Old 25-02-2012   #1
MyCE Resident

Appeals court: Fifth Amendment protections can apply to encrypted hard drives

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ard-drives.ars

You have to read the article to understand why this ruling does not apply to all encrypted drives, including the Colorado case of the banker charged with bank fraud.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012   #2
UTR
MyCE Resident

Re: Appeals court: Fifth Amendment protections can apply to encrypted hard drives

This was discussed at length in a previous thread. I figured they would rule this way because forcing a person to give up a password is the equivalent of giving testimony against themselves.
UTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012   #3
MyCE Resident

Re: Appeals court: Fifth Amendment protections can apply to encrypted hard drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTR View Post
This was discussed at length in a previous thread. I figured they would rule this way because forcing a person to give up a password is the equivalent of giving testimony against themselves.
I believe the case you refer to is the Colorado case and this ruling does not apply to her. The article explains the difference.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote