples please. All were done with RicohJPNRO2 4x disks. all three were burned on my 811. The GSOA was a reading of the same disk with HSOK, but read on my 851.

Interpretations please. Advise. Which is the best?

I have read that sticking with one burner to do all of your reading with is best. I can see why, what with the two big variables above.

Thanks to all.
Attached Images

Old 24-06-2004   #253
VAD
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinan

How important is the "Total Cnt." for PI and PO? These numbers vary tremendously with the many posts that I have seen. Is lower better? Again....I have not seen this mentioned at all.
The lower the better, of course. However, the average count is more informative, because the size (GB) of the burn may vary, and consequently the total count goes up. I'll explain on example
Disc 1 3.75 Gb Avg=3.5 Total=50,000
Disc 2 4.36 Gb Avg=3.0 Total=65,000

As for your scans, the bottom one looks better than the others. What would you like to know? Which burner to use for scanning? Use the one that gives you more consistent results. I'd go with 851s. BTW, for this drive you can upgrade your fw to GSC2 from Codeguys.

SOHW-812s CG3B AB | LDW-451s@851s GSC2 (out of reach)
VAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004   #254
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAD
1. The lower the better, of course. However, the average count is more informative, because the size (GB) of the burn may vary, and consequently the total count goes up.

2. As for your scans, the bottom one looks better than the others.
Thanks for the quick reply VAD. I appreciate it.

1. Lower is better I understand, but was surprised not to see it mentioned. I mean, I've seen posters state "great scan" when PI is in the millions!

Size wize I get too.

2. Yeah. The bottom one is a lot better. But the same disk as the upper right one.(?) I know that it's been mentioned, but why so much of a variance from drive to drive? I mean jeesh.

So I should perhaps stick with the 851 for steady reading, even though it reads so much lower errors than the 811? If so, OK.

Between firmwares, HSOQ and HSOK seem very close, perhaps slightly better with HSOQ.

Thanks again
Old 24-06-2004   #255
Retired Moderator

Neither total or average counts are particularly relavant except for comparisons. Max count and the general appearance of the curve is more informative. In other words, a disc with a total count of 200,000 is not necessarily any harder to read than one with 20,000, as long as the max count is within the specs. Other factors can also influence the total counts, such as sampling rate.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004   #256
CD Freaks Senior Member

Here are the final two of all three firmwares burned on the 811, but read on the 851 (other one above). Which one would you (anyone) choose to use in the 811?

Thanks to you also rdgrimes for the assistance. That helped a lot.
Attached Images

Old 24-06-2004   #257
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinan

for readability maybe not but i would say a very low error count would be a good indicator of high quality media..ie all my good prodiscs, TYs, and mccs have low total Po counts..usually under 1000.
16x: Pioneer DVR-108, Benq DW-1620A, Benq DW1655, NEC ND3500A, Plextor PX-716A, LG LG4163, Liteon SOHW-1693, NEC 4550, Pioneer DVR-111D
18x: Plextor 760A
Jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004   #258
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamos
. . .have low total Po counts..usually under 1000.
Like the ones I posted then, around 250? Good. I have gathered that PI is not as important.(?) What do you think of the 3 latter ones that I posted above? Which firmware looks best?

Thanks Jamos, and to all.
Old 25-06-2004   #259
CD Freaks Member

I'd take the right one. Same PO-Count but much less PI-Count.
Yes PO-Max is a tiny little bit higher but still ok.
KillMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004   #260
CD Freaks Senior Member

Thanks for that. But what about the bottom one of the three above (four posts above that one)? It looks very good too. It's actually between these particular too that I'm having a tug of war.
Old 26-06-2004   #261
CDFreaks Resident

How did this slip under the CDRLabs and CD Freaks radar?
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=70454
"You don't have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when your own ox is being gored. You do have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when the government tries to censor the speech of those who are goring your ox." -Alan M. Dershowitz

LiteOn Stuff: LiteOn F.A.Q. | OmniPatcher | DVD-Writer Overview | Changing Write Strategies | Crossflashing | XFlash Utility
General Stuff: DVD-Writer F.A.Q. | Rules of the Optical Drive Forums | Attaching Scans | The rpc1.org Firmware Database
Code Guys: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/ | send us e-mail

I Use: Firefox + QuickDrag + NoRedirect + URL Flipper | Winamp | CmdOpen Shell Extension | HashCheck Shell Extension
C64K: My Travel Photos | In Retirement...
code65536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004   #262
CD Freaks Member

> some cosmetic changes, ex. PO -> PIF
Finally. No more confusion.

@Pinan
>But what about the bottom one of the three above
Ok. Then for gods sake takes this one. It will be fine.
Do you always have such a hard time when needing to make a decision?
They would both do fine, and you can hardly tell any difference...
Take the one of those 2 that is the most recent one.
KillMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004   #263
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by code65536
How did this slip under the CDRLabs and CD Freaks radar?
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=70454
I don't think we will offer this for download until we can confirm the source of the file.
Old 26-06-2004   #264
CD Freaks Member

Yeah, I was a little surprised by this as well. I've been gone all day so I haven't had a chance to ask Karr about it yet.
Old 26-06-2004   #265
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillMe
Ok. Then for gods sake takes this one. It will be fine.
Do you always have such a hard time when needing to make a decision?
Being anal is a "quality" of mine. Sorry to get on your nerves. I'm unfamiliar with this test and was only seeking guidance, as I have given for several years and 20K posts elsewhere.

Thanks for the note.
Old 26-06-2004   #266
Retired Moderator

I see Ian is walking on the dark side tonight.

Version 2.2.2 appears legit. Updated opening post - tutorial with the new file.
Old 26-06-2004   #267
MyCE Junior Member

I'm using the Lite-On DVD - Reader for Kprobe scans.
Model : SOHD:167T.
I've read some users said that the scans on a Reader is unreliable compared with the scans of writer.
Question Is, How unreliable.? , i mean does it give higher values, or does it gives lower values, or mixed values.

Thanks in Advances.
RoamingHawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004   #268
Retired Moderator

Please read this thread and in particular, this post
Old 28-06-2004   #269
CDFreaks Resident

fyi 2.2.2 seems to have some issues im sticking with the previous version..one thing my scale is messed up for my pis..have to scroll with right mouse button.
16x: Pioneer DVR-108, Benq DW-1620A, Benq DW1655, NEC ND3500A, Plextor PX-716A, LG LG4163, Liteon SOHW-1693, NEC 4550, Pioneer DVR-111D
18x: Plextor 760A
Jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004   #270
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamos
fyi 2.2.2 seems to have some issues im sticking with the previous version..one thing my scale is messed up for my pis..have to scroll with right mouse button.
Yea, 2.2.2 is incomplete and released before it was really ready... the author is said to be preparing to release a new version in the near future to address all the issues in 2.2.2.
"You don't have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when your own ox is being gored. You do have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when the government tries to censor the speech of those who are goring your ox." -Alan M. Dershowitz

LiteOn Stuff: LiteOn F.A.Q. | OmniPatcher | DVD-Writer Overview | Changing Write Strategies | Crossflashing | XFlash Utility
General Stuff: DVD-Writer F.A.Q. | Rules of the Optical Drive Forums | Attaching Scans | The rpc1.org Firmware Database
Code Guys: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/ | send us e-mail

I Use: Firefox + QuickDrag + NoRedirect + URL Flipper | Winamp | CmdOpen Shell Extension | HashCheck Shell Extension
C64K: My Travel Photos | In Retirement...
code65536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004   #271
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by code65536
Although the author of the program would be the best to answer this, my guess would be that a Linux version is not available. There are a lot of OS-specific things in KP...

__
Ok how then have a good start (ECMA 267 excepted) to code such a thing ?
I intend to develop a project like this.

Thanx
Free_Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004   #272
Waiting on Activation

Kprobe 2 will only scan at 1x...

I am trying to run some tests on Maxell (RG02) media burned in my newly modded 411s@811 (HSOE), but KProbe 2 will only read it at 1x... in the beginning section when it is starting up the drive, it seems to spin up and down a couple times, then it starts reading at 1x. In Nero DVD Speed Burn Quality Test, it never even passes the "spinning up drive" stage...

So, what causes this? If the disc reads well in KProbe2 is there any reason to consider it a bad burn? Are results at 1x similar to results at 4x (ie, valid?)

It will read other discs (including other Maxells) at 4x/Max/whatever I choose...
slow-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004   #273
Retired Moderator

Re: Kprobe 2 will only scan at 1x...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-ride
I am trying to run some tests on Maxell (RG02) media burned in my newly modded 411s@811 (HSOE), but KProbe 2 will only read it at 1x... in the beginning section when it is starting up the drive, it seems to spin up and down a couple times, then it starts reading at 1x. In Nero DVD Speed Burn Quality Test, it never even passes the "spinning up drive" stage...

So, what causes this? If the disc reads well in KProbe2 is there any reason to consider it a bad burn? Are results at 1x similar to results at 4x (ie, valid?)

It will read other discs (including other Maxells) at 4x/Max/whatever I choose...
Since it only does this with one disc, I'd say it's a problem with that disc. I've never seen such a thing myself.
Old 29-06-2004   #274
Waiting on Activation

Well, it does it with one other Maxell disc from this same spindle that was burned before I changed the drive (I ran the KProbe before the drive was changed as well).

However, the KProbe results at 1x are fantastic, although I only got to 40% before I had to leave for work, but it was in the range of this:

PI:Max=12, Avg=5
PIF:Max=2, Avg=.7

So I'm still wondering if 1x scans are valid. I'll post a graph tonight, if I have time to let it scan all the way through.
slow-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004   #275
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-ride
...I'm still wondering if 1x scans are valid. I'll post a graph tonight, if I have time to let it scan all the way through.
The 1X scans should in theory be more accurate than the ones done at 4X since KProbe must constantly poll the mediatek chipset to retrieve the error counts, therefore there should be less missed error counts for 1X scans than for 4X scans making the 1X scan error count more accurate. However it takes 4 times as long to do a 1X scan and life is short, so it seems that 4X is a good compromise. Because of this polling it is a good idea to not have the real time display turned on, or for that matter any processor intensive task. The 4X rate is used so that everyone can compare scans done under similar conditions and not have scan time be prohibitive.
BlackWolf is offline   Reply With Quote