Old 08-11-2012   #1
Management

'Netflix responsible for decrease in torrent traffic'

I just posted the article 'Netflix responsible for decrease in torrent traffic' .

Quote:
According to a publication of internet research company Sandvine, Netflix is helping to fight piracy
Click to read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-res...traffic-64722/

Feel free to add your comments below.

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.
DoMiN8ToR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #2
Zod
MyCE Resident

It makes sense. People are sick of paying for overprice cable bills. All they want is an affordable way to watch tv/movies without commercials.

I also wouldn't expect the result to be the same here in Canada. The Canadian version has pretty weak selection. I would guess most people continue to pirate or find ways to trick Netflix into think their an American customer.

They key is people will pay if the product is good and its not overpriced. Piracy spiraled out of control because the media companies weren't offering any online product. Netflix helps fill that void.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #3
Video editing software expert

5% has been me watching all the seasons of breaking bad.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #4
MyCE Resident

"Netfix is helping to fight piracy"? Weren't they accused a few days ago for supplying pirated subtitles?

Of coarse, it's been said here before, more legal alternatives generally means less piracy. Giving your customers the finger = more piracy.

However, I you're old fashioned like me, odds are you prefer old-fashioned DVDs. If that's what you want, and you live in America, Blockbuster is a much better deal. Netfix charges $15.98 for DVDs, while Blockbuster charges $9.99-$19.99, depending on what plan you get.
TSJnachos117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #5
Senior Moderator

Some data.

Attached Images

Three simple rules:

1. Never Change the Deal
2. No Names.
3. Never Open the Package.

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #6
MyCE Resident Commenter

Yeah, Netflix in Canada has nowhere the selection as Netflix in the US. That's why my soon-to-be brother-in-law has modded his router to look like he's in the US. Five times the selection.
DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #7
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJnachos117 View Post
"Netfix is helping to fight piracy"? Weren't they accused a few days ago for supplying pirated subtitles?

Of coarse, it's been said here before, more legal alternatives generally means less piracy. Giving your customers the finger = more piracy.

However, I you're old fashioned like me, odds are you prefer old-fashioned DVDs. If that's what you want, and you live in America, Blockbuster is a much better deal. Netfix charges $15.98 for DVDs, while Blockbuster charges $9.99-$19.99, depending on what plan you get.
Sure, if you happen to be anywhere near a Blockbuster. I live in a metro area (Colorado Springs, CO) that has just over 500,000 people, and there are only two Blockbuster stores still open. I get my movies from Red Box because they only charge $1.60 for Bluray disks, there are six of them within five minutes of my house, and I can reserve movies on line before I go to the machine to get them.
BradWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWright View Post
I get my movies from Red Box because they only charge $1.60 for Bluray disks, there are six of them within five minutes of my house, and I can reserve movies on line before I go to the machine to get them.
That to me is the worse deal for you Netflix with the BlueRay subscription gives you way more rentals for what you pay for 1.60 each bluray and you can keep them long as you want. As I mentioned to others if you rent alot Redbox gets more revenue from you and you get less choice while on Netflix Bluray you pay monthly subscription but get many as you want and keep long as you want depending on the plan. So if you rent alot Netflix is the better way to go other wise your shelling out more then you think when you use Redbox alot they come out ahead of you. Also Netflix does have a bigger selection to choose from and waiting for it to come in the mail isn't too much of a problem.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #9
MyCE Resident

Really pirating has decline I think it has gone underground and found various proxy and other means to get their stuff on the web. If it was really decline there wouldn't be any kinda torrent traffic not decline. So to I think they are either very delusional or cherry picking data that looks favorable to them since they are a corporation and must satisfy their share-holds or investors that they are doing a good job. So for anyone to say decline in piracy is admitting is has slowed down the least bit but grown as the internet spreads and grow so does pirating and piracy that will never decline it just takes on different forms and site and proxies and do whatever wants. Piracy doesn't take a backseat they are the fore front and doubt they will decline anytime soon.

Quote:
Certain statements in this release which are not historical facts constitute forward-looking statements or forward-looking information within the meaning of applicable securities laws ("forward-looking statements") and are made pursuant to the “safe harbour” provisions of such laws.
And this statement should make one question whom interested are they really looking at the consumers or their investors???? aka MPAA/RIAA/DODD ??????

Last edited by coolcolors; 10-11-2012 at 16:50. Reason: revise
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #10
MyCE Senior Member

Just wish that the like of the MPAA and the like would realize that there is a big world out there and allow Netflix to operate world wide rather than the little corner called North America.
paulw2 is offline   Reply With Quote