Old 12-06-2006   #1
New on Forum

New LG GSA-H10L dvd burner won't recognize ANY blank dvds.

I properly installed the new burner and its related software. The burner will play DVDs and burn CDs but won't recognized any blank DVD as even being there.
The name of the device on the windows explorer is DVD-RAM Drive (E before I put in a blank DVD. After I insert a blank DVD, the name changes to CD Drive (E. When the device is playing a DVD, it says its playing a CD in the properties window.
kmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: New LG GSA-H10L dvd burner won't recognize ANY blank dvds.

Hello kmq and welcome to the forum.

Windows treats DVD drives and CD drives as one and the same thing. In fact, Windows uses the same drivers for both. Because of that, it will show a DVD writer as a CD Drive. There is nothing wrong with that.

When you say the drive won't recognise any blank DVD, did you use a proper burning program like Nero or did you try to browse a blank DVD disc with Windows explorer? I ask because Windows explorer can burn CDs but not DVDs. You have to use a proper burning program for that.
karangguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
kmq
New on Forum

I tried with nero and also with cyberlink power dvd. I selected the dvd burner as the target and inserted the blank memorex dvd disk. The program just didn't see the disk. Same thing happened in the power dvd program. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006   #4
CDFreaks Resident

sorry, but you're not too clear.
cyberlink PowerDVD is not a DVD burning program.
what do you mean you selected the dvd burner as target? what exactly were you trying to do and with what software ?
dodecahedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #5
CD Freaks Boy Toy

Anyway, Memorex really isn't the best media you can use, you should use Verbatim or TY instead Have you tried other brands of media?
Does DVD Identifier recognize your disc?

Facebook page: Say NO to overpriced books in Germany

My collection:
Plextor PX-716UF 1.09 (TLA #0202), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Samsung SE-S224Q TS02, Plextor PX-712UF 1.04 (TLA #0104), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.02 (TLA #0102), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Plextor PX-716UF 1.07 (TLA #0307), Lite-On LH-18A1H HL05, Philips JackRabbit JR32RWDVK P1.3, Philips JackRabbit JR24CDRW 1.01, LG GH22NP20 2.00, Matshita UJ-898 HC10, Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0D, Plextor PX-716UF 1.11 (TLA #0204), LG GSA-H22N 1.00, Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309)
+ Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309), BenQ DW1655 BCDB, Samsung TS-L632B TM31, Lite-On LTR-16101B TS0W
Lite-On SHM-165P6SU MS0P (mechanical failure), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.?? (TLA #0102) (DVD optical part died), LG GSA-H10N @ H12N UJ12 (broken tray), BenQ DW1650 BCIC (sold), Lite-On SHW-16H5S @ 1635S YS0Z (lost in a fire), LG GCE-8527B 1.04 (optical part died), Samsung TS-L632H SC04 (sold), Canon Pixma iP4300 (printer head broken)
kg_evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #6
kmq
New on Forum

I was trying to make an exact copy of a dvd disk (non-commercial, not copy protected).
I put the original in the dvd-Rom and the blank in the LG dvd-ram burner. I told the program to copy the original disk onto the blank. I tried this with the Nero program and the Cyberlink power producer program (dvd authoring, editing, burning program).

I as a test, I tried copying this same Dvd to the same kind of blank dvd on a friend's computer and it copied easily. Thanks.
Old 13-06-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

It doesn't really qualify the discs, unfortunately. Memorex does not manufacture its own media, but rather it gets other manufacturers (usually crappy ones) to make discs for it and rebrands them. Which manufacturer supplies it with discs varies from time to time, so there is no way to tell what you are really getting each time you buy these discs, except that they are probably crappy.

LG's writers have never liked poor quality media much. For that reason, you can use crappy discs on another brand of writer and they may work, but they may not work with your LG writer. We don't recommend them anyway, since although they may work, they may not be able to last down the road.

kg's suggestion about using DVD Identifier is valid, since it will help us find out who made those discs and if they are supported by your writer. It is possible that the discs are not supported by the writer and that is why the writer will not recognise them. If DVD Identifier cannot return any sort of media code, we will then know that your writer does not support those discs.
karangguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007   #8
New on Forum

I just installed an LG GSA-H55N and the same thing is happening to me. The unit reads and burns CD's. It also plays DVD's, but absolutely will not recognize a blank DVD. I have tried several manufacturers and DVD-R and DVD+R both to no avail! Anyone have a suggestion? I have sent an email to LG, but I need to burn a few DVD's in a few days.

TIA!
Jackie
AdkGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmq View Post
I was trying to make an exact copy of a dvd disk (non-commercial, not copy protected).
I put the original in the dvd-Rom and the blank in the LG dvd-ram burner. I told the program to copy the original disk onto the blank. I tried this with the Nero program and the Cyberlink power producer program (dvd authoring, editing, burning program).

I as a test, I tried copying this same Dvd to the same kind of blank dvd on a friend's computer and it copied easily. Thanks.
What error message did you get.
Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 CPU Cooler
2Seagate 500GB SATA
GForce 9500GT
4 GB Crucial RAM
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22" WideScreen
EnerMax Chakra Full Tower
Logitech MX 518SE
Logitech Wave Keyboard
Logitech X-240 Speakers
Liteon iHAS324/Liteon iHAS424/Liteon eHAU424 Real LiteOns
pfloyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by karangguni View Post
It doesn't really qualify the discs, unfortunately. Memorex does not manufacture its own media, but rather it gets other manufacturers (usually crappy ones) to make discs for it and rebrands them. Which manufacturer supplies it with discs varies from time to time, so there is no way to tell what you are really getting each time you buy these discs, except that they are probably crappy.

LG's writers have never liked poor quality media much. For that reason, you can use crappy discs on another brand of writer and they may work, but they may not work with your LG writer. We don't recommend them anyway, since although they may work, they may not be able to last down the road.

kg's suggestion about using DVD Identifier is valid, since it will help us find out who made those discs and if they are supported by your writer. It is possible that the discs are not supported by the writer and that is why the writer will not recognise them. If DVD Identifier cannot return any sort of media code, we will then know that your writer does not support those discs.
I've also just installed an LG GSA-H55N and the same thing is happening to me. I've also installed dvd identifier and it read the dvd... my dvd drive still changes to cd after i put a blank dvd in... I AM STUCK, Please help... Im contemplating taking it back to the store while i still can.
Buzzumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #11
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkGal View Post
I just installed an LG GSA-H55N and the same thing is happening to me. The unit reads and burns CD's. It also plays DVD's, but absolutely will not recognize a blank DVD. I have tried several manufacturers and DVD-R and DVD+R both to no avail! Anyone have a suggestion? I have sent an email to LG, but I need to burn a few DVD's in a few days.

TIA!
Jackie
My problem is resolved with this burner!!!

I found the culprit! I found a firmware update for my old burner on my hard drive. Once this was removed, the new LG burner works perfectly.

Good Luck!
Jackie
AdkGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkGal View Post
My problem is resolved with this burner!!!

I found the culprit! I found a firmware update for my old burner on my hard drive. Once this was removed, the new LG burner works perfectly.

Good Luck!
Jackie

May you meant "replaced" or re-flashed"???

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote