MyCE Resident

2014 Corvette Hennessey C7

2014 Corvette goes 2oo miles per hour
http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/8068187
marloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #2
UTR
MyCE Resident

I opened that link and got the same feeling as I would if I were looking at a fine looking woman! That Vette is sexy as hell. It is even more beautiful under the body panels.
UTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014   #3
MyCE Resident

My next car
jamescooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014   #4
MyCE Resident

I've never owned a Corvette but I like the older ones.
1960 or 61.
Or a 1964 Stingray with snap on hardtop. Which also has the ragtop.
Best of both worlds.
BTW since I have no plans to go 200mph . I don't need that speed or HP.
I would actually make cars that fast illegal.
One reason is any idiot that goes that fast is a danger to me & almost everyone else on the road with them. Then there are no public roads in the USA that I'm aware of that are designed for even 100mph.
Old 14-01-2014   #5
UTR
MyCE Resident

I could have a ton of fun in that car and never exceed 70 mph.

Also, quite a few professional race courses allow people to take their cars onto the track on "open track" days. Then there are the numerous 1/4 mile drag strips that one can visit. Montana used to have, and might still have, sections of interstate highway that had no speed limit. Germans would bring their cars there just to run them wide open.
Old 14-01-2014   #6
MyCE Resident

I don't have a problem with cars above a certain HP or speed rating being used for off road racing. They just shouldn't pass inspection for public road use.
I heard of the no speed limit in some areas of Montana but again this doesn't mean that those roads were designed to go any speed you could . It is never safe for anyone else on the road for a vehicle to drive even 100 mph.
In my youth & being from the muscle car generation I did drive above that ,
So I have some experence . This was always well above the speeed limit & I could have had some major tickets for this . I think the fastest I was ever caught at was 96mph.
Being older I now know I was stupid for doing that & lucky to be here.
Old 14-01-2014   #7
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

I don't go over 45mph, I am never in a rush. LOL.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014   #8
MyCE Resident

I have about 10 years to get your age now& by then I might have slowed to 45 mph.
Right now I usually drive the speed limit . On the interstate that goes across the city that is 60mph. I still drive 70mph out of town.
About 3 years ago on a trip to Colorado they have some Interstate that is 75mph.
That is what I drove & a little bit faster . Because if I didn't vehicles were constantly passing me. Actually 80mph seemed to be what the traffic was flowing.
Plenty fast for my 1980 Capri 4cyl .
Old 14-01-2014   #9

I'm more impressed with the 2015 V06, looks more impressive than the previous 30 years. Glad to finally see Chevy bring back the Z28 and SS Camaro
RhoTrux64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014   #10
Administrator & Reviewer

I drive a sports car but I never speed now.

For me it's all about performance and acceleration so it's the fun I have changing gears and getting up to the speed limit that entertains me. Also if you're sensible having the power there when you need it to overtake actually makes a faster car safer to drive.

The speed limits are different over here though and in general they're faster than they are in the US.

70mph is the norm on motorways and dual carriageways with a central reservation, 30-50mph in built up areas (depending on the road) and 60mph on any roads where speed limits aren't specified.

It's also the case that speed limits here tend to be higher for similar roads. I've driven on very wide straight roads in Florida in the backside of nowhere that would be 70mph in the UK but only 40mph out there.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
It's also the case that speed limits here tend to be higher for similar roads. I've driven on very wide straight roads in Florida in the backside of nowhere that would be 70mph in the UK but only 40mph out there.
Wombler
We call those "Speed traps" . The only reason the speed limits are there is to generate revenue. That is an assumption since I have never been to Florida but that is what they would be in Texas. And there are some here.

There is a difference between enough power & too much.
One of the first cars I learned to drive was a 1954 Buick Special.
143 hp & 3700lbs weight. Automatic transmission. This car would accelerate from zero to sixty in 10 seconds .
So considering the lighter weight of modern cars 150HP should have plenty of power. Not 700HP like this new Corvette.
Old 15-01-2014   #12
UTR
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
There is a difference between enough power & too much.
What we need and what we want are usually two different things.
Old 15-01-2014   #13
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTR View Post
What we need and what we want are usually two different things.
I have to agree with that.
If there was a $100000.00 per annum "high HP" tax on any street vehicle over 300HP (excluding semi trucks) I bet the "want" would be a lot less.
Old 15-01-2014   #14
UTR
MyCE Resident

The last thing we need is more of a "nanny state" than we already have.

Just read an article about this car and, once again, need has nothing to do with owning one.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

Embedded Images

http://www.equus-automotive.com/en_US/
Old 15-01-2014   #15
MyCE Junior Member

beautiful car
onebyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTR View Post
The last thing we need is more of a "nanny state" than we already have.
In a way that's correct.
Why not do away with speed limits anywhere & everywhere?
Why have any exhaust or muffler restrictions ? Just let anyone that wants to run strait exhaust .
No need for any lights on a car sleeker look without them.
No problem with racing slicks for tires.
Or are restrictions on all of the above actually necesary for the safety of others on the road ?
Every control is not being a "nanny state" .
IMO a car with excess HP is a danger to all on the road.
Old 15-01-2014   #17
UTR
MyCE Resident

I have a Mustang that has had many modifications over the years. At one point it had a Kenne Bell twinscrew supercharger running at 16 psi with a lot of other supporting modifications. It made an insane amount of horsepower and an incredible amount of torque.

One night my son and I were pulling out of our neighborhood and there was a lot of construction going on and the intersection sight distance was not good. I pulled out and from nowhere a car was heading right for us. I gunned the engine and because it was so powerful and the traction so good it shot the car out if the path of the oncoming vehicle. Had I been in a less powerful car I would not have been able to avoid the collision. That night all that horsepower saved us from having a very nasty accident at the least and might have saved our lives at the worst.

The point is that, just like guns, cars don't kill people, people kill people. Most vehicle accidents occur where the driver is in a stock car or one with minimal modifications so the analogy of fast cars mean more accidents is not true. Heck, most ger heads I know respect their cars too much to abuse them and/or put them at risk by driving crazy. If we all were driving around vehicles with high horsepower, mega breaks, acute handling etc. then we just might have far fewer accidents.

I put having limits on horsepower up there with the government trying to keep us from buying a large soda at the convenience store or not having a salt shaker on the table at our favorite restaurant.

Last edited by UTR; 15-01-2014 at 05:09.
Old 15-01-2014   #18
MyCE Resident

I'm sorry this is still not my fantasy machine...

I'd much rather have a 2008-ish Mercedes AMG SL65 coupe (For the Summer)
and an AMG G65 for the winter months (IF you are going to dream don't dream in COACH CLASS)
If you become annoyed with an electronic device and soothe the animal side of your nature by smashing it with a hammer some will say that you are ruled by that "animal side", However the Cerebral side that "holds the leash" of your animal side understands the basic reality that once smashed that annoying POS will never irritate you again.... it is only serendipity that you also rid yourself of some repressed rage in the process...
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014   #19
UTR
MyCE Resident

I would much rather have this:

Embedded Images

Old 15-01-2014   #20
MyCE Resident

UTR, your choice while "Fast" also would attract attention from all the wrong people... people with blue lights.

Not to mention it has a functional back seat, and a trunk so there's actually a place to put a case of wine and a bag or two of groceries...
(If you drive home with the folding hardtop up)

BTW there is a hand built 6.5Liter Twin-Turbo V12 in there somewhere
making 605hp and feeding that to it's 7speed transmission

0-60mph in 3.6 seconds (0-97kmh) and 0-100mph (161kmh) in 7.5sec, how much more do you need? (The Ford GT only shaves 0.1sec off of each of those times)

and the Mercedes has electronic ride control so you can tune it down
to it doesn't hammer pavement markers up your bum.
Attached Images

If you become annoyed with an electronic device and soothe the animal side of your nature by smashing it with a hammer some will say that you are ruled by that "animal side", However the Cerebral side that "holds the leash" of your animal side understands the basic reality that once smashed that annoying POS will never irritate you again.... it is only serendipity that you also rid yourself of some repressed rage in the process...
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014   #21
Administrator & Reviewer

And the Mercedes is more reliable too.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014   #22
UTR
MyCE Resident

I would have to rank the Ford GT as being more reliable than a MB. It uses proven parts like the 5.4L DOHC V-8 from ford's truck line and relies far less on electronics than the MB super cars. The GT is a world class performance car that can stand up to and/or outperform cars costing 3-4 times its MSRP.

Don't get me wrong, I love MB's cars and SUVs. I have many acquaintances that own MBs and they have had their fair share of problems. The one thing I have admired about MBs is the durability of their leather seats. They seem to never wear. Even after 150k miles they still look like new.
Old 15-01-2014   #23
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Has anyone mentioned the price of this 200mph vehicle? It looks very nice, but that car is for wealthy youngsters that want to impress the ladies, I don't need a car to do that, "Knowledge is Power"
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014   #24
UTR
MyCE Resident

Actually, the reasons I like the GT is first due to it honoring its racing heritage. For those that don't know, in 1966 the GT40 won the 24 Hours of Le Mans finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd that year. It won that race for four consecutive years (1966-1969). The second reason is it is a bad ass performance car that has some awesome engineering behind it. it is a true mid engine design that delivers incredible handling along with raw acceleration. The third is that the body is just sexy as hell and it looks even better in person than in the photographs.

As for attracting the wrong attention, I can drive my stock looking 1989 Mustang if that is a concern. Also, laser/RADAR guns and photo cameras don't discern what vehicle they are shooting. The majority of tickets are written by cops sitting along the highway shooting everyone as they drive by. They pick the one that gives the best revenue (i.e. the fastest car) per stop and not necessarily the sportiest.

The MSRP for the GT was 139k but it sold for around 200k when it was new. Now they can be had for near MSRP and, for the money, they are one hell of a deal.
Old 15-01-2014   #25
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

Just get a Bugatti Veyron and be done with it.
Now that's a real muscle, super car.

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is online now   Reply With Quote