Old 30-04-2011   #1
MyCE Resident

What software do you use with AnyDVD HD to rip DVD or Blu-ray to hard drive?

I was hoping to learn what programs people are using with AnyDVD HD to rip a movie they have bought to their hard drive. DVD or Blu-ray formats please. Before I have used DVD Shrink but would ask what others use especially for the Blu-ray format.

Thank you for helping
SubZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: What software do you use with AnyDVD HD to rip DVD or Blu-ray to hard drive?

There is Imgburn for 1:1 copy. If you need compression try ClownBD or BD Rebuilder.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011   #3
Administrator

Re: What software do you use with AnyDVD HD to rip DVD or Blu-ray to hard drive?

You should use the built-in ripper within AnyDVD HD to rip your blu ray movies SubZero. I normally rip as an ISO and mount it in Slysoft's VirtualClone Drive if I need to work with it, but you can rip as files also.

MakeMKV is another tool for ripping blu ray, and can do its own decryption. It is free while in beta, and seems to stay in beta perpetually. You can download new beta keys from their forum in this thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
MakeMKV can rip the entire disk, or can make an mkv file from the main movie. MakeMKV also works for dvds to make mkv files. It doesn't seem to get updated as quickly as AnyDVD however, and MakeMKV doesn't compress to smaller sizes.

If you want other suggestions for working with blu ray, I know of some, but that is a little different subject than ripping from the disk to the hard drive.

By the way, Dr. Who, ClownBD doesn't compress Blu ray, just lets you select certain sections. It can convert to dvd-video, but only though the command line.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

Thank you for reply both of you so far

Of one thing, I have not consistent success with using AnyDVD HD to rip or just copying folders to hard drive. I cannot get that to work for me still after trying many times.

For DVD I can use DVD Shrink even on newer titles that DVD Shrink alone cannot decrypt and it works I think all of the time. I have good success with loading AnyDVD then using Shrink.

I did not want yet to try to see of using the FAB product with AnyDVD HD and seek to find single program to handle all protections and wish to avoid decrypting conflicts or errors. I am told that the single best is to use AnyDVD HD and no other and it will always work to decrypt so wish to try to follow the help suggestions about AnyDVD HD so I ask of ways to pull data from optical to computer drive as I have trouble using only AnyDVD HD built-in tools for this.

I will seek to read about ImgBurn for pulling DVD and Blu-ray both from optical to computer drive with AnyDVD HD loaded as driver. Thank you for helping me to learn now possible way. I do not think I would have put that together in my mind as a way of doing it. ImgBurn sound to be very much more powerful than I thought. It does more than I was aware.

Thank you for helping
Old 30-04-2011   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Of one thing, I have not consistent success with using AnyDVD HD to rip or just copying folders to hard drive. I cannot get that to work for me still after trying many times.
Without a log file or error screen shot there not much anyone can help you on what the problem is. Just saying general problems without any specifics don't give anyone much to go on or know what is happening.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011   #6
MyCE Resident

Thanks Kerry forgot about that. I never tried it hence I forgot. With ClownBD though what you take out can make it fit on a 25 gig BD Disc though. Not always.
Old 30-04-2011   #7
Administrator

I don't know what to tell you SubZero. I've never had AnyDVD HD fail to rip a movie, either blu ray or dvd. I have to assume you know how to access it---right click the fox icon at the bottom right and select Rip to Image or Rip Video DVD to Harddisk. Slysoft doesn't recommend using it to rip dvds to image by the way. If you want an ISO from a dvd, its best to use ImgBurn, either after you rip to files, or straight from the dvd while AnyDVD HD is running.

As coolcolors said, we'd need more information.
Old 30-04-2011   #8
MyCE Resident

I usually use CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD to do DVD rips. I have used AnyDVD to do a rip as a test .
I remember when AnyDVD would only rip to .iso so it's interesting that slysoft doesn't recommend this.
The only time I've had the combo above fail is with a very scratched DVD .
I used AnyDVD in combination with h2cdimage & have no problems . This results in an uncompressed decrypted .iso image . This can be mounted in a virtual drive & then compressed. When working with this .iso I usually mount it in Virtual CloneDrive from slysoft. Rerip it uncompressed with CloneDVD2 (this way it doesn't transcode) to remove the extras & any Audio tracks I don't want . Then I use DVDRebuilder to compress it to single layer .
I don't yet have any blu ray equipment so no advice on it.
Old 30-04-2011   #9
MyCE Resident

@cholla for BD backups? See the first post again.
Old 30-04-2011   #10
MyCE Resident

@ Dr. Who , Since I don't have a BD drive yet I can't do anything with a blu ray disc.
If blu ray stays around long enough & DVD's are no longer used I may get a blu ray drive.
Right now DVD's are fine for my needs & look good enough to my eyes even on a wide flat screen.
One thing I find interesting is my standalone DVD player that upconverts to 1080P has a much better picture using component than HDMI . ( Both do 1080P) .My unit is a LG.
A friends Samsung seems to do both equally well . Both were tested on my wide screen TV.
Old 01-05-2011   #11
MyCE Resident

That's understandable. I have bad eyes so I don't see much difference but the wife does but boy I hear the difference.
Old 01-05-2011   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
Without a log file or error screen shot there not much anyone can help you on what the problem is. Just saying general problems without any specifics don't give anyone much to go on or know what is happening.
I have not yet done this as I was only messaged when I posted and told of FAB being not good to use and saying AnyDVD HD was only program that works properly so I try to take advice and try new AnyDVD HD. I will keep trying for seeking of success in using it.
Old 01-05-2011   #13
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
I don't know what to tell you SubZero. I've never had AnyDVD HD fail to rip a movie, either blu ray or dvd. I have to assume you know how to access it---right click the fox icon at the bottom right and select Rip to Image or Rip Video DVD to Harddisk. Slysoft doesn't recommend using it to rip dvds to image by the way. If you want an ISO from a dvd, its best to use ImgBurn, either after you rip to files, or straight from the dvd while AnyDVD HD is running.
Thank you for reply.

Slysoft says to not use command from right click menu to rip disk? Is it there for a reason if we are to not use it?

Thank you
Old 01-05-2011   #14
Administrator

Slysoft recommends using right click and Rip Video DVD to Harddisk if you are ripping a dvd.

If you are ripping a blu ray disk, you can use either Rip to Image or Rip Video DVD to Harddisk.

So in other words, they don't recommend ripping a dvd to an ISO using their built in ripping capability in AnyDVD HD. But you can rip to files or an ISO when working with a blu ray. Either method gives you the entire movie on the hard drive, so you can't select just the main movie using the built in ripping section of AnyDVD.

I suspect this has something to do with the structural protection added to many dvds these days. A dvd with simple CSS protection alone would probably work just fine going to an ISO using the built in ripper. But this is just speculation on my part.

Edit: Found the advice on the Slysoft forum, and it supports my speculation: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=328
Old 01-05-2011   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Slysoft recommends using right click and Rip Video DVD to Harddisk if you are ripping a dvd.

If you are ripping a blu ray disk, you can use either Rip to Image or Rip Video DVD to Harddisk.

So in other words, they don't recommend ripping a dvd to an ISO using their built in ripping capability in AnyDVD HD. But you can rip to files or an ISO when working with a blu ray. Either method gives you the entire movie on the hard drive, so you can't select just the main movie using the built in ripping section of AnyDVD.

I suspect this has something to do with the structural protection added to many dvds these days. A dvd with simple CSS protection alone would probably work just fine going to an ISO using the built in ripper. But this is just speculation on my part.
Thank you again for reply

I will have good luck ripping both DVD and Blu-ray with ImgBurn if I load AnyDVD HD driver then rip to ISO then?

Is that best method for use of AnyDVD HD?

Thank you
Old 01-05-2011   #16
Administrator

I'm not so sure making the ISO straight from the disk would be the best idea...I know it was mentioned before, but ImgBurn will reproduce the structural protections, just like the ripper in AnyDVD.

So, if you want an ISO file from the dvd, I would rip the entire dvd to the hard drive as files using AnyDVD HD . Then import the files into ImgBurn to make the ISO. This might be overkill....being very cautious...but it would probably be the best solution if an ISO is what you want from a dvd. If AnyDVD shows that the dvd has no structural protection, just CSS, then you can use it to make the ISO without having to go to the trouble of ripping as files and then using ImgBurn.

When working with a blu ray, AnyDVD HD can make the ISO for you without worrying about structural protection schemes...they don't exist in blu ray.
Old 01-05-2011   #17
MyCE Resident

Correct Kerry if I recall correctly had to do with not removing certain things all the time causing playback issues, But using a BD rip to ISO seems to be okay I take it.
Old 01-05-2011   #18
MyCE Resident

Quote:
I'm not so sure making the ISO straight from the disk would be the best idea...I know it was mentioned before, but ImgBurn will reproduce the structural protections, just like the ripper in AnyDVD.

So, if you want an ISO file from the dvd, I would rip the entire dvd to the hard drive as files using AnyDVD HD . Then import the files into ImgBurn to make the ISO. This might be overkill....being very cautious...but it would probably be the best solution if an ISO is what you want from a dvd. If AnyDVD shows that the dvd has no structural protection, just CSS, then you can use it to make the ISO without having to go to the trouble of ripping as files and then using ImgBurn.

When working with a blu ray, AnyDVD HD can make the ISO for you without worrying about structural protection schemes...they don't exist in blu ray.
Thank you for reply

For part of it, it would seem to be that I am not only one having issues using built-in AnyDVD HD ripping option, so I may not be at fault full on the problems I have found so far.

For DVD I have great success to rip with DVD Shrink with AnyDVD HD driver loaded and active. This works and is reliable so that I can stop a diagnosing of what problems happen with AnyDVD HD built-in ripper for DVD.

I will use 3rd party Blu-ray program mentioned earlier also in conjunction with AnyDVD HD so that AnyDVD HD only provides decrypt not rip and should also avoid problem that I and others are to be having.

I think to my mind I have it sorted out and know what to do to make it work reliably for me.

I thank you all for helping
Old 08-05-2011   #19
MyCE Resident

I find using of AnyDVD HD less easy than I would want so thank user for suggestion but think AnyDVD HD is not for me. The free fab decrypter is simple for rip of DVD or Blu-ray and I can rip without other program at all. I also save money by using free so that is also good. I glad I try AnyDVD HD so I know how to work it though.

Thank you for helping
Old 08-05-2011   #20
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
I find using of AnyDVD HD less easy than I would want so thank user for suggestion but think AnyDVD HD is not for me. The free fab decrypter is simple for rip of DVD or Blu-ray and I can rip without other program at all. I also save money by using free so that is also good. I glad I try AnyDVD HD so I know how to work it though.

Thank you for helping
That is the whole reason for most of the good software companies giving a free trial fully functional , so you can see if you like it before you plunk down any cash, I wish more people would use this free trial like you did, then we wouldnt have people crying foul after the fact. Good job SubZero.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013   #21
MyCE Junior Member

MakeMKV seems to work really well. It does not need AnyDVD and it is still free. Works with Blu Ray or DVD and ISO images. The ISO images do not have to be mounted.
warday is offline   Reply With Quote