Old 29-06-2006   #1
MyCE Resident

Roadmaster VR3 car stereo with SD card slot, USB, audio port

I just posted the article Roadmaster VR3 car stereo with SD card slot, USB, audio port.

Quote:
ROADMASTER ANNOUNCES VR3 CAR STEREO3-IN-ONE PLUG N' PLAY WITH SD CARD SLOT, USB PORT & AUDIO INPUT Listen to MP3s, iPods, MP3 Players, DVD Players, & CDs in Your Car ...
Read the full article here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12034-R...udio-port.html

Feel free to add your comments below.

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.
Crabbyappleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: Roadmaster VR3 car stereo with SD card slot, USB, audio port

Anyone vouch for this brand name? Do they normally sound pretty good? I'd be concerned the sound quality would be poor. This unit seems like a cool idea, but looks like it has a cheap build quality. I do like the idea of being able to play with removable media. Since it's solid state, it should last longer then the cd player, virtually no skipping, etc.
agentk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #3
New on Forum

Old news. Walmart has been stocking this exact stereo locally for the last month. You can even order it online for $80 at walmart.com. http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/products/?sfID1=24&productID=1652&walmartProductID=4744710 I plan on getting one as I've played with the demos at walmart and they sound pretty good.
Skrenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

Always known for CHEAP as in crappy. But for the price, and those particular features, I don't see how you could go wrong.
farmeunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #5
No longer with us

Bought one. Installed relatively easy in '97 Ford Ranger with Premium Sound System. Sounds good. One negative complaint; AUX input should have been part of unit vice part of removable faceplate. Also AUX input much lower volume level that other inputs. Would be nice if the MP3 player would take the files on a MEM-Card and play them in Track number order. Had to precede each track with track number and place in 'album' folder to play in correct sequence. Very pleased with cost/value of this unit. Considering second purchase for other vehicle.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007   #6
No longer with us

DON'T BUY IT! I had to return 1st one because usb/sd portion kept freezing up the unit. Replacement unit worked for about 2 months and then smoke started coming out of the face plate. PIECE OF CRAP! BTW I had it installed by a reputible car stereo installation business. So it WAS NOT due to installation. It is worth it to spend more money on a better unit.
Old 17-10-2007   #7
No longer with us

I second the don't buy one recommendation. Does not recognize playlists and will always start a track from the beginning after power off or mode switch.
Old 10-11-2007   #8
No longer with us

Hi, I need youre asistance, i have this estereo, but now show me a fail, on display say: ERROR 13, when try to read USB or SD, How can I do? Tanks for you atention
Old 07-12-2007   #9
No longer with us

Does the Roadmaster VR3 support the shuffle feature? Also, does this car stereo remember the song it is playing in USB/SD Memory mode after the car/engine has been off and then turned back on, or will always start a track from the beginning after power off or mode switch? Somebody please help me.
Old 21-12-2007   #10
No longer with us

The Roadmaster VR3 does support the shuffle feature, under the "RDM" label. The only setback with this car stereo, however, is that it does not remember what part of the song it was last playing on after the car has been off and then turned back on whenever in CD/USB/SD Memory mode. In other words, it will always start a track from the beginning after power off or after mode switch, which may be problematic for some--not me, though. I can live with it. Now, if this feature were implemented, not only would this marvelous stereo be innovative but celebrated as well by those alienated and disfranchised due to a missing feature. Do note that you have to press on the clock button each and every time you wish to view the time. But the advantages clearly outweigh the negatives. To have both the USB and SD Car slots actually work is more than this customer can ask for. This is truly a clever device and definitely a keeper. I haven't had any problems with this product whatsoever. Great car stereo. On that note...if you pay close attention to that movie Superbad, you'll notice that in a scene Seth has the same car stereo--well, the VRCD500SDU model, anyway--which is cool, you know, because these kids (Seth and Evan) are nerds, so you know they gotta know a thing or two about technology. That's why to see them have a Roadmaster VR3 speaks for itself. Cool movie, by the way, taking into consideration that I found Knocked Up and The 40-Year-Old Virgin boring. Further, what is the difference between this stereo and the VRCD500SDU you wonder. The 2 models are exactly the same except for the faceplate design. Nothing else changes. I know because I have both, the VRCD400SDU for myself and the other one I bought it for my brother as a present. Our VR3's are still working.
Old 08-02-2008   #11
No longer with us

Hi. I have Model VRCD400SDU.It works quite well.I just wondering if I could upgrade it?
Old 27-04-2008   #12
No longer with us

I have one of these running four speakers and 2 12 inch subs with no amp , sounds pretty good , but after just over a month , USB files will not play and neither will sd memory cards ..have yet to figure it out .. thank you
Old 26-08-2008   #13
No longer with us

Hear!...Hear! on the "don't buy" opinion! Had the unit (VRCD400SDU) professionally installed and was initially really impressed with all the features as well as the sound. Have had unit since April 2008. The stereo had a habit of going into auto scan or search mode on certain channel pre-sets while listening to those channels. The CD player skipped when hitting bumps in road, would stop playing in middle of songs until ejected and re-inserted. The CDs by the way were clean, not dirty. The CD player was also scratching my discs while it still functioned (scratches in the direction of spin). The CD player has completely crapped out now and won't play anything. A real disappointment. I for one won't buy another Roadmaster product.
Old 31-08-2008   #14
No longer with us

I'm pasting here my letter to VR3 about my issues with the 500CS. They are not perfect but worth the money for sure.
Problems with the bluetooth model:
You cannot look in mp3 folders as you can in the 400 series. The menu jumps right back out before you can select anything.
When in tuner mode on an rds channel, forget changing settings, you must go into another mode to set anything with the select button, it act's
like it does at the search folders level mentioned above, it
exits the menu.
It seems the scrolling text somehow interferes with your attempts and exits.
Setting names and number in the speed dial memory provides no way of editing. If you make a mistake, you're sunk.
The instruction manual needs ore explanations on many of the functions.
The use of examples of the functions differences in application from other similar funtions would help. One example is the descriptions on p.24 5, Automatic Scan and store "A" and "B". What is the difference?

Now for a wish list:
SAVABLE PROFILES
Setting the settings after an install is time consuming and often
unforgiving and confusing. It's particularly difficult for a non techie
person who will simply ignore all the features rather than optimize the settings, so here is a really great solution:
Create a computer program that you can load on a computer that allows you to set all your favorites, speed dial names and numbers and graphically explains the settings, then the user can save their settings to a file and load it on to a jump drive, SD card or cd. When setting up the radio for the first time or for different users there could be a submenu in the radio
the user could go into to load or restore the (profile) settings.
So if you have battery trouble you don't end up at square one, you simply make sure the card cd or drive is in the unit and go into the restore profile mode, find the file and you are up and running again.
If there was another driver that likes rock music that occasionally drives the car, his profile under another name could be on the same media or his own media, and he's up and running with all his settings, and the other persons profile would still be there as needed.
FIRMWARE UPGRADES:
Knowing the bugs I've described another advantage would be to offer firmware upgrades and fixes that also could be downloaded (uploaded) using a recordable media.
I absolutely gave up putting speed dial names and numbers in because the interface is so unforgiving and tedious, and ultimately futile when all data is lost.
You have potentially one of the greatest products out there, if it worked as advertised it would be great enough, with fixes and my suggestions it would be fabulous.
Like I said, I've installed six of these on family members cars so you know how I appreciate them as buggy as they are, but I refuse to install a bluetooth model in my personal vehicle because for me the poor mp3 search interface is a deal breaker. My vr400sdu though buggy actually allows searching folders so I'm sticking with it.
Old 03-11-2008   #15
No longer with us

"Error 13" dosent play USB or SD any more thats all i used so now all i have is a cd player or do i?? can some one tell me what this erroe is?
Old 08-11-2008   #16
No longer with us

ya me too i am getting an error message for usb slot ect.
Old 18-12-2008   #17
No longer with us

Your shit sucks I would really like it if your company could stand behind your product and make this right 200.00 dollers for my DVD sub unit it worked for about a week I plan on suing you in small claims court
Old 05-01-2009   #18
No longer with us

my vcrd500sdu stop responding to my sd card and also to my mem stick, i would like to know hat the hell is the reset button on the thing for?, i pressed the reset button hoping that it would be put back to it's original status, but nothing happens, i've looked through the booklet but there is nothing to tell you how to change this problem, you must have a idea? your the ones who are selling it, or is it just a product you sell, if so can you direct to the right person
Old 16-01-2009   #19
No longer with us

Dear Friends, I bought a VR3 sound, but do not know what would copmpativel sd card, bought a kingston and not read the songs of SD card, you could help me Sd card which is compatible with my VR3
Old 16-01-2009   #20
No longer with us

Dear Friends, I bought a VR3 sound, but do not know what would copmpativel sd card, bought a kingston and not read the songs of SD card, you could help me Sd card which is compatible with my VR3
Old 16-01-2009   #21
No longer with us

THE CLOCK ON MY UNIT WILL NOT HOLD TIME, ROADMASTER SAID PAY TO HAVE IT TAKEN OUT AND SEND IT BACK. TOLE HIM I WILL NOT BUY ANYMORE VR3
Old 17-02-2009   #22
No longer with us

worked great for yrs till a few days ago. bumped a curb lightly and audio wont work. ill only get sound when im stayin still or hitting bumps. otherwise i get no sound in my speakers and the audio will skip horirbly or not even work at all. power is workin. not useing cds got my ipod hooked up to it. ne sujestions? is it the cd player? or something with my car now?
Old 08-03-2009   #23
No longer with us

Don't waste your money. Works for less than a week and dies. Road master and vr3 is pure shot and I hope the company folds. Never again.
Old 11-03-2009   #24
No longer with us

Hey, bought the VR3 sound for my cavy and it was awesome! I moved to Minnesota where it gets really really cold (-40) and one day it just quit working. The lights come on but thats all. Any ideas? Can't say its all that bad cuz how many other stereos out there read SD and USB and AUX and CD?
Old 11-03-2009   #25
No longer with us

i have a 400sdu reads error 13 when i use sd or usb slots bought different kinds of mem chips and mem sticks no change please help